ShaneCo Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
ShaneCo Executive Chairman & President Tom Shane & Rordan Shane
Tom Shane & Rordan Shane

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The benefits are great, compensation is higher than average, and the opportunities are there if you have the drive to succeed (in 8 reviews)

• We have wonderful benefits and great pay (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • The challenge in work life balance in retail is taxing on people's personal lives (in 14 reviews)

• Retail hours can be tricky, but nothing too terrible (in 21 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best Company I have EVER worked for."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Centennial, CO

I have been working at ShaneCo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I work for our home office and I absolutely love it. Shane Co. is such an amazing company and second to none culture that truly resonates through each and every store, office and person. Tom and Rordan are extremely active and present within the business, and take time to get to know you as well. I have never been in a position, until now, where I truly felt valued and that my work was appreciated/making a positive contribution. Shane Co. is truly my dream company, and can absolutely say I see myself retiring from here.

Cons

Not much. Vacation doesn’t get accrued or awarded until six months after hire.

Aug 24, 2017 – Director, Human Resources

Thanks so much for your feedback! We truly do value the culture in our stores and home office, and you and every one of us makes that culture what it is!

2. "Love love love!"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Franklin, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Franklin, TN

I worked at ShaneCo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment. Rewarded for your hard work. Upbeat and fun. Lots of valuable training.

Cons

None. I loved working for Shane.

Advice to Management

Good job!

Oct 20, 2017 – Director, Human Resources

Thanks for the feedback! It certainly sounds like you had a rewarding experience working for Shane Co. Perhaps if the opportunity presents itself, you would consider coming back?

3. "CSA2"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Centennial, CO

I have been working at ShaneCo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good company with great leaders.

Cons

Health insurance is expensive and doesn't cover very much.

Oct 6, 2017 – Chief Human Resources Officer

Thanks for the feedback! We certainly believe it is vital for us to have great leaders. With regard to the health insurance, we go to great effort to ensure that our plan is competitive both in... More

4. "Keeps Getting Better"

I have been working at ShaneCo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is very competitive, benefits even more so. I've never seen a retailer with benefits as comprehensive and they just actually added MORE stuff! We all just got more vacation time and a paid day of community service, and part-time people earn paid time off too.

Cons

Retail hours, even though they are better than typical. Can be tiring. You have to be open to a lot of feedback because this company tries to provide feedback on every sale. That may make for the best customer experience but sometimes it can be exhausting to be on the receiving end.

Advice to Management

The way you recently handled both adding new benefits (a nice surprise for us and you did not wait for a new year to start to do it), and correcting a mistake you made in the "catch you listening" spiff showed how much integrity this company has. Everybody makes a mistake...you owned up to it and changed it. I've never seen that from a company. Please keep being "human."

Sep 20, 2017 – Chief Human Resources Officer

Thank you for the review and the kind remarks regarding integrity! That's not something we compromise. We appreciate your ratings and we hope you enjoy the enhanced benefits!

5. "Sales Associate"

I worked at ShaneCo full-time

Pros

Family-owned, non-commission, sales + bonuses. Team oriented. Excellent product training.

Cons

You have to be very sales minded, not for casual retail sales types.

Advice to Management

Be more supportive and less judgemental about sales goals

Sep 20, 2017 – Chief Human Resources Officer

Thank you for the feedback! We are glad you felt the product training was great!

"Do your Homeowrk"

I have been working at ShaneCo full-time

Pros

The pay and benefits are good and the hourly staff is great. The company will not let you go hungry as they reward you with food.

Cons

Upper level management has no trust towards the stores. If someone from up top does not like you, consider yourself done. They will do everything in there power to have someone get rid of you. The company also says that they have a coaching culture. It is more like a micro managing culture. If you love having eyes on you all day and telling you what to do, then this is the company for you.

Advice to Management

You need to make up you mind. You tell the staff to do one thing but then you revert back and tell them to go back to what they were doing. Believe in your people and stop micro managing.

Oct 2, 2017 – Director, Human Resources

Thanks for sharing your feedback. We do value our 'coaching culture', although we do not want it to feel like you are micromanaged. Listening to sales and peer-to-peer coaching are part of what... More

7. "Sales Representative"

I have been working at ShaneCo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent eviorment to work in. Good benefits

Cons

Retail Schedule, long hours and no regular schedule.

Sep 14, 2017 – Director, Human Resources

Thanks for the positive recommendation!

"Was great, steadily declining"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at ShaneCo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is above average and the perks of being part of a special part of someone's life is very cool. The team environment is great and bad apples usually don't last.

Cons

Turnover is unreal. At times, I can't get peoples names before they "don't work out" and are never mentioned again. Management is rarely on the same page- whether it be within management in the store, stores to home office, or everything in between. A lot of conflicting messages. Micromanagement isn't a strong enough word for the way it is. Not a lot of room for error or someone else will become the "go to." Even with no commission, it is really cut throat. Sneaky sales tactics are aplenty and the only people that we are transparent with, is customers (sometimes). There are a lot of note taking and secrets being passed around behind backs and backhanded ways to push some up and others down. It's becoming a stepping stone instead of a career that was promised....

Advice to Management

Stay true to your beliefs and ideals. It's supposed to be about he customer experience, not the dollars and credit cards used. Customers are noticing a trend that sales people are overly aggressive and won't let a sale "walk." Pushing budgets and "it's not going to be here when you think about it" is played out and customers hear it every where. Focus on the values and the true friends In The jewelry business and the money will come. The number of people working doesn't always equate to more sales- hire the people, not the number of openings you have. Lastly, be more protective of the "daily diary," when you leave it lying around. It's read and discussed and feelings get hurt.

Sep 20, 2017 – Chief Human Resources Officer

Your experience does not sound like what we would hope. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. If you'd like to share more details please feel free to call me personally.

9. "Sr. Services Desk Analyst"

Pros

Team work. You learn a lot working in a team environment. Some assignments, you have to work alone. Over all it is great environment to work and gain more experience.

Cons

You are challenged to prove what you know. But overall you will always have someone to lead you in the right direction.

Advice to Management

Times management is key to accomplishing company tasks.
    Planning ahead will solved last minute to rough problems.

Sep 5, 2017 – Director, Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Great advice on time management and planning ahead, and something we hope is continuing to improve. The bonus of sharing feedback as a current employee is the... More

10. "It's retail"

Pros

Decent discount on the jewelry

Cons

Micromanaged environment can be toxic

Sep 14, 2017 – Director, Human Resources

Thanks for the feedback! We hope the new benefit of receiving the employee discount from date of hire with no waiting period is an even bigger deal. If there are specific details you would like to... More