Severn Trent Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Severn Trent Chief Executive Liv Garfield
Liv Garfield

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Lots of focus on wellbeing and ensuring a great work-life balance in most departments" (in 9 reviews)

• "Pension scheme, sharesave scheme, flexible working" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Lots of changes in the industry could unsettle things within the business" (in 3 reviews)

• "Work life balance is an issue due to under resourced" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Career"

I have been working at Severn Trent full-time

Pros

Excellent management and career opportunities

Cons

Benifits could be a little better

2. "Sr. Lab Tech"

Pros

Manageable workflow that is low stress, with little to no change. High levels of independence and good work/social life balance.

Cons

Few opportunities for advancement or training.Workload in the lab can become monotonous and boring.

3. "Manager"

Pros

Environmentally conscience, other than that?

Cons

'Fat' middle-upper management, delegation rules.

"manager"

I worked at Severn Trent full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good people who have been there for many years

Cons

new management making changes without working with existing staff

"New Executive....time to move on!"

Pros

Great company with great employees that are now going to be in the hot seat, specifically in one department. Sad, but true!

Cons

Your life is about to change drastically under iron fist of the new executive. Only advice to give us you better start looking. It will only be a matter of time before you are set up to fail, pushed out and or terminated.

Advice to Management

Bad hiring decision. You should have done your homework before making a terrible hire.

"An honest, review based on a lengthy employment"

Former Employee - Customer Advisor
    Former Employee - Customer Advisor

I worked at Severn Trent full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Stable employment (while I was there - this WILL change)
    Guaranteed breaks (but very much needed)
    Decent salary (again, this will definitely change for employees in the very-near future).

Cons

Painfully high workloads
    Huge culture of blame and favoritism by managers
    Dishonest managerial team
    Unsafe working environment
    The company will never take responsibility for its mistakes
    Zero room for promotion

Advice to Management

Honesty would be a start. This needs to be taught from above, however, so this will be a long time coming

"Too many disturbing changes"

Current Employee - Engineering in Colmar, PA
    Current Employee - Engineering in Colmar, PA

I have been working at Severn Trent full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice Co workers and fair but not great pay.

Cons

British Corporate mentality being brought to bear on American employees, causing major moral issues. They are not concerned about the opinions of the people necessary to bring the bottom line. Middle management is only concerned with sucking up to Corporate. Good people are looking to get out which will only further aggravate a downward spiral.

Advice to Management

Leave the US model alone. We made money before you started meddling and only since all the none business related distractions you burdened us with caused us to go into the red.

8. "Great Companu to work for"

I worked at Severn Trent full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

flexible and understanding management. Great company values.

Cons

too many changes in performance module.

9. "A brilliant place to work!"

Current Employee - Buyer in Coventry, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Buyer in Coventry, England (UK)

I have been working at Severn Trent full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Encourage development and progression
    Recognition for hard work
    A great team of people who are passionate about what they do

Cons

No visibility of salary guidelines

Advice to Management

I would recommend publishing salary guidelines and increments so that there is equal pay across departments and within teams

10. "Working For Severn Trent Water"

Current Employee - Technical Expert in Shrewsbury, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Technical Expert in Shrewsbury, England (UK)

I have been working at Severn Trent full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The salary is competitive, although it is limited after many years (you hit the ceiling and then cannot get an unconsolidated pay rise). The annual bonus is reasonable. The Sharesave scheme is excellent, allowing up to £500 a month to be invested and over the years has provided at least a 50% return. The pension is also very good with a high percentage of matched payments.

As a company they do care about their employees in respect of their working conditions, although the offices are not particularly pleasant and very warm, they are not terrible. The company cares about the environment and Health and Safety and has a good ethical approach to everything and takes renewable energy very seriously.

As a general rule I think you are supported well and have the ability to be open and honest and use your skills and experience to influence your own work but and support the company overall. Experience and knowledge is used valued and appreciated and used appropriately when making small and large scale decisions so you do feel valued as an expert with valuable knowledge and skills.

I have been with the company for 28 years and although I have had some very bad times (work and restructuring) I am clearly still hear after 28 years, so that must mean something!

Cons

Promotion and development is very limited and almost non-existent unless you work at Headquarters in Coventry and the salary stops being increased once you get over 120% of the average in a salary band, so after a while you find yourself stuck if you work at a smaller site with no promotion and no consolidated pay rises which can leave you feeling taken advantage of and undervalued (and being punished for not moving to Coventry). This can make working to a high standard every year very difficult when you know you are not going to get a promotion or even a pay-rise.

The offices are very clinical and open space which can get very noisy and feels very cramped with rows and rows of long desks cramped with four or five people and that does not aid focus, concentration or comfort, especially in the summer when it can get very hot in the large offices (which have no air conditioning).

The restructuring which seems to occur every five years is always done very badly and I can say that as I have seen six of them and in all cases, the lessons from previous re-organisations have not been learnt. That is a terrible time of upheaval as nobody knows if they are going to have a job in a few months and the communications is usually very poor right up until the point you get a thumbs up or thumbs down.

However, this has to be taken on balance with the positives and for someone working at Headquarters the opportunities are fantastic for promotion and progression. It clearly is not perfect, but a lot of people start here at 18 and manage 10, 15, 25, or even 40 years… so that must say a lot for the company overall!

Advice to Management

The management overall is very good and they do listen to and take on board the oppinions and exertise of their staff and that approach often works well fo the managment team too. After all, they are the ones that get the big bonuses, so using the skills and exertise of their staff is in their best interest.

Severn Trent Response

Jun 18, 2018

Thank you for your review, we’re glad to hear that overall you’ve had a good experience working for Severn Trent.

Thank you very much for both your honest and detailed feedback, we really value... More