Shapes Total Fitness for Women Reviews | Glassdoor

Vince Julien

"Manager"

Former Employee - Management in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Management in Tampa, FL

I worked at Shapes Total Fitness for Women full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had a very close relationship with my manager. She was absolutely fantastic. If you needed help, she would help you...although she was VERY busy and had a lot on her shoulders. Most of the members were great...some of the regulars i'm still good friends with. The machines and weight selections were nice to have (heavy weights rather than all machines and treadmills). Was promoted pretty quickly to management and loved it...at first. Love the independence.

Cons

I was thrown in to teaching group fitness when i had NO desire or knowledge whatsoever or HOW to teach group classes...so I failed miserably and wasted the members time, a tremendous amount of stress in order to be able to make a good paycheck, had to travel from gym to gym to either help with closeout or go to meetings, you have no control over what /how your clients eat...which makes it nearly impossible to promise them results, dirty locker rooms/showers/pool...and that was in a newer facility.

Advice to Management

More FORMAL training and CEC opportunities for trainers (not just additional certifications, i mean strictly PT), hire the cleaning crew back, more management and customer service training for employees.

2. "Awful experience, waste of my time."

Former Employee - Front Desk in Temple Terrace, FL
    Former Employee - Front Desk in Temple Terrace, FL

I worked at Shapes Total Fitness for Women part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There's a variety of equipment and they offer group fitness classes on land and in water. It's an all women's fitness club.

Cons

Management is awful. They only care about the money and not there employees. I was the only Hispanic woman who worked there... I felt discriminated against and was not given proper training. the manager literally gave me the handbook and that was that. The pay sucks and the membership rates are awful. Glad I left that place

3. "Terrible Experience with this Company"

Former Employee - Certified Personal Trainer in Carrollwood, FL
    Former Employee - Certified Personal Trainer in Carrollwood, FL

I worked at Shapes Total Fitness for Women full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great community of members. As a new trainer, the members of the club were very welcoming and wonderful.

Cons

Hired to work FT, but company went out of business 1 week later. Management stated lease was not renewed. They didn't even let members know until last minute. Poor compensation plan. Was asked to work my last week without pay or commission.

Advice to Management

Be more honest with employees and members. Don't hire someone if you know you may close down in a week.

5. "Sales and Front Desk"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Palm Harbor, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Palm Harbor, FL

I worked at Shapes Total Fitness for Women full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I loved working at Shapes, the atmosphere was very positive.

Cons

I was not happy when they fired the cleaning company and staff was then required to clean showers and toilets.

Advice to Management

Keep the cleaning crew!

"Inconsistent pay"

Former Employee - Trainer in Brandon, FL
    Former Employee - Trainer in Brandon, FL

Pros

The members made it worthwhile.

Cons

Inconsistent pay (PT/GT earnings)
    Poor management - Poor communication - Poor pay.
    Management are not invested in their employees welfare.

Advice to Management

Spend time helping your staff build and maintain a client base rather than just hiring/firing more staff. Your staff invests in YOUR members emotionally - give a little back.

7. "Underpaid, over worked!"

Former Employee - Gym Membership Sales in Sarasota, FL
    Former Employee - Gym Membership Sales in Sarasota, FL

I worked at Shapes Total Fitness for Women full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free gym membership and some of the trainers/instructors were really nice people.

Cons

This was the worst job I have ever had! When hired I was told I would get weekly bonuses if I made my goals, as well as additional bonuses on weekend days...never happened. I never once received a bonus, and my commission was either wrong, a month late, or just not present on my check at all. Management will tell you anything to appease you and also has no problem lying to get someone to get then to buy a membership. The environment is full of gossip, greedy employees, and shady management. Miserable employer!

Advice to Management

Get some honesty, integrity, and treat your members and employees with respect.

8. "Shapes will go out of business really soon at this rate."

Current Employee - Sale Consultant in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Sale Consultant in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Shapes Total Fitness for Women full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are good at Sales and you understand how everything works, you could make money.

The members.

Cons

All women, All drama. Constant bad talking about other employees and mostly members.

Hostile working environment. Not everyone will like you.

The manager gets most the sales, and will take your sale excluding you out of the 50/50 commission. (when you make a sale but they came on some else guest pass, you and that other person split the commission.) They can sabotage that by firing you "just because".

Do not trust ANYONE you work with. They will NOT help you, they will be working against you.

"They will try to make you quit, if they don't like you."(said a manager)

Lack of fitness skills among employees. (most employees are not in "shape" either)

Advice to Management

Speaking on behalf of several goodhearted employees. Your business needs a lot of work. It was by far the worst experience.. There is no BUSINESS ETIQUETTE amongst your employees and managers. Your employees NEED to be trained in Nutrition and Fitness or have some type of education background. You SHOULD NEVER health advice to other members if you have ZERO knowledge on this. It is very unfair to your future customers and members.

9. "Disorganized, but easy"

Current Employee - Daycare Attendant in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Daycare Attendant in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Shapes Total Fitness for Women part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free membership to the gym and fun team members

Cons

The company as a whole is very disorganized, and there is no room to move up in the company

10. "Where do you go from here?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Pros

The variety of women you get to meet.

Cons

You just don't know where you stand.

Advice to Management

Your employees are not all the same. When you realize you have someone who works hard and gives their best, there has to be a way to recognize this individual. What does it take to review their salary and consider giving them a raise? A posted recognition of several employees' outstanding work as a group is not enough. Singling the employee out and letting them know that they are appreciated would be better.

11. "tense work environment"

Former Employee - Reception in New Port Richey, FL
    Former Employee - Reception in New Port Richey, FL

Pros

Free membership. okay work hours.

Cons

Poor management; didn't listen to employees or take the club seriously.

Advice to Management

listen to your employees and respect them and the members.