Severstal North America Reviews | Glassdoor

Severstal North America Reviews

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Nothing But Negatives"

Former Employee - Industrial Electrician in Dearborn, MI
    Former Employee - Industrial Electrician in Dearborn, MI

I worked at Severstal North America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Not too many pros to speak of from this company. Although they did invest a lot of money into some new buildings, they let other buildings and equipment that are critical to the operation fall apart. Most of the employees were easy to get along with.

Cons

When this company took over in 2005 we were promised change. The reality was that yes, Severstal spent hundreds of millions on new equipment in some areas, but with the same leadership that put the company into bankruptcy in the first place. Many of the changes that were made were actually detrimental to the machinery (no preventative maintenance, run until it breaks mentality). Vast reduction in work force lead to personnel problems. They also went to 12 hour shifts with many production employees being forced over 16 hours because of the employee shortage.

2. "Great turnaround"

Current Employee - Human Resources Employee in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Human Resources Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Severstal North America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People development, challenging projects, good pay

Cons

Hard to change things in unionized environment

3. "Sad it's gone"

Pros

Moving in the right direction when Sakait took over as CEO then the Russians sold us. I got out before AK took over glad I did! Good people to work with, many tough challenges.

Cons

Workload, workload, workload, lack of people

4. "Incompetent people are running this company."

I worked at Severstal North America (More than 3 years)

Pros

There was really nothing good about this company and this job. The bosses were not helpful, some lacked proper education for the positions they held.

Cons

Only 2 weeks of vacations, with no sick time, especially difficult for pregnant employees. The people who were performing the onboarding were not helpful and almost seem jealous of the new employees.
    Promotions were given to friends, and there were very little opportunity to advance.
    Management lied about the importance of positions, and some were cut shortly after assuming them.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with more respect.

5. "Great people to work with!"

Pros

people, incentive structure, flex time

Cons

Work-life balance, at times the workload can be very demanding

6. "Love my crew, hate upper management."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Severstal North America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I work directly with some great people, we care about our jobs and productivity, since our incentive is tied to our pay. Direct supervision is acceptable. I work in maintenance.

Cons

Our direct supervisors are ok. Everyone above them is arrogant and has little understanding of what it takes to keep equipment running and in good condition. They have no idea what jobs entail, what is needed, or how many people it takes to accomplish it quickly and safely. Always trying to do too much with too little, and being hypocritical about their own safety rules while trying to accomplish anything that hinders production. We've had more serious injuries since Severstal became the owner. They blame anyone but themselves, when the problems are a direct result of their poor management skills. Running equipment into the ground, then expecting miracles is not good preventative maintenance. They are losing tradespeople in droves. Department heads who should be fired are just transferred to other departments to mismanage those areas.

Advice to Management

Have some respect for your workers. They know their jobs, listen to their concerns. Stop being so arrogant. To the CEO- take a harder look at what is going on at the Dearborn mill. You are losing maintenance people- find out why. Take a close look at your upper management. Find out who is effective and who isn't. Severstal could be so much better.

7. "Severstal North America is developing into a first class steel producer as it recruits qualified, talented people."

Current Employee - Engineer in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Engineer in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Severstal North America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Severstal North America in both Columbus, Mississippi and Dearborn, Michigan is recruiting strategy-oriented top management and a talented workforce to operate its billion dollar investment in state-of-the-art equipment.

Cons

Severstal North America has growing pains in estsblishing a culture of producing the highest quality products, as promised to the customer, at a reasonable price and lowest cost. It may take some time to become the "best of the best."

Advice to Management

Continue driving towards becoming a premiere steel manufacturer.

8. "Very rewarding"

Pros

Good Pay and compensation for entry level

Cons

Gloomy work environment, dark and quite

9. "had enough, ready to leave"

I have been working at Severstal North America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the pay is great over in Shafter court, as is the bonus system if you are part of that.

Cons

Don't be fooled by the Russian name! This company is a major hive for the American Detroit boys club. I've never seen such team work (if only they could apply it to steel production!) Even some in the personnel department partake in the harassment. Male or female, if you don't stand with the boys club, you stand against it. They spent way too much time on hateful gossip. I've already seen one woman harnessed to the point of leaving, I am going soon and I know of two others who have changed groups in an attempt to hold onto employment. Honestly, it's not worth the money they are trying to pay you....

Advice to Management

Management still seems powerless to change the culture. Glad you were able to turn a profit, sorry that you have been unable to get rid of the hostel work environment. Your fighting a losing battle and the Detroit boys club knows it. : (

10. "Review"

Former Employee - Office Manager in Dearborn, MI
    Former Employee - Office Manager in Dearborn, MI

I worked at Severstal North America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast paced, challenging work environment. Great people to work with.

Cons

Ever changing management, no leadership

Advice to Management

Concentrate on the job not the perks