ShaneCo Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
ShaneCo Executive Chairman & President Tom Shane & Rordan Shane
Tom Shane & Rordan Shane

Pros
  • Every single person I've met at the Home Office and in the stores is a pleasure to be around (in 12 reviews)

• Also great pay and incentives for working hard (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • The challenge in work life balance in retail is taxing on people's personal lives (in 11 reviews)

• Retail hours, for those who would rather not work nights or weekends (in 11 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"My experience at Shane Co is different everyday !! It makes me genuinely happy to assist with such rare merchandise."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Olive, MO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Olive, MO

I have been working at ShaneCo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company values they're employees like no other place I've worked. It makes me feel amazing to know I am valued for who I am & all that I bring to my team.

Cons

If I must say anything negative,...its retail hours,..but I'm used to retail hrs, so it's not that bad ! Paid holidays are awesome !

Advice to Management

Continue expansion on developing each team member so that our team can be the best in the company & discovering new team building activities for the Saturday meetings with goals of making our team closer so that we understand each other even better. Also thank you for helping me grow with Shane Co so that I can continue my education & skill set for maximum sales & development.

Feb 8, 2017 – Chief Human Resources Officer

Thank you for the feedback! We are definitely focused on developing our team members and our team leaders. We would love any suggestions you have to Saturday activities...send them to me directly ... More

"Diamond Consultant"

Current Employee - Sales Diamond Consultant in Duluth, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Diamond Consultant in Duluth, GA

I have been working at ShaneCo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Once acclimated to the company culture, it is an exciting and fun place to work. Getting used to the teamwork approach to sales interaction requires a certain sense of humility and sacrifice, but once you truly buy in, and understand that everyone benefits from the approach, it becomes less like a personal sacrifice or criticism of your own individual effort and more like making sure that you, in New England Patriots vernacular, "Do your job", in order to win. We all contribute, thus we all win. The work hours are not bad, particularly for retail. That being said, it is "specialty retail." Being specialty retail, you really do feel like a "professional."

Cons

1) Weekends are lost. It is RETAIL. 2) Floor Directors Lovely Faces:-)!

Advice to Management

A stronger effort to rotate an occasional weekend of into the sales associates schedule.

Feb 17, 2017 – Chief Human Resources Officer

We agree that occasional weekends off would be great, and are working to test. Love the Patriots reference since I'm from New England. :) Thanks for the feedback!

"Fun Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at ShaneCo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The team that I work with is amazing. We really do have a lot of fun during the fast paced craziness. The company is very employee focused and promotes a family feeling. You are required to work most weekends, but as far as retail hours go, I have worked way worse. ( i don't have to get up at 5 am for work, or work holidays, or work Saturday or Sunday nights!) Every day brings a new opportunity to help with other people's major life events ( new baby, anniversaries, engagements, birthdays) and it's really great to be apart of that. (the warm fuzzies are a good thing)

Cons

Working with the public can be challenging some days and not everyone is the perfect fit for our group and or the pace of our business.

Feb 6, 2017 – Chief Human Resources Officer

Thank you for the feedback..it sounds like you are enjoying yourself!!

"Work Hard, Play Hard"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Olivette, MO
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Olivette, MO

I have been working at ShaneCo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked with this company for over 7 years. The culture of the company is fantastic with a focus on teamwork and self development. We are able to have fun at work with co-workers and customers which fosters an enjoyable work atmosphere. The mission statement is "To Proudly and Profitably Have Fun." The goals are individually and team focused and the team works well together in accomplishing our goals. The company has a lot of opportunity for advancement. I have held four positions in my seven year tenure.

Cons

Retail business hours, finding work/life balance

Advice to Management

Continue to promote the positives and give constructive feedback.

Feb 8, 2017 – Chief Human Resources Officer

Thank you for the suggestion on promoting the positives, we agree! Thanks also for your feedback!

"Amazing Company"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at ShaneCo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a true family atmosphere and we have fun everyday! I love working for a company that allows me to make decisions that are in the best interest of our customers and employees.

Cons

Being in retail my entire career, work/life balance is a little more difficult but having a team that truly cares and makes accommodations to make it easier helps.

Advice to Management

Continue to allow employees to learn and grow.

Feb 7, 2017 – Chief Human Resources Officer

Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts!! We are absolutely focused on creating an environment where employees can learn and grow...great advice!

7. "Sales Associate"

I have been working at ShaneCo full-time

Pros

Great place to buy jewelry

Cons

Management when I was there wasn't great

"Passion"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at ShaneCo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a team based work environment and will strive to help its employees reach their potential as long as they too are willing to work for it.

Cons

Although it is about as high end retail as retail can be it is still retail. Expect to work weekends.

Feb 7, 2017 – Chief Human Resources Officer

Thank you for sharing this! We truly do make every effort to help our teammates reach their potential, and are so glad you feel that!

"Great Atmosphere, team oriented, fast-paced."

Current Employee - Sales in Franklin, TN
    Current Employee - Sales in Franklin, TN

I have been working at ShaneCo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This company has a great open door policy that allows to employees to have open communication with any manager they feel most comfortable with. Also closing at 5 on Saturday and Sunday make it nice to be able to enjoy activites on part of the weekend.

Cons

Work most weekends. Also work nights about once or twice a week.

Feb 8, 2017 – Chief Human Resources Officer

Thank you for sharing your feedback, we appreciate it more than you know!

"Wonderful Job!"

Current Employee - Bench Jeweler in Franklin, TN
    Current Employee - Bench Jeweler in Franklin, TN

I have been working at ShaneCo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun staff.
    Flexible schedule/hours.
    Vacation time.
    Paid holidays.
    Great benefits.
    Positive, high energy working environment.
    Off at a decent time on the weekends.
    Management is trustworthy and always open to feedback/concerns.

Cons

Retail hours, for those who would rather not work nights or weekends.

Feb 8, 2017 – Chief Human Resources Officer

Thank you for sharing feedback with us!

"Good Place, Good Culture"

Current Employee - Sales Assonciate in Kennesaw, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Assonciate in Kennesaw, GA

I have been working at ShaneCo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture here is phenomenal. If you are looking for a place where you will genuinely have a good time for 40 hours a week, this I a good option. Shane Co has a really good educational process, where your learn more than you ever thought you wanted to know about stones, metal, jewelry making, buying and sales. The management staff is very hands on when it comes to coaching through sales and offering different perspectives on everyday scenarios. The sales team and managers are very supportive, as long as you are a ambitious person that cares about the job, management will go to the end of the Earth to make sure you are succeeding. This is my first job in a primarily sales based environment, and being that it is not commissions, I honestly do not feel like I have to act like a sleazy car salesmen in order to have a good day.

We've got decent benefits. Our insurance is pretty good, great if you compare it to other companies. You can enroll in 401K through Merrill Lynch and Shane does have a company match program.

Cons

Being in jewelry, be prepared to work the days and weeks before major selling holidays, like Christmas and Valentine's Day. On the other hand, on most holidays you get paid time off. There are times surrounding said holidays when you can't take vacations because the volume requires all hands on deck. But, management knows that isn't always the happiest scenario, so they do their best to keep everyone happy through treats and incentives throughout that time.

You cannot skimp on buying good quality shoes with enough cushion to support you standing on your feet the majority of your shift.

Advice to Management

None, they try. Every company will have their ups and downs, but the management we've got in the store tries to be very understanding and accommodating through it all.

Feb 6, 2017 – Chief Human Resources Officer

Thank you for the thorough and thoughtful review! We absolutely do work hard to make the time you spend at work enjoyable. And being open just noon to five on Sundays and closed on most major ... More