Shaker Recruitment Marketing Reviews | Glassdoor

Shaker Recruitment Marketing Reviews

Updated January 7, 2019

4.1
Shaker Recruitment Marketing President Joe Shaker Jr.
Joe Shaker Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Senior Account Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Shaker Recruitment Marketing full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The integrity of this company is second to no other. Our client’s best interest is considered in everything we touch and is the heart of Shaker. We don't recommend tools to our clients that they don't need and this is something that Shaker is passionate about. Joe Shaker, Jr., is involved in every aspect of this company, and is always making sure that our client’s needs are met and will educate them on how the new media and new technology is always evolving. He deeply cares about his employees. I’m not just a number, I’m part of his extended family. He cares about our personal lives and that you have work-life balance. Don't get me wrong... we work hard, but it is always about meeting and exceeding our client’s needs and in doing so we help elevate the professionalism that HR brings to their companies tables.

Cons

I can't think of anything. I love Shaker and I love my clients. I'm blessed.

Advice to Management

Just keep doing what you are doing. Sharing your knowledge and passion for doing what is right for our clients.

2. "Good company overall"

Former Employee - Sales in Oak Park, IL
    Former Employee - Sales in Oak Park, IL

I worked at Shaker Recruitment Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

What Shaker does best, they do better than anyone else. They combine old school business practices from a classier era with the latest business trends.

Most of the employees stay a long time, and it's not by accident. The company invites it's employees to engage with the company through teambuilding events, monday morning huddles and philanthropy. I noticed most employees loved their jobs.

They feed you. Lunches occur regularly. There's snacks in the cafe. It's all free too.

The location is a block from the Metra Train and Green Line in downtown Oak Park, which is minutes away from the city.

They have A-list clients and a strong reputation that is well earned.

Cons

I don't want to badmouth the company. What I would say though is that if you are applying for a sales position, you need to ask what the numbers were for the previous reps for the past year on the team. There is one team that's a bigger mess than you're going to want to deal with, the other teams seem to be paid well and enjoy their jobs.

Advice to Management

I'd rethink that one specific team, the one that has high turnover and poor performance. Ask yourself if you were the customer, would you use this product/service?

Jan 10, 2019 – Employer Branding

Thanks for the feedback and the thoughtful review. It's great to hear that you enjoyed some of our perks and culture. We strive to service our incredible clients with the best minds and expertise... More

3. "A place to make a difference"

Current Employee - Director in Oak Park, IL
    Current Employee - Director in Oak Park, IL

I have been working at Shaker Recruitment Marketing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Friendly, upbeat, collaborative environment that allows one to take on new initiatives, continue to learn and to grow

Cons

The only downside is a good problem to have - so busy, sometimes it's hard to keep up

Advice to Management

The environment you have created and continue to foster is inspiring. After many years here, I am really enjoying the renewed sense of excitement, enthusiasm and I am very much looking forward to what the upcoming years will bring and the direction the company is headed.

"Exciting time to be at Shaker!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Park, IL

I have been working at Shaker Recruitment Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It’s really cool to see the evolution of the Shaker business. Exciting roster of clients (new and current), a growing team and best-in-class client work make it an awesome place to be. Plus, there’s a commitment to client and employee success here that I haven’t experienced elsewhere. Looking forward to seeing what’s to come for Shaker!

Cons

The Oak Park location is awesome, but the commute can be tough.

Advice to Management

Continue investing in junior talent

"Dynamic, Fun, and Exciting Career"

I have been working at Shaker Recruitment Marketing full-time

Pros

Very collaborative and diverse environment. You're given the opportunity to take on projects, come up with new ideas, and work with the industry's top talent in solving important challenges employers face today.

Cons

Like any long standing (60+ year) family-owned businesses there are inherent challenges in an industry that changes often and rapidly. Shaker has stayed on top of those changes and continues to grow.

Aug 14, 2018 – Employer Branding

Thanks for the feedback! That's great to hear you feel you have autonomy with the support of a strong team. Thanks for being part of the team during this exciting time!

6. "Great family-owned company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Park, IL

I have been working at Shaker Recruitment Marketing part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They are a kind family that genuinely cares about their employees.

Cons

The salaries are low (they do offer incentives) and there is not a lot of room for growth.

Advice to Management

Establish a better career path.

7. "Old is not new"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Oak Park, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Oak Park, IL

I worked at Shaker Recruitment Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

location was helpful. nice people

Cons

really old thinking. they claim to have become a contemporary agency but they rely on search engines to learn what things mean. a person training me actually recommended a newspaper wrap and I couldn't tell who was laughing louder, me and the production folks or the client.

Advice to Management

don't pretend to be modern. be modern. your clients will find out you're not as they do everyday,

Aug 14, 2018 – Employer Branding

Thanks for the feedback. I’m sorry to hear this was your experience. We are really proud of our recruitment, creative and marketing expertise and the robust knowledge each of our team members... More

8. "Great Environment and Great People!"

I have been working at Shaker Recruitment Marketing full-time

Pros

- Always on top of breaking news and industry trends
    - Great work environment
    - Helpful coworkers and a wonderful team atmosphere

Cons

No negatives at this time.

Advice to Management

- Spend a little more face time with employees of all departments

Aug 14, 2018 – Employer Branding

Thanks for the feedback! We really appreciate you taking the time. We love hearing how much you enjoy your team - it's a special group for sure! Thanks for everything you do to make Shaker so... More

9. "Great company with bright and exciting future"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Park, IL

I have been working at Shaker Recruitment Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great people with second-to-none industry knowledge
    - An incredible creative team that's elevating the entire category
    - In this rapidly evolving space, Shaker is making bold moves to ensure they're ahead of the curve and able to provide strategic solutions for their clients. They're forward-thinking in terms of what the client might need and, as such as, has focused on building different channels, like social media, PR and creative.
    - The team here is genuine and cares about each other.

Cons

None I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep trusting your gut

10. "The Shaker Family"

I have been working at Shaker Recruitment Marketing full-time

Pros

I came to work at Shaker and was immediately welcomed by the entire company. It is a very friendly and caring atmosphere from entry level to management. The training I received was thoughtful and effective and I have learned a new set of skills I can carry for my entire life. They have been in the industry for over 65 years yet they always stay on the cutting edge. Their recent branding and name change (Shaker Recruitment Marketing) is a reflection of their ability to adapt to ever changing world of recruitment in real time. I would highly recommend starting or continuing your career with this caring family run company. This sentiment seems to be shared company wide as they have many boomerangs that left the company and found their way back. Expect to be asked how things are going and what could be changed on a regular basis which is a rare thing for most companies. Look forward to a brand new break room on the way with snacks and drinks to boot!

Cons

With one of their major pros comes a slight con. Since it is a family run company and they have such great tenure, that sometimes can translate to a ceiling for younger, less tenured employees. I have not experienced this yet as I have only been here for coming on 2 years and was promoted quickly but I still fear it moving forward. It is also the only con I can think of.