Shamin Hotels Reviews | Glassdoor

Neil Amin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good Company"

I have been working at Shamin Hotels full-time

Pros

Overall good company to work for, care about employees

Cons

Need to invest more into repairs

2. "Stay clear of this company"

Former Employee - Salaried Manager
    Former Employee - Salaried Manager

I worked at Shamin Hotels full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very strong family-like environment when it comes to the coworkers you're around everyday

There's a '20 word minimum' for this section

Cons

Where to start? I had no interview and was offered no training for my position. Not even a week after I resigned, my replacement was already lined up, which suggests that they only used me as a filler. The regional comes across as borderline sexist. The hiring process for hourly employees has a very serious favoritism problem vs people who might actually be a good fit. The same goes for promotions, it's easy to see that you can only really advance as long as you're besties with someone from corporate. The property I was with had severe maintenance problems which drove both our guest scores and QA scores down but when we tried to approach the regional (on multiple occasions) we were instructed to write up employees and train them better rather than spend the money to fix the building because apparently housekeepers are able to control things like broken air conditioners, mold and leaky ceilings. The salary contract stated 45+ hours. I made that easy monday through friday but was told I had to physically be there 'at least' 6 days a week regardless of things like slow days and having both a very capable GM and AGM to coordinate and tag team at least 1 day off a week while still being on call. Often, these expectations came across as though we weren't trusted to have strong well trained front desk people who could handle supervising one day a week. Vacation time was docked for taking a weekend off even though i was there monday through friday and put in a good near 50 hours. I wrote down my hours everyday for about 4 months and found that I was averaging well below minimum wage per hour every week - partly due to a terribly weak salary and partly due to long hours. I was told that I was not allowed to have work from home access because 'there's no need for it' and the 'have this done by the end of today' tasks that were assigned each day were so unrealistic that I often found myself on site Monday-Friday by 8 am and not getting home until almost 9pm, with a personal obligation to be there most Saturdays and Sundays because there was no way I was going to leave my executive housekeeper hanging on our busiest days. Despite all the work our team put in, rather than ever a thank you or hint if appreciation, we were all constantly met with negativity. The management style of our regional comes across as 'fear me when I walk through the door' and constant criticism and insults.

Bottom line is I've been in this industry for nearly 2 decades and this company made me lose nearly all the passion I've had for the game. The best I can say about my experience with Shamin is that my decision to leave was only made difficult because of having to leave the team I worked with everyday. The people above you could not care less about the financial, mental, or emotional well being of the all the people responsible for their millions.

Advice to Management

It's no secret that the people at the top make good money. Fixing maintenance issues, and paying your employees at least enough to not struggle would be a good place to start considering all the videos we have to sit through about how giving the owners are and how they are so in touch with hardworking low income people.

3. "Worst Company EVER!!"

I worked at Shamin Hotels full-time

Pros

Nothing but negative comments about this company

Cons

I was told not to speak in my language (which is against the law) and Regional called me inappropriate language. The GM never wanted to get out of the office but make his AGM to work at the desk, to work in inspection and housekeeping. The regional was expecting AGM to work 6 days a week, not 5 days. I signed the contract says 45 hours + but, never signed a contract says that I need to work 6 days a week. When I requested two days off, my PTO got deducted. I do not know how this company can be operated when they are doing so many illegal works. If you are expecting manager to work 6 days a week, you supposed to offer more than 32000 dollars per year! I never worked in a company for less than 3 months and left. I usually work for a company more than 2 years but, this was my first time leaving the company working less than 3 months.

4. "Bad company to work for"

I have been working at Shamin Hotels full-time

Pros

Standard hotel perks, but that is not limited to this company

Cons

-Horrible pay - they pay far less than any other management company I have worked for.
    - cheap cheap cheap!!! They would rather have their employees sweet talk customers about why the hotel is a disaster, instead of paying for needed renovations
    -No raises
    -Very little advancement opportunity
    -Overworked, underpaid
    -Hired awful general managers and even with MULTIPLE complaints from guests and staff, corporate does nothing
    -does not listen to complaints of staff, or care enough to pay attention
    -ignores problems they are aware of

Advice to Management

Compensate employees for their hard work, give raises to those who deserve it instead of expecting them to stick around being treated like dirt

5. "Would give negative stars if I could"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, VA

I worked at Shamin Hotels full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The fantasy they sell you is beautiful.

Cons

Underpaid, overworked, and management is completely unreasonable.

Advice to Management

Learn that things happen sometimes. I left a job to work for Shamin hotels. I have been with Marriott properties for over 10 years. I worked for Shamin for less than a month before they let me go because I got a kidney stone. One I had doctor notes for and gave plenty of notice. I'm not unemployed because of this.

6. "Front Desk Agent"

Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in North Chesterfield, VA
    Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in North Chesterfield, VA

I have been working at Shamin Hotels full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love working with my coworkers.

Cons

I wish it was more locations area the US.

"Grin and Bare it kind of job"

I have been working at Shamin Hotels (More than a year)

Pros

There is a diversity of ethnic groups and cultures on the team.You're never discriminated because of your background and you learn to respect people of different ideas.

Cons

I don't feel that this company really truly cares about their employees they have a meetings for employees to voice their concerns and they say they take into consideration nothing is ever done ...all promises no changes.for example cross training was a request on behalf of the employees but no actions were taken to make that happen....salary is unacceptable employees are not paid what their work is worth.... some employees that have been working for the company for over five years have just now received a raise but they had to wait 5 years. Banquet servers never received service charge it all goes directly to the company. Law requires carpet to be changed every two to three years if I'm not mistaken the carpet on the property we currently work on has not been changed since the hotel opened furniture is worn out... the hotel has received multiple negative reviews because of the quality of the hotel... service is exceptional every employee in every department works very hard to ensure that all guests are satisfied service wife but unfortunately the service does not equal to the quality of the building. There have been multiple requests and suggestions on behalf of the employees for renovations but we have learned that the company is very frugal with spending money and if they don't see it necessary it will not be spent.

Advice to Management

If you really care about the success of your company and the well-being of your employees listen to them understand that these are hard working people that need to be appreciated not just on paper,but on the floor, on the spot. Stop Be Frugal with money spent on a Hotel needs to be renovated and updated then provide the necessary supplies in order for that team and building to be successful the service must equal the quality of the building

8. "great employer for those who want to advance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chester, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chester, VA

I have been working at Shamin Hotels full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

secure job and many opportunities to advance. many different departments to chose from

Cons

constantly and rapidly growing company. need energy and drive to keep up with the growth. hospitality industry is 24/7 service industry. either you love it or hate it.

Advice to Management

better communication with associates

9. "No Work Life Balance"

Pros

None that I can think of

Cons

High Expectations, Low Pay, Work Life Balance is non existent, very little vacation time, upper management treats employees as second class citizens

Advice to Management

Get rid of upper management and treat employees a little better

10. "Front Desk Agent"

Former Employee - Front Desk in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Front Desk in Richmond, VA

Pros

A lot of opportunities to transfer, and they dominate the Richmond Va area.

Cons

Weak pay and they focus on purchasing more propitious, then fixing the ones they currently own.

Advice to Management

Take car of your employees, and people will stay longer.