Shakespeare Theatre Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.5
Chris Jennings

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great people, tough to advance"

I have been working at Shakespeare Theatre Company full-time

Pros

Best of the best people work in every department.

Cons

Budget's been tight. Once you're hired, you're locked in that salary.

"Poor management"

I worked at Shakespeare Theatre Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not much to say.

Cons

morale has plummeted, talent is fleeing and those left are spending their days trying to follow their departed colleagues. Several "initiatives" failed under terrible managment poorly scheduled, poorly fabricated and the new managers expected to implement them have not received the training required to make them work. It would be impossible to train them as the "teams" tasked with that training have not been properly trained themselves and have no clue what to do. The work load for the average low to mid-grade staff is insane.

Advice to Management

Is there any?

3. "Creative and challenging theatre company"

I worked at Shakespeare Theatre Company full-time

Pros

One of the nation's top theatre companies, producing stellar work with top talent.

Cons

Creative egos and a big gap between the ground-level day-to-day tasks and the senior management; it's challenging to be a middle manager.

Advice to Management

Put energy and resources into all of your employees—we love the theatre as much as anyone and want it to succeed. Help us succeed with our goals and we'll help you succeed with yours.

4. "Great people"

Pros

Great people. Great shows. It's great to be a part of this kind of art.

Cons

Poor management structure. Departments where siloed and did not feel like a team. Lots of talking about fixing the problems and not doing it

Advice to Management

Fix the culture and give staff a positive outlook

"Manager"

Pros

Free theatre, some good people, great benefits.

Cons

No room for growth, Management has no clue what they're doing. Financially the company is in big trouble. How are you spending millions on a new building when you're in almost 10 million dollars in debt? Low pay and many many hours. Poor communication throughout the company.

Advice to Management

Treat all employees with respect and it would be nice if you acknowledged the hard work it takes to create the productions. Figure out a way to pay people what they're worth.

"Sometimes unrealistic"

Former Employee - Production Staff in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Production Staff in Washington, DC

I worked at Shakespeare Theatre Company full-time

Pros

World class artists, varying work, name recognition.

Cons

This is from the production/backstage aspect but it was disheartening watching budgets get slashed and positions cut and remaining staff expected to absorb the extra burdon and yet have the management expect not a minute of overtime out of the staff. At no point did I ever see management work to keep guest designers on budget or time, yet permanent staff was expected to work faster and cheaper.

Advice to Management

Work with designers and hold them accountable for deadlines. You were hemorrhaging money to have items shipped, added and built in the 11th hour only to be cut three days later.

"Huge amount of experience and responsibilities, but not enough compensation or appreciation"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Shakespeare Theatre Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I met some of the most amazing people I have ever known here. Great people who are passionate about what they do. Lots of responsibilities are given. Getting free tickets to events are easily the best perk.

Cons

My compensation for the huge amount of work I was doing was ridiculously low. Also little room to advance unless the position above you leaves. Little support or appreciation was shown for the amount of work I did on a daily basis.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees work-life balance more, and compensate those who actually deserve it.

"Overall positive - got to see the organization grow - but wasn't recognized for my accomplishments."

I worked at Shakespeare Theatre Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great coworkers, folks care about what's on stage, always something different happening from show to show - decent pay for the genre of job and location. If the upcoming move goes well, will be a positive change for the entire staff.

Cons

Leadership out of touch with day to day operations - literally don't know the names of all employees and it's not a huge staff. Lack of long term strategic view until very recently. The pending move was way too long in the making - lack of attention to details of upkeep and maintenance at some sites became very costly.

Advice to Management

Don't forget the great staff you have as you are working through this move.

"No loyalty"

I worked at Shakespeare Theatre Company full-time

Pros

There are some nice people around.

Cons

Long Hours
    Low pay
    No recognition of sacrifices necessary to do job
    Clueless Senior Staff/Management
    No Loyalty
    Can't keep a balanced budget
    No raises, ever

Advice to Management

Open your eyes and listen to people around you. You do not always know best.

"flee if you want to keep your souls"

I worked at Shakespeare Theatre Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

STC had an excellent benefits plan, and the free theatre perks were great. When I first started there I thought the culture was warm and inviting, and I made a lot of friends. I felt inspired, and it was great to be a part of a growing organization doing amazing art in the nation's capitol.

Cons

The culture took a nose dive at the 2009 recession, and just got worse. People were laid off, positions weren't refilled, and the hits just kept coming to our paychecks, but we were constantly asked to 'do more with less'. Vendors were constantly calling to ask when they would get paid, and I'm shocked I got my paycheck on time.... and this was still happening in 2013. Most of us were working long hours trying to make things work, and we stuck together, but the 'devil may care' attitude of the managing director, who posted his fancy vacation picks on facebook while he was missing a major donor event, well, it just killed it for a lot of us. Overtime only goes so far to compensating for missing your life, and for salaried folks, there is no work/life balance. The 'executive office' culture was toxic, and it spread while I was there. When the only person in administration any of us trusted to actually fight for the staff quit, it was a big sign to many of us to move on. It's a toxic environment.

Advice to Management

Stop expecting people to maintain quality of work without resources. Pay living wages, and people will do more for you. Show respect to your staff. the 'executive office' is perceived as a boys club, and that does not work in this day and age. Keep it professional at work, and if you're going to skip out on a major fundraising event, don't post your pictures on facebook where hard working staff can see it.