Shane English School Reviews | Glassdoor

Shane English School Reviews

Updated Sep 14, 2019

Found 84 reviews

3.4
Pros
  • "Getting paid on time on the 10th of every month(in 8 reviews)

• "Maximum class sizes are 14 and you always have a TA in the room with you(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Company accommodation is overpriced(in 7 reviews)

• "If you're full-time there are a lot of training days and event days which are paid, but a pain to attend(in 6 reviews)

1. "ESL Part Time Teachers"

Former Employee - Graduate Student in San Diego, CA

I worked at Shane English School full-time for less than a year

Pros

This company was small in Chengdu, China and a wonderful experience. I had a great experience there and loved the atmosphere and having the kids foster their interest in foreign languages!

Cons

Perhaps I wanted more hours. Maybe a bit more orientation for teaching would help, as at the time, my teaching was fun and enjoyable, but now I really feel satisfied with the students retention rate.

Advice to Management

Perhaps a bit more orientation for new recruits but overall tremendous job and am very glad I worked there.

Shane English School2017-12-25
  2. "Kindergarten Teacher"

Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Shane English School full-time

Pros

The kids and staff are awesome

Cons

Compared to other english schools the pay was low.

Shane English School2019-08-11
  3. "Strong performance leads to more work"

Former Employee - ESL Teacher

I worked at Shane English School full-time

Pros

Lots of professional training

Cons

If you perform we, it leads to more work. If you don't do well, you aren't asked to do as much.

Shane English School2019-08-20

"A Decent Job"

Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at Shane English School full-time for more than a year

Pros

Experience different cultures and different viewpoints Mold young minds Make a difference Work in a fast-paced environment Some kids are the brightest or the kindest

Cons

Work out of a book Have very little to do with curriculum More babysitting in English than teaching Some kids are spoiled

Advice to Management

Allow more growth

Shane English School2017-02-11
  5. "Teacher of English as a foreign language"

I worked at Shane English School

Pros

Friendly staff and management. Fairly flexible working hours.

Cons

Working on weekends is required.

Shane English School2016-09-21

"Teacher"

I worked at Shane English School

Pros

Great experience. With a good manager, teaching can be stress-free. Decent pay. Afforded me the ability to travel the world, which I am very grateful for.

Cons

Some teachers who teach english as a foreign language are not very professional. There were several instances when teachers would come to school drunk and have to be fired.

Advice to Management

Always keep an even keel. Perhaps offer some sort of incentive bonus for teachers with perfect attendance or what not. Be creative in how you convince non workers to take their jobs seriously.

Shane English School2016-01-13

"Pretty good experience"

Former Employee - English Language Teacher in Denver, CO

I worked at Shane English School full-time for more than a year

Pros

It was an excellent opportunity to travel and experience a new culture. Training was descent and was a good way to experience teaching the first time.

Cons

Sometimes management was difficult to work with, didn't treat the Chinese staff with respect. Sometimes it felt like a business not a school.

Advice to Management

Invest in your Chinese staff more for less turnover rate. Have more ways that employees can help the school grow.

Shane English School2015-12-10

"Fun but exhausting"

I worked at Shane English School full-time

Pros

It's always fun working with children and the teaching environment is fast-paced and always active. Once you're there for a few months, the lesson planning only takes minutes.

Cons

It can get a bit exhausting playing games every minute of the day. The pay is also not that great for comparable companies.

Shane English School2015-11-05

"Foreign Language Trainer"

I worked at Shane English School

Pros

I liked the foreign management.

Cons

The commute was terrible though.

Shane English School2015-09-10

"Nanjing Schools: It gets better if you stick around more than a year"

English Teacher

I have been working at Shane English School

Pros

I've been working at Shane English in Nanjing for little more than two years. Shane functions very much like a franchise, with the owners in Nanjing having their main school on Rui Jin Road and two other schools elsewhere in the city. Recently they also opened a huge kindergarten (not sure how that's going since I work mostly at the school on Rui Jin Road). This review deals specifically with the Shane schools in... Nanjing. About a week after my arrival in China, the school sent me to HQ in Shanghai for training. This was very helpful since I had no idea what I was supposed to do. I should add that not all the teachers are sent to Shanghai for training, but you will probably be observing other teachers' classes for the first week. Experienced teachers at the school will also run you through the way things are done and show you the ropes. It's really not rocket science. Shane uses a fixed structure for lesson plans and prefers that teachers stick to that. The structure of their lesson plans works well and helps new teachers to find their feet, but if you should deviate from it after a year or two the world won't end. As long as the kids are learning and having fun, and nobody complains, you'll be as good as gold. Retaining your students is what counts most. The books are pretty unremarkable and probably won't pose much of a challenge for more advanced students. However, I used the books more like guidelines and taught additional language where I could. Thus far nobody complained about that. They also have all the flash cards you'll need to teach, so you won't have to make any. They also have smart boards in all the classrooms with files for almost every lesson you'll have to teach already made. The atmosphere in the office is very friendly and laid back. You're not going to work yourself to death at Shane in Nanjing. Working hours are from 20 to 25 hours per week. Chances are you'll start at 25 hours per week and negotiate something else after your first year (they don't mind negotiating if you do your job well enough). The two longest days are Saturdays and Sundays, on which you can expect to work 6 hours a day respectively. From Wednesday to Friday you'll work about 3 hours per day. Mondays and Tuesdays will be your down time. In a class, there are usually 5 to 14 students, from age 4 to 12. Students are usually placed in classes according to their age and level of English, but during summer camps you might get a mixed bag here and there. Shane also acts as an examination center for Trinity and each year some of the teachers will get a few Trinity students to train for the oral examination. That can be very rewarding. Level checks are done by the foreign teachers (in other words guys like me). This means, at least theoretically, that you're likely to see students in classes where you placed them. However, at times parents may decide that you simply didn't see what a genius their kid is and ignore your recommendation. It happens a lot. If you do your job well -- that means retaining students, being able to manage bigger classes, and winning over new customers -- the owners will bend over backwards to keep you. They are open for negotiating working hours, salary and almost everything else. Yes, they are in it for the money, same as every other English School in China. No doubt about that. But that's their function. As teachers, ours is to teach English. So I'm not going to go on about how it's only about making money and nothing about education. My advice is get your own priorities straight and teach if you want it to be about that. As a teacher, you're the part that's all about education in the company. I should however say that the salary increases also help a lot. In two years time I moved from a small studio apartment to a duplex. So yeah, you can work at Shane Nanjing long term and not go insane.

Cons

A while back the owners forced everyone to attend absolutely pointless meetings every week. Then it became once every month. Now we seem to almost never have meetings, which is probably for the best. The Chinese staff and the management still have meetings, though. The way I see it, a company should have meetings when there is something to have a meeting about. You don't have a meeting and then try to come up with a... reason to have it while there. Then it becomes a pointless waste of time. Sometimes kindergartens contract Shane to teach English at their schools. I had to do outside locations for two years. You're looking at about thirty students per class, usually first thing in the morning. Then you have a break until the afternoon and have your regular lessons at Shane. It can become very tiring. In addition, the lessons sold to the kindergartens do not always give you enough class time with the students to cover the material. For instance, I was expected to teach a 24 week course in 16 weeks in half the class time to more than thirty kids! In addition, Shane in Nanjing also does daycare. Some of the kids are two years old, and we're supposed to have these little lessons with them. It's like herding cats. Luckily, they don't give me those classes anymore. Those classes seem to be reserved for new teachers. If you can bear it for a year, it'll probably get better. HR management is a bit of a problem at Shane. Especially the positions of school manager and welfare officer seem to be cursed. Since I started working at Shane, we had new people in those positions every six months. Some of the people who resigned from those positions had told me they felt as if the owners didn't give them enough space to make managerial decisions. They felt more like puppets. So it does seem as if the owners are a bit too despotic at times, and some of their ideas are unfortunately silly at times. It seems as if they prefer managers who will not disagree with them. They also tend to appoint welfare officers who cannot speak English. This is a real problem since foreign teachers rely on the welfare officer to sort out their problems, like if you get sick or need to find an apartment. Hopefully this will improve, since it doesn't look good for new teachers being recruited. Some of the computers are also extremely old, slow and still running on Windows XP. Most of the flash cards also need to be replaced since they look horrible. But those are problems that can be easily solved, and might be a thing of the past when you read this review. Overall, though, I think Shane in Nanjing is probably one of the better schools to work for. Sure they have their problems and sometimes I feel like pulling out my hair, but then I think about the 40 hours per week I used to work back home and how soul-consuming that was. Really, teaching at Shane is a breeze compared to the other jobs I've done back home. I have a lot more time for myself.

Advice to Management

Get people who can speak English at the front desk. Get a welfare officer who can speak English. To the owners: give the managers more space to make decisions on their own.

Shane English School2014-10-01