Share Our Strength Reviews | Glassdoor

Share Our Strength Reviews

Updated Nov 13, 2019

4.4
Share Our Strength CEO Bill Shore (no image)
Bill Shore
  1. "Best Place I've Ever Worked"

Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Share Our Strength full-time

Pros

I have the best job in the world. Powerful, mission-driven work with the kindest, smartest people I've ever worked with. Every day I feel so lucky to be a part of this phenomenal organization with so much integrity. It feels amazing to get up in the morning with the goal of helping to end childhood hunger. Leadership team is fantastic. So is the HR team - they really go above and beyond. My manager is wonderful and... I love my team. Great work/life balance with flexibility to work remotely as needed. It makes a huge difference in my personal life. We get a whole week off at Christmas, which is also GREAT.

Cons

Monetary compensation is disappointing, BUT that's not surprising given we're a DC non-profit that needs to be frugal and make sure the money is getting to kids/sustainable solutions to end childhood hunger. I appreciate that the organization is so fiscally responsible but would love to see the low pay off-set by even better benefits/perks. Current benefits are generally pretty good but it would mean a lot to see a... stronger maternity leave policy with more paid time off than just three months. 6 months maternity leave would be amazing, better align with our organizational values, and be much more competitive/attractive in a tight job market with unemployment at an all-time low. It would also help make up for the low pay. Once you hit the Senior Manager level, it seems to take many years before you get promoted (if at all), which is discouraging. But, again, if the benefits and work/life perks were amazing, it would be a trade-off I'd probably be totally fine making.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. You are so inspiring and your kindness/care is really appreciated. As mentioned above, it would be nice if the low pay could be offset by improved benefits like longer maternity leave, getting every Summer Friday off instead of every other Friday afternoon, longer sabbatical, etc. With all the studies coming out about increased productivity with a 4 day work week, it would also be interesting... to see that option piloted. To Leadership and HR: Thank you! It is a privilege to work at Share Our Strength and I'm grateful every day. You're doing a top-notch job and it's much appreciated.

Share Our Strength2019-11-13
  2. "Amazing staff!"

Current Employee - Development Coordinator

I have been working at Share Our Strength full-time

Pros

The most inclusive, welcoming staff. So many fun activities and bonding opportunities.

Cons

Hard to move up

Share Our Strength2019-11-04
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

4. "Great work environment"

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Share Our Strength full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The organization has a great culture and work environment. Colleagues are fun, work is challenging but manageable, and the environment is positive and fun. You won’t be expected to work late hours or be available by email after you leave the office. There are a lot of fun events and team building activities.

Cons

Too much free food in the office makes it hard for people trying to diet or lose weight! Also salaries are very transparent, and while they are typical for nonprofits, I don’t feel at times they match the level of work expected for some positions. Growth opportunities are at the complete discretion of your manager making a case to HR, and if not, you’re out of luck. Internal promotion is not preferred.

Share Our Strength2019-09-22

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Share Our Strength full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Inspiring leadership, ample professional development opportunities, great office, great location, fun culture, amazing co-workers

Cons

Typical non profit salary ranges

Share Our Strength2019-02-03

"Intern"

I worked at Share Our Strength

Pros

Easy going office and friendly staff

Cons

Bad for dieters because there is always food in the kitchen

Share Our Strength2018-07-26
  7. "Wonderful benefits"

I have been working at Share Our Strength full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work from home opportunities, great maternity leave plan, vacation builds over time

Cons

can be difficult to work remotely and progress in your role

Advice to Management

create clear advancement opportunities

Share Our Strength2018-03-13
  8. "I feel fortunate to work with so many amazingly talented colleagues"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Share Our Strength full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Commitment, idealism, innovation, collegiality, fun

Cons

ending childhood hunger is a formidable and daunting task

Share Our Strength2018-03-08

"Positive Place to Work"

I have been working at Share Our Strength full-time

Pros

Since starting at Share Our Strength I've had nothing but positive experiences. It's an open and collaborative environment and fun office. HR really works hard to invest in staff and I've been treated so with so much respect and kindness from managers. I feel proud to be a part of such amazing work that really makes a difference!

Cons

A lot of people feel that there is no direct career path or advancement. These opinions has been voiced to management already and I think they are already working to fix this.

Share Our Strength2018-02-07

"Nearly Perfect"

Current Employee - Middle Management

I have been working at Share Our Strength full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great entrepreneurial culture, exceptional benefits. Managers have high expectations and manage through positive means, not punitive.

Cons

I agree with earlier comments about favoritism and lack of clarity around promotions, but a new transparent compensation matrix has already helped manage the expectations of a young and ambitious staff.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to staff and show you care about continual improvement.

Share Our Strength2017-10-10
  11. "Great Culture"

I have been working at Share Our Strength full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very positive and purpose driven culture.

Cons

Career growth and development; workload

Share Our Strength2017-04-19