Sewell Automotive Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
J. Carl Sewell Jr.

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance isn't the best (in 16 reviews)

• lot of hours, but in the car business any place you work has long hours (in 20 reviews)

1. "Great Company"

I have been working at Sewell Automotive full-time

Pros

The people you work with make a huge difference. Sewell does a great job hiring the right fit.

Cons

Long hours, but the pay helps. Retail hours

2. "Sewell Lexus of Fort Worth Team Leader"

Former Employee - Team Leader in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Sewell Automotive full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fantastic company to be a part of. Must be motivated and provide your best everyday

Cons

None for me, some team members aren't self motivated and cause a negative vibe for others.

Advice to Management

Keep standards of employment high.

3. "Great Culture"

Pros

Great people and culture, all the way up through management. A lot of buy-in to the ideals of the company. A lot of company events and benefits

Cons

Long hours and long hours on your feet. A lot of commission based work.

"Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Sewell Automotive full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. Excellent training. Great place to work right out of college.

Cons

First of all, let me preface this with the fact that I spent over ten years with Sewell, was promoted twice, learned a ton, met lifelong friends, and had a blast. I have no ill will towards the company. However, when I am on this site, I truly do appreciate an honest and straightforward review. I hope this helps. If you're wondering why I left, read the entire review.

Promotion of salespeople to management based primarily on sales performance has always proven to be the Achilles' heel of sales organizations. With all the investment this storied company pours into training, it is unfortunate that one concept seems to be consistently missing and ignored within the company culture. That concept is The Peter's Principle. If you’re not familiar with the "Peter's Principal”, do yourself a favor and look it up. This concept runs so rampant within Sewell, that it has inevitably created an organization that is bottom heavy in talent (due to their top notch recruiting process), yet consistently inept at the mid-level leadership. Everyone saw countless talented new hires, eventually grow tired of seeing this process play out and leave. Management's method of coaching by pointing at their trophies, doesn't impress or help young hires succeed. Their solution to inevitable attrition of the sales team is to simply keep recruiting and restock with a fresh and malleable minded group of top notch college grads.

Sewell represents many great brands, and I am sure it will continue to grow and prosper, with or without a hard look in the mirror. Sadly, part of this continued success can be attributed to the fact that the auto industry as a whole, is one of the least competitive industries of all when it comes to being forward thinking when it comes to company culture, technology, benefits and other policies. To put it simply, Sewell, is the best of the worst. Hopefully, the auto industry will eventually catch up in these areas, and you can be proud to tell your parents that their $250,000 in college expenses went towards you being a car salesperson. This will be an exciting time to be in the car business, as vehicles will likely be flying and coming standard with flux capacitors.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to take a hard look at their mid-level management team and create a new way to evaluate their performance that gives true insight into their value to the company. The products of the Peter's Principal that tread water at their current position need to be weeded out. If a mid-level manager is obviously not upper management material, they shouldn't be there, regardless of the industry or company. The company could operate just as effectively or better with these people gone.

As for the near future, every employee and potential hire needs to consider what life will be like when the company goes public. For a glimpse of what this future might look like, just look around at the likes of Sonic, AutoNation, and every other dealer group we made a living off of preaching a story to customers and employees about how superior of a business model Sewell not only adhered to, but pioneered. As it stands today, aside from hearing a better story laid on thick by employees, the difference in the customer/employee experience is negligible and continues to wain.

"Intern"

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Great work environment, great people, great pay!!! Loved this internship so much. I learned a lot and everyone is super nice!

Cons

LOTS of hours, I worked over 40 every single week

7. "Service"

Pros

Great company that really cared about its employees and customers.

Cons

Nothing about the company, but industry in general has long hours.

"Service Advisor"

I have been working at Sewell Automotive full-time

Pros

Company culture, heavily invested in their employees (and customers), PTO and several long weekends off. Privately owned but greatly expanding, offering many opportunities for placement and promotion.

Cons

Long hours, full commission. Customer feedback bonuses depend on factors that may be out of your control. Working on Saturdays.

Advice to Management

Being a manager in the automotive industry has to be one of the toughest jobs out there. Although it is very stressful at times, I've seen my managers continue to make improvements to provide excellent customer service. Keep investing in your employees.

9. "Confusion"

Pros

The culture that is fostered within Sewell Automotive is phenomenal and unlike no other. The employees and management genuinely care for your well being and want to get to know you.

Cons

I was told several times I would receive a call regarding employment specifications, like what to wear, when to show up, etc. and I never received a phone call. I had to pester the managers for basic work information

Advice to Management

I would suggest being more transparent when it comes to employees. I felt in the dark most of the time, and was not receiving feedback for my work

10. "Sales"

Pros

Great people and great culture

Cons

Work-life balance isn't all that great.

Advice to Management

give more attention to developing your people.

11. "Good"

Pros

They pay well and have good benefits

Cons

Depending on who your mentor is, you may learn something or you make learn nothing

Advice to Management

Make it more structured