Seven Step RPO Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Paul Harty

Pros
  • You can learn a lot here about yourself and about recruiting if you stick it out (in 13 reviews)

• SSR gave me an opportunity to start as entry-level and learn how to recruit for hard-to-fill IT jobs (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • All positions hiring for now are entry level (in 17 reviews)

• Want to feel like you're in high school again in almost every facet, including everyone sleeping with everyone else (in 11 reviews)

1. "Couple months in"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Seven Step RPO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Quite frankly, I was a little scared to join the Denver team based on the reviews I saw on glass door. Sounded like there was a lot of turnover and management would always be looking over your shoulder. So far I have come to really enjoy working here. I couldn't get a job fresh out of college and went to work at a place where my degree was wasted away. I was stuck in a hole and had no way go get out of it. I was micromanaged and cursed out by customers almost daily. Thankfully SSR gave me the opportunity to work for them and I have shown them what I can do. I do not feel as if I am micromanaged at all. It seems like some of the reviews have come from individuals who were babied most of their lives. If you were raised to work hard and not complain about everything then I would recommend this company. Of course I agree with mostly everyone else before me about it being a job to start you career. Can't see myself here past 3 years but it is possible. You get out what you put in. This job is about relationships as is any job. Some reviews said that if you aren't liked you dont get promoted..... Duh.... That goes for any company. If you make your boss's job difficult then why would they like you. If you make your boss's job easier then they like you. Life lesson right there folks. This job does fit with my personaloty as well, I am very sarcastic and don't take anything seriously so I never have issues with anyone. I do agree that handling everything that is thrown at you is a challenge but once you are helping other... You get promoted. Team managers seem to listen to their recruiters needs pretty decently.

Cons

Yea the pay isn't great, but those 40k-50k a year jobs we all dreamed about right out of college are usually given to people whos daddys "know someone". Yes you start from the bottom but that is reality. Almost everywhere you go you will start at the bottom and work your way up. Great job out of college to teach you some professionalism and how to work hard and be productive.
    Sucks that you must be a recruiter for a year before you get promoted to senior. Preformance reviews are only once a year and your pay percentage increase decreases as you are promoted higher. A few things that exist in most companies that I don't exactly like but you must prove your worth by being a consistent producer for the company. One last thing, I have seen what seems to be signs of managers slowly removing recruiters from accounts and Maybe trying to get them to leave the company by being difficult. Not positive but that seems to be the case. If that starts happening to you at least you know to start looking for another job.

Advice to Management

Maybe change that performance review to twice a year instead of every April. Lower the percentage increase to 10% and have them every April and October or something.

2. "Great experience, big clients and team focused"

Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Seven Step RPO full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The open environment is not for everyone but it is a huge pro for me. It allows teammates to interact, learn from each other, talk about situations, get help real time and makes it easy to have team huddles in the morning or whenever needed. The RPO model is also great, job security for those at SSR, even if one client's hiring is slower, another is spiking and teammates will be moved to impact that client while learning new skills sets. We have big names clients, many are expanding and signing long term deals. The location is great, medical benefits are not expensive and very good. The teams are all working super hard and are supportive of each other. SSR is now global, room to grow and be promoted is endless, literally everyone is being trained to take the spot of the person in front of them so that person can be moved, promoted or impact an expanding account. If you work hard, do things beyond your own desk and team, you will get promoted! You may even make your own role that does not yet exist, it has happened a lot

Cons

No matching 401k, sometimes the demand of the client can be a lot with high expectations of long hours, but that is with any company and is not long term, it can be seasonal or based on client hiring. With any growing company, (SSR was founded in 2007), there are lots of changes and some growing pains, but SSR handles them well and most are necessary - like review cycles changing or review process in general. The company adapts well to growth. the company is all about being team oriented (a plus), but lately more and more remote/virtual teammates are being hired in, although they are strong teammates, they are senior level and would impact SSR even more if in a delivery center and would keep the foundation of what SSR was built on strong.

Advice to Management

Think about how many teammates are remote/virtual and if that is really where SSR wants to go. More robust leadership training is ideal, it could be robust, extensive and longer and would help development many layers in the organization

"A Place to Build a Skill Set, Not a Career"

Current Employee - Lead in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Lead in Boston, MA

I have been working at Seven Step RPO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Seven Step is, in many ways, what you make of it, which is to say that your experience of it depends on what you are willing to put in and not just what you expect of the company. If you want your experience to be positive, you have to meet the company half way. You have to show up on time, be willing to learn, have a good attitude, and put your best foot forward. If someone has had a bad experience, it’s likely because that person hasn’t even done the bare minimum for the above. Luckily, in recent years, we’ve raised the bar with our hiring and become more selective, weeding out those who are simply not a cultural fit (i.e. lazy). Sometimes we make mistakes with hiring (like the few bad eggs rambling on about how awful the company is), but overall, the caliber of new hires has risen dramatically and we’re seeing that reflected in the work.

If you can meet the company half way and do as I mentioned above, there are benefits that come with that:

Promotions (I was promoted twice in less than two years)
    Pay Raises (I received nearly the full 15% on my annual reviews)
    Cheap Life Insurance (Literally a few pennies each day)
    Decent vacation Time (It increases as you move up the ranks)
    Paid Company Travel (To meet clients and be part of job fairs, brainstorming sessions, and quarterly reviews)
    Networking Opportunities (Within and outside of the company)
    Exceptional Training (Not only for Seven Step, but the professional world if it’s your first job out of college)
    Face time with executives and higher level management (The tiers don’t always feel like tiers)
    Flex Hours

Cons

While Seven Step is great in many ways, it’s not all rainbows and butterflies. The pros are only balanced by the cons.

Development is not a priority and always takes a back seat to the needs of the clients.
    Some managers are not equipped for the roles they are in and were very clearly only promoted due to tenure.
    The company isn’t great about being transparent about things that directly affect you. (e.g. movement from one account to another)
    Work/life balance depends entirely upon the account you’re on. (For some accounts, overtime is strongly encouraged.)
    If you’re not interested in going the manager route, you have limited options. (A recent review on here says people make their own roles “a lot” of the time, which is simply not true. It has happened three or four times in as many years. It comes with the business realizing as it grows that it’s missing something so they create a role to fill that need.)
    Management wants so badly to be “cool,” that they forget professionalism. (Screaming and swearing across the office from the management team stopped being cool day one.)

Advice to Management

Currently, Seven Step is only a place to build a skill set, not a career. The fact that the majority of the employees need to advocate for themselves (well beyond what is reasonable) and tell their managers (repeatedly) that they should be having development discussions is ridiculous. Development needs to be a priority at all levels. If you can't make it a priority, those who haven't left already eventually will.

5. "The SSR Experience"

Current Employee - Lead Recruiter in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Lead Recruiter in Boston, MA

I have been working at Seven Step RPO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Entry level - GREAT learning curve. Especially for someone like myself who had 0 experience in recruiting/HR
    Great exposure - whether you're client facing or candidate facing, you will get a ton of exposure to various industries/job markets/types of candidates
    Opportunity - If you don't like a certain aspect, you have the ability to move within the company to find a better suited role/account
    Culture - You're naive if you think you won't find cliques at ANY company, but despite that we have a pretty great work environment. People get along, we come together, celebrate wins together, help each other out as needed together. We work hard during the day/week and have fun hanging out together after hours as well.
    Location - Downtown Boston. I'll leave it at that.
    Leadership - There are favorites here, but again, there are everywhere if you're honest about it. BUT we are lucky to have such a variety of talent in our Senior leadership and that they act like real people!
    Training - Aside from the 2 weeks of "New Hire Training", there are continuously training classes on a whole variety of topics.
    Growth - This is in terms of 2 types of growth. The first is your career. If you work hard, you will get rewarded and be promoted. If you don't, well then don't expect a promotion because you think you have been here long enough to get it. It's simple. The second growth I refer to is the company itself. We started as a Boston based company and then expanded to Denver, and Devon and now are growing beyond that to other countries! What a time to be involved with a company growing like this - it's so exciting! So many opportunities to meet coworkers from different countries as well!

Cons

To be fair, the pay sucks at first. BUT if you put it into perspective, it's ENTRY level. NO SKILLS required. So it's tough the first year, but the incentive is there. You will see increases year over year that make it worth it.
    There is favoritism - no two ways around it. It's easy to pick out the favorite child for that period of time.
    There can be a college-ish vibe with some of the people who act that way, but as mentioned above - work hard play hard and we all get along. But you can tell the younger people from the more mature due to their behaviors outside of the working hours.
    Unfortunately, some accounts will stunt your growth while others will help it flourish. It's important to develop relationships with your directors though so you can feel comfortable enough with voicing your concerns.
    Upper management acts like we are on a very tight budget, but then the corporate cards are thrown around more then they should be.

Advice to Management

Try to get better at telling the company one thing and doing the other, because we notice! BUT overall, it's been great! My experience here has been wonderful - I've made great friends, learned SO much, pushed myself (thanks to my manager, teammates and Director) to places I didn't know I could get to and am in the presence of intelligent people!

6. "Sourcing Specialist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Seven Step RPO full-time

Pros

Good training, possibilities for growth.

Cons

They don't care about you as a person, pay WELL below average base, no commissions, generally miserable to go into work every day.

"Great place for learning recruiting"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Seven Step RPO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

SSR is built, quite literally, to be a training ground for recruiters. You can join the company with no skills whatsoever and you get trained up on how to be a great recruiter. Anyone who has been at the company for more than 3+ years, you can bet they are talented. You can learn a lot here about yourself and about recruiting if you stick it out.

Cons

There are well run teams, and not well run teams. If you are on a great team you are in luck. If you aren't on a great team, prepare to get crushed or burn out quickly.

Lots of outside hires lately means less promotion opportunities from within. But if you kiss up enough, you WILL get promoted.

They are losing clients because of the quality the work.

Lots of high school drama.

Company is very disorganized and is stumbling as they try to expand.

Phones go down all the time.

Advice to Management

The promotion routine is rife with favoritism not based on any objective criteria such as performance. You force out great people who aren't part of the IN crowd. Replace the promotion criteria with a fair comparison of each person against the bar for their position. Force managers to actually learn how to manage. I was a manager here and saw "behind the curtain" where you are forced to give employees a rating due to politics.

Upper management is not aware about the goings on. Lots of problems are hidden because you don't monitor middle management.

Ask for unvarnished feedback and LISTEN instead of blaming.

Be aware that the comp plan is low.

"Recruiter"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Seven Step RPO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They are constantly hiring new employees.

Cons

I was an employee with Seven Step for 7 months and it was 7 months too long. The office environment is overbearing, pay is not great, and the majority of the employees are egotistical and unprofessional.

Advice to Management

Change the structure of employee promotion eligibility, listen to your employees, and trust in their competency.

"If you dont have to, dont!"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Boston, MA

I have been working at Seven Step RPO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent Benefits, Great location, Understanding about if you are engaged in other things.

Cons

Horrible salary, only care about employees when you leave, a lot of micromanaging from Management. You will be asked to switch team and given empty promises, but at the end of the day the client is what they care about.

Advice to Management

Please stop micro-managing employees, give them autonomy to work and get the job done. Do not hire so many entry level employees if you do not think they can perform.

10. "Work Hard Play Hard"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Denver, CO

Pros

Super chill atmosphere, work with basically all millennial workforce that is very accommodating and understanding. It's one of those environments where you get out just as much as you put in and they will reward you for it. As long as you meet the goals/hit the numbers management is super relaxed and will let you do your own thing.

Cons

Huge learning curve to figure everything out.
    The people that get promoted the quickest are the ones willing to work extra hours without clocking OT for it.

"Micro management at its finest!"

Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in Boston, MA

I worked at Seven Step RPO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I learned what I needed to learn quickly, that landed a better job on every level.

Cons

If you like to be watched like a hawk by your management team then this is the place for you. If you like sitting 10 inches away from your co-worker and having your personal items on your desk being limited then this is the place for you. If you like working in a call center environment which management has named "the bull pen" then this is the place for you. If you want to be a Recruiter that will call any candidate with a pulse regardless of their qualifications then this is the place for you.
    Seven Step is a factory for pushing out low quality, but high volumes of candidates to their clients/accounts to prove initial efforts. Little results were seen and I was on several accounts.
    Regardless of your age you will be treated like a child. If you are a grown up and can think and work on your own without guidance this is not the place for you. I have never had so much direct contact with a boss in my life. Constant check ins on, "what are you doing", "how many calls have you made today", "how many phone screens" etc... And did I forget to mention the team huddle in morning where you have to hear about everyone's plans for the day? Or even better be called out for having one bad day in front of your whole team, if the giant white board with stats isn't enough.

Advice to Management

Stop hovering over your employees. Trust them that you trained them well enough and they can work independently. Allow upper management to have their own offices off the floor or out of the "bull pen". Nothing makes your day run smoother than sitting next to a high level manager or even the VP.