ShaneCo Sales Diamond Consultant Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
ShaneCo Executive Chairman & President Tom Shane & Rordan Shane
Tom Shane & Rordan Shane

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The benefits are great, compensation is higher than average, and the opportunities are there if you have the drive to succeed (in 9 reviews)

• Every single person I've met at the Home Office and in the stores is a pleasure to be around (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • The challenge in work life balance in retail is taxing on people's personal lives (in 14 reviews)

• Horrible hours, be prepared to work every weekend and holiday, say goodbye to your family (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Diamond Consultant"

Current Employee - Sales Diamond Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at ShaneCo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked for a large chain jewelry store for over four years. When I realized that basically minimum wage and 65 hours a week is not a career, I applied to Shane Co. The management staff was nervous to hire someone from a commission based company because they didn't want to hire someone who was shade. I respected their concerns and I assured them that I was the opposite of the shady mall sales man.
    Months later, here I am, thriving in a jewelry store that is based on honesty. In my 5 months of working for Shane I have learned more about jewelry than I did at my 4 years. What sets Shane-Co apart from every other jewelry store, whether it is a massive chain or a mom and pop shop, is that they are dedicated for you to have a career and life outside of work. As a current senior in college they have supported schedules that work for me and my co-workers.
    Being in sales can be a hard job. There are many companies that only care about money. So the best part about working here is that the number one priority is our customers and I get to experience that every single day. If you are considering applying for a jewelry sales job and you are looking at different employers remember this, jewelry sells itself, you have to convince people that they are investing their money in a good company. At Shane-Co you don’t have to stretch the truth or manipulate anyone. It’s a great company with trustworthy employees from the CEO to the store sales. I wake up every day with energy to come to work because of the amazing culture.
    Extras that I love about the company
    • SCHEDULES IN ADVANCE
    • Work life balance
    • Paid holidays/paid float days
    • Paid vacation
    • Non-commission (meaning you still get paid)

Cons

If I had to change something about the company, I would give everyone a 9-5 schedule with every weekend off. However, I understand that a business cannot survive that way. Shane-Co still gives their employees two days off in a row, which is extremely nice for the associates.

Mar 18, 2017 – Chief Human Resources Officer

Thank you so very much for this review!! We would love to hear more from you. If you have ideas for us, please speak to your managers, your HR contact, your DSD or me directly. It sounds like you... More

"Diamond Consultant"

Current Employee - Sales Diamond Consultant in Duluth, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Diamond Consultant in Duluth, GA

I have been working at ShaneCo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Once acclimated to the company culture, it is an exciting and fun place to work. Getting used to the teamwork approach to sales interaction requires a certain sense of humility and sacrifice, but once you truly buy in, and understand that everyone benefits from the approach, it becomes less like a personal sacrifice or criticism of your own individual effort and more like making sure that you, in New England Patriots vernacular, "Do your job", in order to win. We all contribute, thus we all win. The work hours are not bad, particularly for retail. That being said, it is "specialty retail." Being specialty retail, you really do feel like a "professional."

Cons

1) Weekends are lost. It is RETAIL. 2) Floor Directors Lovely Faces:-)!

Advice to Management

A stronger effort to rotate an occasional weekend of into the sales associates schedule.

Feb 17, 2017 – Chief Human Resources Officer

We agree that occasional weekends off would be great, and are working to test. Love the Patriots reference since I'm from New England. :)
    Thanks for the feedback!

3. "Create wonderful experiences"

Current Employee - Sales Diamond Consultant in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Sales Diamond Consultant in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at ShaneCo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers and wonderful customers. The ability to grow with the company and the ability to learn things you can still use in everyday life. I look forward to coming to work even if I am not in the best mood it changes the moment I walk through the door. Also great pay and incentives for working hard. You definitely get out of it what you put in!

Cons

I have been with this company for 2 years now and I am yet to find anything to complain about. If I really had to be picky I would say working weekends but hey its retail.

Advice to Management

I really have no advice for our management team. They are a wonderful group of people who are always looking out for my best interest and willing to put in the work to get me to where I wanna be.

Dec 5, 2016 – Chief Human Resources Officer

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts! It is great to hear that things are going well in your store and you are enjoying your time here. I had the chance to visit your store about a month ago... More

"Give a lot. Gain very little."

Former Employee - Sales Diamond Consultant in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Diamond Consultant in Englewood, CO

I worked at ShaneCo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Make great friends in family style environment. Small discount. Home office has the right idea with company culture unfortunately that vision doesn't always trickle down to the store level.

Cons

Micromanaged environment where you have to answer for everything you do. No incentive for high performance. Long hours and low pay.

Advice to Management

Give praise to employees instead of regular write ups to all the staff, you'll get a better response. Negative consequences aren't as influential as positive reinforcement.

Jun 30, 2016 – Chief Human Resources Officer

Thank you for noting our positive, family-style environment and commitment to continually build our culture! We are dedicated to continual improvement as a whole and really value your last 5 years... More

"Great career, great company"

Current Employee - Sales Diamond Consultant in Lynnwood, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Diamond Consultant in Lynnwood, WA

I have been working at ShaneCo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Open door policy
    Flexible hours
    Advancement opportunities
    Strong management
    A focus on personal growth
    Employee appreciation and team work

Cons

None at this time. Any concern or issue is always handled and addressed in a professional way. Their open door policy makes it easy to communicate with management and my team mates

Advice to Management

I came to this company with over 10 years of retail and sales experience and 6 years of retail management. The interview process was lengthy and included a phone interview and 2 in person interviews in store with the ASM's and the Store manager. I had initially applied for a management position and during my interviews I was told that they typically don't hire management from the outside. While I was a little upset that I wasn't qualified with 6 years of management under my belt, I continued through the process and decided to accept a sales job.

I'm really glad I did. The store and company culture and internal employee appreciation is beyond what I expected it to be. I quickly realized why they try to hire internal candidates for management. The company and store team puts so much effort and customer service into EVERY customer. Their business and coaching model is very different than (what I assume is) most companies. I feel that the company's wanting me to start out as a sales associate first only shows their desire for me to succeed and advance within the company. I worked sales jobs where the dollar was most important and people came second. I don't feel that from this company. Shane Co recognizes it's need for talented, motivated people and treats us accordingly.

While no store or company is absolutely perfect, I would encourage management to keep up to good work. I enjoy going to work every day and have my team and store support my growth and development and the company should continue to operate this way and empower its employees.

Dec 3, 2015 – Chief Human Resources Officer

Thank you for the very helpful feedback. We are glad you are on the team!

"challenging sales position"

Current Employee - Sales Diamond Consultant
    Current Employee - Sales Diamond Consultant

I have been working at ShaneCo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

you learn all about diamonds and other gems and very advanced hard selling techniques. full time hours with good benefits. great teamwork environment amongst staff.

Cons

hard sell approach to sales even though you are not on commission. Managers are on you all the time about everything. Lots of down time with nothing to do in between sales is really boring. written documentation on everything: if you don't achieve your goals or if you are barely late or if you don;t follow procedures etc. even though you are not on commission sales are tracked and read aloud in daily morning meeting and posted for all to see.

Advice to Management

less hard sell techniques to close sales. though some of them work most don't. it gives a mixed message to tell customers we are not on commission yet track each sales person's sales .

Nov 2, 2015 – Chief Human Resources Officer

Thank you very much for your feedback. We are glad you are enjoying the teamwork environment! and thanks for the great rating on Compensation and Benefits. Next year our benefits get even better as... More

"I love my job but management needs some work"

Former Employee - Sales Diamond Consultant
    Former Employee - Sales Diamond Consultant

I worked at ShaneCo full-time

Pros

Great company overall. Upper (corporate) management actually interacts with you on a regular bases. Knowing you by name, asking for your input to improve/generate business. They genuinely want individuals to grow within the company especially if your mobile.

Cons

Prepare to hold your tongue, instead of constructive criticism from your management team they can and will belittle you especially, if you didn't close a sale and didn't turnover the sale. Being confident in yourself only applies if your a top sales. Did something wrong, expect to hear about it for months until someone else does something worse. If your not the favorite or top sales you can forget it.

Advice to Management

Store management needs to realize were human. People will make mistakes and not all sales will close but, don't beat up the sales person for trying to give their guest the best experience possible.

Oct 15, 2015 – Chief Human Resources Officer

We agree that everyone is human, every win should be celebrated and opportunities should be viewed as just that. We absolutely NEVER would want anyone to be, or feel, belittled. Thank you for all you... More

"Sales"

I have been working at ShaneCo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay. Easy to get accruals for paid vacation time. Most national holidays are given to you off. It can be a fun atmosphere once you learn all of the training material. Non commissioned environment. For the most part your fellow co workers are nice and easy to work with.

Cons

You'll feel like you're are being micro managed from time to time. It's retail, so you'll have to work longer hours during the holiday season. It's hard to get a raise, so negotiate hard when you first start.

Advice to Management

Don't be a micro manager. Only micro manage those that actually need it.

Aug 17, 2015 – Chief Human Resources Officer

Thank you for the feedback. We really appreciate the five star rating of senior management! We do spend a lot of time coaching and have found that to be a successful method for us, and we know that... More

"I can't figure out why I stayed there so long!"

Former Employee - Sales Diamond Consultant in Lynnwood, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Diamond Consultant in Lynnwood, WA

I worked at ShaneCo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is pretty good. Benefits are OK. They are very selective about who they hire, so coworkers are great. They sure churn through them though. Average tunure at my location was just a few months. Sadly, most employees are recruited and give up other jobs to work for Shane Company, lured by promises that are seldom kept.

Cons

A level of Micromanagement that would put a communist regime to shame. They constantly talk about how the company is a "family" and how appreciated everyone is. But, people constantly "disappear". No announcement of their termination. It's like they never existed, and even talking about them is unofficially frowned upon.

Shane Company loves to advertise that their sales people are not on commission. This is technically true, yet the pressure to close sales at any cost is TREMENDOUS! Your standing with management is directly dependant on whether you closed your last sale or not. Never mind that you didn't have what the customer wanted (you should have sold them something else). I was even told by management that customers don't KNOW what they want! If you don't close your current customer, management treats you like a failure. It's easy to redeem yourself though. Just close the next one and the manager is high-fiveing you (and in one instance I remember, boosting about how big his bonus was going to be).

Favoritism was rampant at my location. Something that would get most employes fired (and it didn't take much) was overlooked if management liked you. I saw this again and again.

Expect to be written up periodically, whether you deserve it or not. Management likes to maintain a file of reasons they can use to terminate you at any time.

Advice to Management

Lighten up. Value people for all of their contributions, not just whether or not they closed their last sale. STOP LYING! To customers and to employees. It flies in the face of what you purport your company values and philosophy to be.

Aug 10, 2015 – Chief Human Resources Officer

We agree that the pay and benefits are good, and are proud of that. We also agree that contributions of all types are necessary for the company to succeed, and that is why we bonus every single... More

"Best company to work for by far!"

Former Employee - Sales Diamond Consultant in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Diamond Consultant in Nashville, TN

Pros

This company is awesome.... management, my coworkers and all of our happy customers. Too bad there are not more companies out there that have such integrity and values! Great job Shane co!

Cons

Not really any con's. I had a hard time getting to work on time but that was a me issue.

Advice to Management

Perfection at its finest! Lori you are truly one of a kind and anyone that has the opportunity to work for you and with you and beside you should consider themselves lucky!

Apr 4, 2015 – VP of Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to write about us! We are glad you had a good experience.