SevOne "great people" Reviews | Glassdoor

SevOne Employee Reviews about "great people"

Updated May 13, 2019

SevOne CEO Jack Sweeney
Jack Sweeney
Pros
  • "A lot of great people worked here and it was ultimately a positive mark on my career(in 15 reviews)

• "It is still a great place to work(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "Is currently going through growing pains(in 13 reviews)

• "Upper management is a total disgrace: self-centered, egomaniacal jerks(in 8 reviews)

Reviews about "great people"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Corporate Associate"

I worked at SevOne

Pros

Great people, team and HR leadership. Flexible and accommodating with grad school hours.

Cons

Like most growing companies, there are challenges with maintaining an awesome culture as more controls get put in place. SevOne does a great job with this, however, and is likely to only get better.

SevOne2016-05-12

"It was okay."

Former Employee - Manager of Business Development in Newark, DE

I worked at SevOne full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A lot of great people worked here and it was ultimately a positive mark on my career.

Cons

Not so great executive leadership

SevOne2019-05-13
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

"The people"

I worked at SevOne full-time

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Need to grow quicker in this market

SevOne2018-04-18

"Time to go, been a good run"

I worked at SevOne full-time

Pros

Great people that care about the customers and company success Good product Excellent support team Good services group Awesome customer list

Cons

Reducing cost is the main focus Slow to invest, slow to get results Try to do too much with too little. Expectations too high, investment too low Heavy workload. Long hours. High burnout rate Sales tired of fighting accounting for commissions earned Attitude not to pay comes from the top, make you fight for it to wear you down Accounting eliminated more items from commissions , maint, h/w Didn't want to pay commissions for services, but it's the only way to sell anything Was nothing to sell, customer wanted to buy more but truck is empty Teams are motivationally bankrupt Couldn't handle the truth. Don't want to hear it. It won't go away by ignoring it People hoping to escape before getting shot at the border

Advice to Management

Don't let accounting run sales anymore, more people will try to escape Stop SVP turnover Hire an experienced person (people if you crack open the wallet) for solutions Hire more developers Reduce burnout. People need resources to do the job. Customers see it If you care, people are at their breaking point and customer too You are strangling the company with frugality Treat people like assets, not like an expense you delete to increase profit "Treat your employees exactly the way you want them to treat your best customers"

SevOne2018-02-16

"Executive Account Manager"

Former Employee - Sales - Account Manager in Wilmington, DE

I worked at SevOne full-time for less than a year

Pros

I had autonomy to create my own business. They offered a lot of training to help me get up to speed. I liked the startup feel and the technology seemed cutting edge. I met a lot of great people and am still in contact with them to this day.

Cons

Everyone I worked with, the management that hired me, and the team of sales people are all gone now; even the guy who started the damn company left. That has to tell you something about the "culture of awesome". It's all talk and no show. They want to be this big company, go IPO. It's run by Bain Capital. Enough said.

Advice to Management

I have no advice for management. They have an idea in their head that they will make a product that they hope will be purchased for more than it's worth by a company who needs to innovate through acquisition. I give them another three years before Bain pulls the plug and sells off. Get a job here if you just need a paycheck.

SevOne2016-11-16

"Typical Venture Funded Knee Jerk Reaction."

Former Employee - Regional Director in Newark, DE

I worked at SevOne full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most of my colleagues are great people who cared about the company and tried their best to make the company perform. Scalability of the product was excellent. Vision on where to go was solid. Standard benefits and stock options were provided to most except for the recent hires.

Cons

Many good people were laid off as the executive team didn't understand the extended sales cycle of being able to sell the complete solution of managing the whole infrastructure stack and into the cloud. Poor execution on management by continuing to hire even though the revenues were not coming in as planned, but pipeline continued to build but at much longer sales cycle. Sales relationships don't get built overnight and they laid off people who were producing and kept ones who were brand new. That doesn't make any sense. Product didn't not evolve as quickly as it needed to. Especially plugins for legacy infrastructure or even new technologies. Too heavy on senior executives, especially with the move of the HQ to Boston. They removed themselves into the ivory tower. Founders left after the big layoff, EVP of Sales and Services was let go as he was not a motivator and too far removed and executed poorly.

Advice to Management

Too often great companies are ruined by new venture funding. Mass hiring does not mean you will always meet your goals, especially when the market changes. Get rid of the many top heavy executives. You should have kept the ones who had developed solid customer relationships and increased pipeline. Better communication with the board/investors should have kept expectations in check. The sales cycle is 12-24+ months, so don't layoff people if they have been building pipeline and contributing positive revenues in within a year or less as that isn't expected. Executives who okayed that should have been let go for making irrational decisions.

SevOne2016-11-14

"Awesome Companies Don't Act Like This"

I worked at SevOne full-time for more than a year

Pros

Many of my coworkers were great people, but executive leadership needs to change quickly!

Cons

No direction. You can't say you have a "Culture of Awesome" and lay off 30-40% of your employees with no forewarning and terrible severance packages.

Advice to Management

Start over and find an identity.

SevOne2016-08-02

"Executives lack the leadership skills to get to the next level."

in Boston, MA

I have been working at SevOne for more than 3 years

Pros

Every company has at least a few great people, and if you are fortunate enough to work with a few at SevOne it might actually be almost bearable for you here.

Cons

At SevOne it is unfortunately only very few great people, and the great-to-poor ratio only gets worse as one moves up the org chart. The executive team seems content to try to manage the downward spiral instead of leading us out of it. At the end of the day that is the real problem. Real leadership is non-existent. Of course to lead there has to be a destination, and I have yet to hear any practical plan to make any significant changes. I have talked to people in the organization who have solid ideas about how to turn things around, but they are mostly squashed by the arrogant attitudes and actions of the executive team.

Advice to Management

Get over yourselves and REALLY LISTEN to the people in the organization. I hear better ideas from them than I have yet to hear from anyone else VP level and above.

SevOne2016-07-14

"Was once a great company..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, DE

I worked at SevOne full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

SevOne is poised to dominate in the network performance management space. The team was like one huge family across the world. Great work environment, great people who appreciated what you did, good mid-level managers who cared about you as a person, wonderful product owners, and an awesome new facility in the heart of Newark, DE. There were many perks as well, such as free lunches every other day, good work/life balance, fair pay rates, and a fun atmosphere!

Cons

One huge misstep was the Bain investment and the desire to grow way too fast. In doing so, SevOne became uber-corporate, and while the "culture of awesome" remained among the mid-level managers and individual contributors who were making the company's gears actually turn, the senior execs tucked themselves away in their new Boston HQ and fell victim to the temptation of the almighty dollar and corporate America. SevOne didn't make its revenue numbers for 2015, and so Bain's punishment was a reduction in workforce that had no basis in an individual's performance, dedication, or contribution. They tore apart family and friends without warning, and the layoff process consisted of a meeting with HR followed by being escorted out the same day as if you didn't matter at all.

Advice to Management

Drop Bain Capital and all of its influence. Go back to being a family again and grow at a slow, even pace. Slow and steady wins the race! Give people a chance based on recommendation and base all of your firing on job performance, not how much money the company is making. To really succeed at being an awesome company you have to treat your workforce as well as, if not better than your customers. Beyond what they can do for you, they are people with lives and families.

SevOne2016-03-24
  11. "Love it here!"

Delaware in Newark, DE

I have been working at SevOne

Pros

Great work life balance, awesome perks (free lunch twice a week, coffee, snacks, games) and ability to work from home when needed. Great culture of work hard, play hard. Direct exposure to CEO and founders. Great people and awesome new building and location

Cons

nothing that I can pin point

Advice to Management

Have more town halls and question/updates with CEO instead of quarterly or addressing issues.

SevOne2016-03-09