Sg2 Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

Michael Sachs

1. "Difficult transition"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Sg2 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast-paced environmental. Very smart people. Continue to drive growth. Impressive new growth analytics. Amazing alumni network.

Cons

Very competitive environment. Very individual focused vs team and collaboration. Transitions to MedAssets and then to Vizient have been difficult and messy. Too many great people leaving. New CEO (Aaron) overly negative and lacks clear direction.

Advice to Management

Find the culture and approach that made Sg2 great. We're losing our edge and identity.

2. "Slow Motion Decline"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Skokie, IL

I worked at Sg2 full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Strong reputation in market
    Smart colleagues passionate about health care
    Access to high-level leaders at client organizations
    Free breakfast and lunch

Cons

Acquisitions over last couple of years brutal
    Goiod people leaving,, not being replaced at same caliber
    Lack of cohesive exexutive leadership
    Favoritism and back-biting occurs at managemrnt level

Advice to Management

Listen to the concers of employees at all levels within the company. Hire more people who can actually do the work,

3. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Director in Skokie, IL
    Former Employee - Director in Skokie, IL

I worked at Sg2 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You're surrounded by very smart, gifted individuals that are passionate about health care. The organization is very academic and you'll end up debating health care trends and policy over lunch or coffee quite a bit. Sg2 also provides great access to the industry, so you'll be interacting with high-level health care leaders regularly.

Cons

The academic environment, while a strength, also presents a weakness. There are times when the vision for the company is focused on high-level strategy instead of engaging clients on change management.

Additionally, Sg2 has gone through a 2-year period without firm leadership while it was first bought by MedAssets and then by Vizient. Hopefully, this period of change will calm down.

Advice to Management

With the acquisition by Vizient, there needs to added focus on sharpening the path forward for Sg2.

"An environment that fosters bullying"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Skokie, IL

Pros

Free breakfast and lunch for employees

Cons

Very clique-ish environment, poor training, managers foster a culture of bullying

Advice to Management

Clean house

"Future Looks Promising, But...."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Skokie, IL

I have been working at Sg2 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sg2 is a trusted advisor to the C-suite of health systems and hospitals nationwide. And for good reason. Great minds are working diligently to make the healthcare system better for all in a rapidly changing business environment. Our analytics and Impact of Change methodology and insight is top-notch. The culture is collaborative, committed and passionate about improving healthcare. Despite multiple sales/mergers, the parent companies (MedAssets, Pamplona, Vizient) seem to recognize the highly-respected niche Sg2 holds in the marketplace.

Cons

Multiple sales/mergers are a distraction and makes folks nervous. We've experienced higher than normal employee attrition in the past 12-18 months - hoping very much with Vizient leadership things will settle down. Now more than ever we need strong Sg2 executive team and middle-management to protect and grow Sg2 during the next chapter.

Advice to Management

Invest is Sg2 senior and middle-management leaders. Keep vision focused on what has distinguished Sg2 in the market and ahead of the pack: thought-leadership, analytics, innovation and an unwavering commitment to our clients.

7. "Work and coworkers are best in the business"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Skokie, IL

I have been working at Sg2 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Best collection of minds I've ever worked with, unwavering commitment to the customer and pushing the envelope, ability to do on ork that is challenging and game-changing.

Cons

Staffed lean, need to add talent quickly to keep up with demand.

Advice to Management

Figuring out the MedAssets integration will be key. Fun place to work, need to keep Sg2 culture alive and well.

"Cut your teeth; then move on."

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sg2 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The salary is market-rate for most positions, with decent benefits. There is depth of knowledge and a passion for healthcare that is truly unmatched. As a new entrant into the workforce, you will work with talented individuals and help leaders at top health systems make important strategic decisions.

Cons

Sg2 is branded as a software-as-a-service (SAAS) company, but this characterization is severely disingenuous. With that unfortunate designation, only positions explicitly tied to the analytics platform (eg "Directors of Strategic Analytics") are viewed as having any real value. However, a peek behind the curtains reveals the analytics retain little value absent consulting or thought-leader support.

Management is feckless. There is (ironically) a fear of change (for a company that has recently been sold), so employees are tasked to maintain the status quo rather than propose new ideas to further support our clients. So many talented people have left for failing to kiss the ring, even though their ideas were daring, likely profitable, and true client-pleasers. I was sad to see so many (many, many, many, many, many) great people leave.

Advice to Management

Quit. Allow MedAssets to replenish the ranks of management with those who are open to new ideas that will ultimately better service our clients.

9. "Nice working environment; good place to cut your teeth"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Skokie, IL

I worked at Sg2 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free food! They hold many events such as a happy hour recognizing birthdays, etc. They've had free massages and wine tasting events, just to name a few. There are plenty of events and perks here. There's also a free shuttle for those that take the CTA purple line to/from Chicago.

Cons

There isn't an outlined growth plan or even a structure in place for promotion or many differentiating compensatory rewards. For example, everyone receives the same amount of vacation, albeit that it's a good amount. So, if you've been there for 5 years or even 10 years, you have the same amount of vacation with someone that just started there day one. Also, if you are the stellar & most competent person in the team, there isn't anything different for you, even in comparison to any possible slackers. It feels as if the perks noted above is what should keep you happy. People need other motivating factors and rewards for their hard work, especially if they stand out.

Advice to Management

All departments should create an outline and structure for growth and promotion. I saw some very good people leave because they were treated just like all the others. Otherwise, the perks and events do provide a means to improve morale, it allows us to get to know our peers or other people in other departments, and it promotes a fun atmosphere. Unfortunately, you've also fostered a culture where the best employees leave and you're left with the ones that don't seek self-improvement, are less competent, and are complacent. You could lose a good talent pool and be left with a pool of slackers.

"They Care"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Skokie, IL

I worked at Sg2 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Always seeking feedback and trying to improve
    Made a lot of changes in the last year that I was there
    Lots of growth opportunities
    Good benefits
    They recognize achievements and acknowledge employees for their hard work - lots of Champaign toasts on Fridays to celebrate milestones
    Free lunch and breakfast

Cons

For a long time they had some people in management that were making people miserable
    sometimes they really miss the mark even though they have good intentions
    too many company reorganizations
    didn't always feel like a stable place to work
    sometimes they put people in roles that they were not qualified for and there is a trickle effect that made things very difficult and frustrating

"Great place to impact health care for over 1200 hospitals across the US"

Current Employee - Current Employee in Skokie, IL
    Current Employee - Current Employee in Skokie, IL

I have been working at Sg2 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is the smartest group of colleagues I've ever worked with (and having done consulting nationally and worked at two of the AMCs here in Chicago previously that's saying a lot!). It is also the most energizing - the team here is willing to share their time, talent, ideas, and expertise with clients and internal teammates. We can go from discussing health care reform, to chemotherapy technology advancements to how CMS severity adjusts for readmissions tracking all during lunch.

Interesting and diversified projects are a given. Amazing clients and opportunities to work directly with them on today's challenges in health care. Every week I get to hear clients say "thanks, this really made a difference." Curious, self-starters who work well as a team and check their egos will succeed here.

Fantastic benefits including health, life and dental insurance; 401K with match; mobile, gym and transportation subsidies; generous PTO; social events including annual Sg2 Charity (give back to the community day), holiday parties, monthly happy hour and yes, breakfast and lunch every day.

Cons

We are a relatively small company so communication can be a challenge. Instituting weekly all-company meetings to hear directly from executives and showcase research, new analytics and consulting projects have certainly helped as have new organizational structure, expanded manager-level team members, Peer Council, and regular visits from the President to team meetings.

Given size training is more on the job but the new quarterly in-service days include classic training (time management, public speaking, project management, team building, training on Sg2 offerings and internal systems) as well as team meetings for more customized work sessions and training.

A new focus on regularly gathering market feedback and using this to guide and prioritize corporate direction and new projects is helping to minimize the sense of "sudden changes." We are still a relatively small, entrepreneurial company at heart with a lot of big ideas so deciding what not to do and staying focus is often our biggest challenge.

Advice to Management

Continue focusing on what the market tells us to guide decisions and keep communicating those decisions across the company, consistently. Helping increasingly productive teams work well in concert will ensure Sg2 continues to meet goals and be an energizing place to work.