ShaneCo Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
ShaneCo Executive Chairman & President Tom Shane & Rordan Shane
Tom Shane & Rordan Shane

Pros
  • The benefits are great, compensation is higher than average, and the opportunities are there if you have the drive to succeed (in 9 reviews)

• Every single person I've met at the Home Office and in the stores is a pleasure to be around (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • The challenge in work life balance in retail is taxing on people's personal lives (in 14 reviews)

• Horrible hours, be prepared to work every weekend and holiday, say goodbye to your family (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Uncompromising Standards"

Current Employee - Jeweler in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Jeweler in Louisville, KY

I have been working at ShaneCo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

By far the greatest job I've ever had. It's incredible how quickly your fellow employees turn into your family. Customers come back looking to work for us simply because of how much every employee they interact with here seems to enjoy their job. Your managers not only care for you like you are one of their own, but they will do everything in their power to help you grow in your career and with the company. The passion every person, from entry-level associate to upper-level management possesses, is genuine and people-focused. It's a company I'm am sincerely proud to be a part of and love to represent in my work every day.

Cons

Retail hours can be tricky, but nothing too terrible. Supervising can be a little more hands-on and involved than other retailers or salespeople may be used to, but strategies often prove to be effective.

Apr 19, 2017 – Chief Human Resources Officer

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback!

2. "Customer Service"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Centennial, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Centennial, CO

I worked at ShaneCo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really cool jewelry and great discount.

Cons

Lot's of feedback. Must be willing to change the way you talk.

Advice to Management

Have more fun.

Jun 12, 2017 – Chief Human Resources Officer

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

"Diamond Consultant"

Current Employee - Sales Diamond Consultant in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Diamond Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at ShaneCo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked for a large chain jewelry store for over four years. When I realized that basically minimum wage and 65 hours a week is not a career, I applied to Shane Co. The management staff was nervous to hire someone from a commission based company because they didn't want to hire someone who was shade. I respected their concerns and I assured them that I was the opposite of the shady mall sales man.
    Months later, here I am, thriving in a jewelry store that is based on honesty. In my 5 months of working for Shane I have learned more about jewelry than I did at my 4 years. What sets Shane-Co apart from every other jewelry store, whether it is a massive chain or a mom and pop shop, is that they are dedicated for you to have a career and life outside of work. As a current senior in college they have supported schedules that work for me and my co-workers.
    Being in sales can be a hard job. There are many companies that only care about money. So the best part about working here is that the number one priority is our customers and I get to experience that every single day. If you are considering applying for a jewelry sales job and you are looking at different employers remember this, jewelry sells itself, you have to convince people that they are investing their money in a good company. At Shane-Co you don’t have to stretch the truth or manipulate anyone. It’s a great company with trustworthy employees from the CEO to the store sales. I wake up every day with energy to come to work because of the amazing culture.
    Extras that I love about the company
    • SCHEDULES IN ADVANCE
    • Work life balance
    • Paid holidays/paid float days
    • Paid vacation
    • Non-commission (meaning you still get paid)

Cons

If I had to change something about the company, I would give everyone a 9-5 schedule with every weekend off. However, I understand that a business cannot survive that way. Shane-Co still gives their employees two days off in a row, which is extremely nice for the associates.

Mar 18, 2017 – Chief Human Resources Officer

Thank you so very much for this review!! We would love to hear more from you. If you have ideas for us, please speak to your managers, your HR contact, your DSD or me directly. It sounds like you ... More

4. "I LOVE my job and my team!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at ShaneCo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Shane Co is such an amazing place to work, I hardly know where to start. The management staff is full of incredibly smart and caring leaders, who genuinely want what is best for their employees both professionally and personally. We are given every tool to succeed and improve ourselves constantly with personalized coaching and feedback. The team is made up of wonderful people that all have different experiences and are encouraged to help in the development of their teammates in any way they can. Shane Co's products and policies are something that I feel very proud to represent. They have high quality jewelry for an unbelievably great price. Because of the policies they have in place, we are able to take care of our customers with any and all issues they have with something so personal and sentimental as jewelry. This company really is the best to work for, and the best for our customers. It is so nice to know that any moral choice I would want to make for a fellow human being, is a choice that this company makes as well. I love that every day is a different day with new challenges and puzzles to solve. Getting to be present for such big moments in people's lives is very rewarding. Shane co has given me an incredibly fulfilling career, and I can't wait to see where it goes!

Cons

This position is retail, so of course there are some nights and weekend hours. However, I used to work for a competitor, and Shane Co has much better hours, and flexibility with scheduling and time off. During the holiday season, the company and our managers make every possible effort to keep the moral high, and take care of us. I really couldn't ask for more from a retail position. I personally like the variation, it definitely isn't boring!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, and know that it is truly appreciated.

Apr 16, 2017 – Chief Human Resources Officer

Thank you SO much for sharing this feedback with us and your thoughts with potential new co-coworkers. We appreciate you!!

5. "Love the culture and the oppertunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at ShaneCo full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company culture is amazing, core values are strong and the ability to advance is totally up to you. Many of us have been able to advance all from within, a few even started as temps and are now VPs.

Cons

Retail hours are never idea, but Shane Co does what they can to take care of the customer and the emplyee

Apr 11, 2017 – Chief Human Resources Officer

Thank you for your feedback! We are really excited and proud to see the great careers our people achieve, whether they want to be the very best they can be in their current roles or they want to try ... More

"Best Retail Job, Best Job I've Ever Had"

I have been working at ShaneCo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I started as a customer at Shane Co first. I left so impressed after my experience that I knew if the opportunity came up I would love a shot at a job with Shane Co. In the matter of a few months of being a part of the Shane Co team I have grown so much as a person, and in my career in sales. The culture and environment is unlike any other place I've been apart of. We work as a team, but a better way to explain the way we work here is that we are a family. We work to do what's best for the customer, and a huge contributing factor to that is that we do not work on commission. I receive a steady paycheck each pay period regardless of my sales.
    If you are goal oriented, and self driven you are a perfect fit with Shane Co. We are constantly coached, and trained on our products and sales tactics. They want to see their employees succeed. Our management brings us in pizza, buys us lunch and plans fun trips for us all paid buy the company when we exceed our sales goal as a team.
    The outstanding pro with Shane Co? Working for a company that is honest, family owned with integrity, and a cares so much about its employees and customers. This is my second home. I am proud to say I work here.

Cons

We work most weekends, that being said we have short weekend hours. Where else do you find that? Saturday 10a-5pm, and Sunday 12-5pm.
    Customer service is exhausting, just don't let one irritated customer ruin your whole day. If you do not know how to move past that kind of issue this will be tough for you.

Advice to Management

Continue to teach us, coach us and encourage us. You make us feel great with the lunches, outings and positive and fun environment you have at our store. Don't ever stop that!

Apr 9, 2017 – Chief Human Resources Officer

Thank you for the thorough feedback! Your advice to keep coaching, teaching and encouraging is exactly what we want to do!

"Great company with a vision for success!"

Current Employee - Assistant Operations Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Assistant Operations Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at ShaneCo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is a growing company with a passion for growing WITH employees and not above them. There is a lot of investment in training and continual improvement--I've learned invaluable skills that help me succeed within my position and in my personal goals. Each employee is empowered and encouraged to create an "above and beyond" experience for customers and the moments created with guests are the driving force behind having a purpose beyond the paycheck. We focus on team building and shaping a culture that has people wanting to come to their job. My favorite part of the company is the high standard of integrity the company holds itself accountable to--whether it be an unhappy customer or an idea for improvement there is always a listening ear. Company executives make it a point to visit stores and bond with employees. They recognize the hard work stores put in each day and don't let it go unnoticed. I wouldn't have guessed that I would be passionate about developing a career in this industry, but I give full credit to the company culture and business philosophy. I've been employeed here nearly five years and only have plans to continue to grow. The benefits are great, compensation is higher than average, and the opportunities are there if you have the drive to succeed.

Cons

This is a retail position and with that comes the typical standard of minimal weekends off and holiday "black-out" periods. However, the hours are the best I've seen in any retail position and the stores close at five Saturday and Sunday--I've rarely worked past six on weekends. Corporate also does a great job supporting us during the holidays through care packages, surprise store lunches, etc.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on growing positively and stay the course. There have been many great changes in the recent past--keep seeking internal feedback so we all grow together.

Apr 10, 2017 – Chief Human Resources Officer

This is humbling feedback. Thank you so much for taking the time to share it!

"Unprofessional experience"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Louisville, KY

I worked at ShaneCo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People there are nice. The jewelry is beautiful. Office team and jewelers are great people who really support the sales team often with little recognition.

Cons

Micromanagement is insane. Managers are not professional and speak about putting the team first but do not act that way. It's a revolving door in terms of associates coming on board and then quitting. Some don't even make it through training. The Company stresses that salespeople don't work on commission however there are several people employed there that play games in order to achieve their sales goal. Overall, it was a disappointing experience.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach. Realize that your people are valuable.

May 5, 2017 – Chief Human Resources Officer

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are aware of some concerns in the location you listed and are working to address them. We are sorry that your experience was not more positive overall.

"Shane Company was a excellent career choice!"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at ShaneCo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-No cap hourly rate. You are compensated on your work ethic and contribution to the team. You are not.
    -An ample amount of routes to move towards management and or higher.
    -Basepay, not commission. This allows you to keep the customers needs in focus and putting your own aside.
    -2 Weeks paid vaction
    -Full benefits including; dental, vison, health, and 401k plans
    -Weekly/monthly spiffs to earn awards
    -Fun, friendly, and energetic enviroment
    -Amazing co-workers and managers. The greatness of this company starts from the top down. Everyone I have met in upper managment down, have been truly amazing!
    -A company who takes care of their employees so that in return we can take care of the customers.
    -A "hire the attitude, train the position" atmosphere, where no knowledge of jewlery is needed to excel in this company.
    -Competitive

Cons

-Great customer service is a must! We are all about creating the experience for the customer!
    -Must be able to work with multiple customers at once while remaining calm and collected, still providing the best customer service.
    -Have to be coach-able. This is a ongoing learing process.
    -Retail hours, but better than most.
    -A lot of time on your feet and moving around.
    -Have to have a tough shell.

Advice to Management

-They have been a lot of changes in management recently, however; they have been great in keeping everyone informed and on the same page.
    -They have a great spread of personalities to mesh with all employees

Mar 22, 2017 – Chief Human Resources Officer

Thank you for the great feedback! You are absolutely right that we are all about creating the experience for the customer, and we work hard to create a great a great career experience for you too ... More

10. "Sales Associate"

I have been working at ShaneCo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company takes care of its people through and through!! We are definitely like a family here. I know that sounds like a cliche, but it's seriously so true. We are all willing to help each other out in any way possible. Everyone here strives to see each other do well and to grow. There is so much product knowledge, so you gain so much from learning; stuff you didn't even think you needed to know to sell jewelry. I used to work for another jewelry company, and I have to say the environment here is second to none, especially in comparison to where I came from. I have never worked for a better company. You have to be willing to learn something new everyday. You have to be willing to take criticism well because it's part of coming up with a strategy for your next sale. You have to love laughter, because that's all you hear in this place. The company is great about taking care of its associates the same way it does its customers. We matter here, and we're not just little peons that "big wigs" don't care about. Everyone is down-to-earth and fun. It gets competitive in a fun way, because we all want to beat each other. I LOVEEEE the fact that it is not commissioned-based. The last place I worked definitely was, and it made it super hard and uncomfortable most days. Here, we love to have competitions to make the day more fun. It also makes the day go by faster in my opinion, because you're more focused on beating your co-workers than looking at the clock. I cannot say enough great things about this place.

Cons

Obviously it's retail, so it takes a certain type of person to be able to handle it. There are some days working retail that are harder to get through than others. It definitely takes someone who is willing to work with the public every day. It is also retail hours (not as bad as most, though), so it makes it hard sometimes to balance a life outside of work.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! There is constantly awesome advice coming from management to the sales team. You guys are fantastic at helping us in every single way you possibly can. You guys are the reason we are all motivated to be our best. Thank you guys for always teaching us what it takes to succeed. Thank you for never giving up on any of us. You guys are seriously the best!!

Mar 22, 2017 – Chief Human Resources Officer

What wonderful feedback! Thank you so very much for sharing your experience!