Shapiro & Ingle Reviews | Glassdoor

1.9
Gerald M. Shapiro

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Realistic Viewpoint"

I have been working at Shapiro & Ingle full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I’ve worked with Shapiro & Ingle for 15 years, and honestly, reading most of the negative reviews posted on this website do not accurately reflect the values and work environment of the Firm. I understand that everyone’s experience will be different, but in reading several of these reviews the bias one might have as a disgruntled former employee is fairly evident. There are multiple claims, boarding on libel, which are completely unverified. One person claims to have worked at the firm for 3 years, another over 5 years, all while hating every minute of it. Granted, this type of work may not be for everyone, but what kind of person stays at a job they despise for 3-5 years? The unemployment rate has been steadily decreasing for several years, so it’s not as if there aren’t other options available. It seems to me that a lot of people want the benefit of having a distinguished career with the perks of autonomy, increased pay, benefits, vacation days, trust/loyalty of their employer etc. without ever putting in the work that’s required to attain it. They expect to enter the workforce at the same level as someone who’s put in years of extra effort. If you’re just working a job, and not putting in the effort, you’re not allowed to lament about a situation you yourself have done nothing to improve. Then anonymously complain about a problem you helped create. The necessary tools to achieve upward mobility within the Firm are available to everyone. I’ve never felt limited in my pursuits to try something new, or achieve individual goals. You can’t put in the bare minimum, commiserate with others, contribute to a culture of negativity, and then expect to have an amazing work experience. This isn’t summer camp; grow up and gain some perspective because your current expectations are completely unrealistic.

One such person talks about how everyone on their team complained all day long about the work. At what point is an employee personally responsible for the toxic environment they are actively creating? If all you did was sit around complaining, focusing on the negative, is it any wonder your experience was miserable? Do you think that employees who behave in such a manner should be rewarded with perks and pay increases? Are you so complexly removed from reality that you can’t see how much you’ve contributed to the negative environment you claimed to hate? Your complaint is that you weren’t rewarded for having a negative attitude while contributing less than is expected, and fostering a toxic environment.

Over the years, I’ve worked in several positions with the Firm including managing departments and interviewing prospective employees. Default servicing is a highly competitive industry, with little else to distinguish one Firm from the next, which is why we emphasize excellent customer service. There are only a certain number of ways to achieve the standard of excellence our client’s expect, and principle among them is working efficiently. This is a place of employment after all, and that may not always mean it’s a fun and exciting place to hang out.

At every opportunity, the Firm integrates technology for the purpose of automating remedial tasks and improving efficiency. Managers use programs to monitor workflow and allocate resources in a team environment so that employees are able to support each other and accomplish their respective tasks in a reasonable amount of time. The Firm maintains an open door policy, and we appreciate feedback as well as constructive criticism from our employees. We have made and continue to make improvements to our overall process. We even take the time to read and respond to the reviews posted on this website, and have taken valid information and recommendations into consideration. Are there challenges and frustrations? Yes, but that is true of any job. The only thing we can control is our attitude and reaction to those outside forces.

Cons

Employees creating a negative work environment, while complaining to others, rather than providing constructive criticism and working with management.

Advice to Management

Continue promoting an open door policy to engage with staff and providing an example of positive leadership.

Nov 16, 2018 – Operations Manager

We appreciate the candid feedback. Obviously everyone has different experiences with their employers. We are thankful that a long-term employee took the time to write a detailed and thoughtful... More

"Foreclosure"

I worked at Shapiro & Ingle full-time

Pros

jeans, free coffee, lavish Christmas parties with free alcohol

Cons

The review from Realistic Viewpoint appears to be from one of the special treated employees. Special treatment is given to numerous employees so just turn the other cheek and bear it, too many managers and most without degrees I might add running the departments as they see fit and they come and go as they want, daily changes will give you whip lash, cross training is just another word for see you later. Employees work off of reports created by managers therefore if you work the reports correctly, you are good to go. Wrong!! Reports are not always set up correctly leading to mistakes which causes employees to loose jobs when lenders pull work from the firm. Shouldn't it be that the manager looses his/her job!!!

Advice to Management

new management staff is very much needed and not as many as I might add. You have a large staff of devoted employees that could take the firm to the top but this will never happen until changes are made. All employees, including managers should be required to clock in and out and take vacation for doctor visits or long lunches. No working from home unless we all can do it. Stop spending so much money and start saving it so when work slows, no layoffs will be needed. Who needs expensive Christmas parties. If you took a portion of that money and gave them a gift card, they would probably appreciate it more.

Nov 16, 2018 – Operations Manager

We appreciate the review. Reductions in overall personnel are never easy decisions. In fact, the annual holiday party was postponed this year due to the concerns raised above. We thank you for... More

"You will regret every minute. Realistic viewpoint review is a lie from the hiring manager."

Pros

You can never find a job that treats you worse. After working here, you will appreciate every job and manager you work with.

Cons

Don't take the job. You will despise every minute. None of these reviews are from disgruntled employees. There are far too many negatives for this to be the case. They are an honest representation of how this company is. When I first started, it was just 'meh'. The changes done during my time made it unbearable. You can't even imagine the amount of micromanaging that takes place here. You have to track every minute of your day. You have to account for how long you spend doing any and everything. You will spend most of your day dealing with managers about why you spent 20 total minutes sending emails the day before. Each day you spend a good amount of your time defending yourself about your previous days time. The metrics system used is hysterically flawed. You have no chance to grow. None of the managers went to college. They are not qualified and have no social skills. Due to their lack of education and skills, they will never leave. This means you cannot move up. When your neighbor quits, you will either be forced to take their job, or their job will be divided amongst others. You will get more work, just not more money. HR does a great job at spreading rumors on who you are involved with. This is a paradise for you if you are a female who loves to gossip. You will fit in lovely with the managers and HR. Hard work does not pay off here. The harder you work, the more responsibility you are given. If you are fortunate enough to complete your workload during your 8 hours, they will begin to give you more work. If you are able to leave at 5pm, they assume you don't have enough work. The hours worked are absurd. Work/life balance is the worst ever. If you have a family, forget about this job. An employee was granted permission to leave by 5pm to pick up her child, which was her normal ending time. They informed her around 4pm that she couldn't leave and needed to make arrangements for her child. HR created the bogus Realistic Viewpoint review. There are a few reasons employees are forced to stay here for years despite being miserable. The experience does not help at all in advancing a career. It is only beneficial if you want to be a legal assistant. You are constantly denied PTO, which makes interviewing difficult. The best part is.. HR won't even verify your employment! They will not act as a reference, regardless of great of an employee you are. TLDR.. they treat you like a dog for little pay and work experience that they will not confirm with future employers. Tons of places pay equal and treat you better.

Advice to Management

It's too late for you.

Nov 16, 2018 – Operations Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We regret your employment experience was negative with our firm. We wish you the very best in all your future endeavors. We would simply ask that any prospective... More

"Worst Places to Work in Charlotte"

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Shapiro & Ingle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only thing that made that place bearable was the people on my team who hated working there as much as I did. That was pretty much EVERYONE.

Cons

They work you like a dog and don't care about you. They have no interest in trying to improve or change anything to make working there an even remotely enjoyable experience. Work shouldn't be drudgery and we shouldn't hate waking up in the morning because that means we'll have to put in a 10-12 hour day. The pay is offensive because of how low it is compared to the market. How is someone supposed to make a living and pay rent? They are truly a "foreclosure mill" as one previous reviewer put it. Churn and burn is what they do to not only the foreclosures but also to their employees.

The attorneys act like they are better than everyone else and HR hires "legal assistants" who know nothing about the law so they can get away with a lot. The two lead attorney's have no clue or desire to know what goes on in the firm. They are too preoccupied with other activities. In reference to the firms claims that the foreclosure industry is complicated, I don't understand what that has to do with treating your employees with decency and respect. Yes, it is a stressful job with a lot of work and many moving pieces but that doesn't excuse your inability to care or actually implement changes. They have families to support and they don't want to be at work all day long.

Advice to Management

You have the power to say enough, and start making huge changes so that your work place would be somewhere people would WANT to work. Instead of ignoring peoples posts or completely skipping critiques I would ask yourselves what you would do if you were in the position of your employees. Ask yourselves why your turnover rates are so high (I know they are because I still know people there.) The humility to accept criticism and take recommendations into account so that changes for the better can be made is what transforms poorly managed companies into great companies. I hope that one day you will listen.

Sep 10, 2018 – Operations Manager

We thank you for your review. We regret you had a negative experience. Many changes have been made in recent years which will have a positive impact on the firm's employees moving forward. We... More

5. "Legal Assistant"

I have been working at Shapiro & Ingle full-time

Pros

Free Lunch every few months.

Cons

No culture. Very bland environment.

Jul 6, 2018 – Operations Manager

Management is always open to suggestions and ideas to promote a healthy work life balance. For instance, the office has sponsored a kickball team for many years in which numerous employees have... More

"Legal Assistant"

I worked at Shapiro & Ingle full-time

Pros

Great holiday party ---- lots of expensive prizes

Cons

Don't care about employees. They prefer quantity over quality. They lie a lot about what they will do for you. I would not recommend working here. I worked over 70 hours a week

Advice to Management

They are the worst.

Apr 16, 2018 – Operations Manager

We disagree with the above purported review and question its authenticity. Our current average work week is approximately 40-45 hours for our hourly employees. The rest of the review does not... More

7. "Busy Place To Work"

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Shapiro & Ingle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Never bored, lots to do, fun people to work with

Cons

Schedule does not work with continuing education

Feb 14, 2018 – Operations Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We understand all positions may not be conducive with pursuing higher education while in our employ. However, there have been several individuals that have accomplished... More

"BEWARE!!!!!"

I worked at Shapiro & Ingle full-time

Pros

-Its a job
    -You can tell your friends and family you are a "legal Assistant" (even though you are not)
    -The hiring ladies are friendly even though they dont tell you 100% of what the job entails
    -The elevator going to the floor Shapiro is on is snazzy
    -They have a refrigerator in the employees lounge, that's cool

Cons

For starters this is not an 8-5 or 9-6 job, at minimum, you will be working 10 to 12 hour days M-F and sometimes on the weekends. You get slammed with work that needs to be done at certain times of the day working as hard as you possible can to get out by 7 or 8pm, only to come back in earlier the next day to catch up on the work you didnt finish. The tasks are mundane, repetitive and boring, but you have to do them as fast as possible in order to get out before you have to come back in. Management preys on fresh college grads with weak resumes and useless college degrees thinking that they have to work there because no one else will hire them (not true). This jobs was one of the worst experiences of my life, you are glued to a desk doing mountains of mindless data entry for hours on end. I would not recommend to anyone.

Just thinking about the 3 weeks I worked at Shapiro give me a headache. If you are working at Shapiro and are questioning your very existence like I was, PLEASE get up and leave. That 14 dollars an hour isnt worth your happiness. I PROMISE you things will work out, YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

If you are a college grad, there are so many other jobs out there that wont make you hate the world and pay much more. Look at the rating, its 1.8 for a reason !!!!!!

Advice to Management

Since it seems that you guys are having trouble getting employees to stay I will offer some advice:

-Make the starting pay 16.50 and hour, you guys can afford it
    -Get your people out on time, there is nothing wrong with a little over time but 50 to 60 hours a week is way to much in that environment, limit it to 45
    -Loosen up on the rules. The job is life draining, dont make it any more difficult than it is
    -Promote a friendlier environment. People talk about each other behind their backs

Feb 12, 2018 – Operations Manager

We are always appreciative of feedback. However, the above review is suspect for multiple reasons. First, the salary quoted has been obsolete for well over two years. The current starting salary... More

"Worst company to work for"

Former Employee - Legal Assistant
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant

I worked at Shapiro & Ingle full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are absolutely no pros to this company. None.

Cons

"Shapiro & Ingle Response"
    *Not sure who wrote these responses, but no one that works at this firm is educated enough to write the responses that I've read. They have clearly hired someone to try and make it seem like it is these employees are just jaded. I guarantee you if you ask anyone that has ever worked for S&I, you will get the same response as all of these reviews. DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY

Advice to Management

Nothing really to say here. Management thinks they are superior to everyone that works here. Hard to give advise to narcissistic people.

Jan 18, 2018 – Operations Manager

Please see response dated January 10, 2018. We would renew the assertions stated previously. We do not believe a further detailed response is warranted to the above alleged review. We would... More

"RUN WHILE YOU CAN"

Former Employee - Title Examiner in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Title Examiner in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Shapiro & Ingle full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is not a single good reason to work here. There are goody powders in the vending machine; you’re going to need them!

Cons

Poor management, uneducated attorneys, 13 hour work days, unclear expectations, no consistency, crazy strict dress code, many cliques, and the turnover rate is ridiculous

Advice to Management

Go to college

Jan 10, 2018 – Operations Manager

We believe the above to be a fraudulent review. It is well known that attorneys must complete four years of undergraduate studies in addition to three years of law school. Thereafter, every... More