Shamin Hotels Reviews | Glassdoor

Neil Amin

1. "Front Desk Agent"

Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in North Chesterfield, VA
    Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in North Chesterfield, VA

I have been working at Shamin Hotels full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love working with my coworkers.

Cons

I wish it was more locations area the US.

2. "great employer for those who want to advance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chester, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chester, VA

I have been working at Shamin Hotels full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

secure job and many opportunities to advance. many different departments to chose from

Cons

constantly and rapidly growing company. need energy and drive to keep up with the growth. hospitality industry is 24/7 service industry. either you love it or hate it.

Advice to Management

better communication with associates

3. "Front Desk Agent"

Former Employee - Front Desk in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Front Desk in Richmond, VA

Pros

A lot of opportunities to transfer, and they dominate the Richmond Va area.

Cons

Weak pay and they focus on purchasing more propitious, then fixing the ones they currently own.

Advice to Management

Take car of your employees, and people will stay longer.

5. "Benefits/HR Coordinator"

Former Employee - Benefits and Human Resources Coordinator in Chesterfield, VA
    Former Employee - Benefits and Human Resources Coordinator in Chesterfield, VA

I worked at Shamin Hotels full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They are a family firstat company

Cons

There is nothing bad to say about this company

Advice to Management

Continue to teach and create professionals

6. "Area Director of Sales"

Former Employee - Area Director of Sales in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Area Director of Sales in Richmond, VA

I worked at Shamin Hotels (More than 3 years)

Pros

3 properties/All 3 GM's were great as were their respective staffs. RGM was awesome too as he assisted with many of the tedious problem solving situations that arose from time to time. Customers and clients were a joy to work with---Definitely!!!

Cons

Long hours & below average pay/benefits for the Richmond, VA area. As a seasoned sales professional it definitely was frustrating to have 3 Sales VPs in the 3 1/2 years that I worked there and almost one whole year without a Sales VP at all. Sales Leadership is tantamount in any rapidly growing company to assist the sales teams in growing and generating revenue.

Advice to Management

Operationally speaking, most of the properties within the company have excellent and hard working GMs with loyal, hard working staffs that care about the properties and their guests---kudos! As revenue is key and king :) the presence of a consistent, resourceful, and experienced Sales Leader would definitely be helpful.

7. "Nightmare"

Former Employee - Front Desk in Colonial Heights, VA
    Former Employee - Front Desk in Colonial Heights, VA

I worked at Shamin Hotels part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No pros at all! This was truly a mistake!

Cons

Very low pay and terrible management

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees and the guests will receive the exact treatment !

8. "Employed with Shamin Hotels for over 7 years"

Current Employee - Maintenance Engineer in Chesterfield, VA
    Current Employee - Maintenance Engineer in Chesterfield, VA

I have been working at Shamin Hotels full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been employed with Shamin Hotels for over 7 years now and work in the maintenance department
    From our General Manager to the corporate office leadership they all provide us with the tools and guidance that is needed for us to do our job.
    Not too long ago I was in need of personal assistance and ownership helped me solve my problem and I will be forever grateful to them for helping me and my family out in a time of need. They did not have to do this and as big a company as Shamin is this clearly shows ownership as well as corporate office leaders truly care about their associates.
    Reading these negative comments posted on here about the ownership and leadership of this company truly amazes me and I can say with confidence that if given the opportunity you will not find a better place or company to work for in Richmond.
    Shamin provides you a career path which most hotel management companies in Richmond do not and I do not feel I am just an employee at a hotel. Above all I feel valued and respected and truly feel like I am part of one big family.

Cons

Sometimes have to work in weekends

Advice to Management

Please always help needy like me.
    At the end of the day, we're all striving to be touched, somehow.

"Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I worked at Shamin Hotels full-time

Pros

The great teams I worked with, the clients and customers that I worked with were the #1 reason that I stayed so long with the company---this truly was the part of the job that I loved.

Cons

Wow, the list is lengthy here. When I first joined the company, a fellow employee warned me that " this company will suck the last drop of blood from you"--Touche. Pay is 2/3's of the average. 95% of the employees; salaried and hourly absolutely could not afford the health insurance offered--- They boast their numbers and amount of employees, however do not 'take care' of their employees basic needs-as they are considered as insects rather than human beings in corporate's bizarre "caste system" mind set. Any positive reviews here are posted by corporate, so do not be deceived. As a sales manager, 15 hours per week were for reports---usually 'homework'. We had reports about reports. Which made the hours very long---probably did not even end up getting paid minimum wage:( all things considered.

Advice to Management

Corporate: Work on becoming decent human beings yourselves and perhaps this will enable you to be grateful for every human being who has assisted in building your empire. Otherwise, the empire will become dust.

10. "I've had a great experience with Shamin Hotels"

Current Employee - Front Desk Manager in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Front Desk Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Shamin Hotels full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working on a team with all A players improves your own performance, benefits are comparable and better than what other hotel management companies offer in the area. This Company gives you a chance to create and implement your own initiatives in your department, ability to travel to assist at other properties and increase your experience. associates are friendly, senior leaders take time to listen to lower level managers and value their feedback.

Cons

The only minor con would be the pay, which is generous for some but depending on your skill set, experience, and certifications, may be lower than other companies. However you have a chance to make a career with

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"All the One stars here are on point."

Former Employee - HOUSEMAN in Sandston, VA
    Former Employee - HOUSEMAN in Sandston, VA

I worked at Shamin Hotels full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Getting to interact and hear stories from travelers abroad and a discount at other properties. That's it, unless you like eating left over "cafeteria" style food after the guests have had their way with it.

Cons

SEVERE lack of leadership starting at the base management levels all the way up the chain - while progressively increasing in severity with climbing "rank". Mr. Amin himself (and wife) walked in to the property, in which I greeted him as I would anyone else, with his response being of an awkward stare and rudely walking away ... not even acknowledging that he had been greeted by another human being.

The best description of Shamin as a whole would be : "Warm bodied employer"
    If you have a pulse, can speak AT LEAST enough English to communicate with others - you can be hired. This in turn means that, for people looking for advancement, a decent working environment, etc. that the "on-par" people of society are looking for in a job, end up having to work with those who could care less about their own performance and it's negative affects on you personally. Don't think that they will "sweat" your resignation/termination, they have no problem sourcing a "mouth breather" to wear your old shoes. Something else of note worthiness: There is a reason that pretty much ALL of their properties are in "right to work" states.

I'm starting to wonder if Shamin is less a play on the two families company merger, and more a slang term developed to describe the companies extreme nepotistic practices - Everyone from the District manager level and up are in some way related to the Amin family, even though they have a full page in the employee handbook "forbidding" such.

Reason for my termination - I was called a "no call/no show" to cover the AGM's mistake: the fact she hadn't produced a schedule by the beginning of the work week. I even presented PHOTOGRAPHIC EVIDENCE in the form of a TIME STAMPED digital photo of only the prior weeks schedule being posted TWO DAYS into the work week. Even speaking face to face with the AGM after taking the photo, I was left to assume that the schedule would mirror the prior week . I was told to turn in my keys VIA TEXT with no warning, discussion, communication of any kind two days later. No call to even ask where I was during the shift that was scheduled WITHOUT MY KNOWLEDGE OR NOTIFICATION. Not even a response via text to my questions.

Advice to Management

Advice to those SEEKING management for this company: Only take on this job as a means to support yourself until you can find more gainful employment, because the second they no longer need you, you WILL be terminated, or strategically manipulated into wanting to leave (excessive hours, extra work load, anything that would make you want to willingly leave) - ALSO: The AVERAGE rat of pay for a management position - $12 per hour SALARY.