Share Our Strength Reviews | Glassdoor

Share Our Strength Reviews

Updated Nov 13, 2019

4.5
Share Our Strength CEO Bill Shore (no image)
Bill Shore

"Really great company with a good vibe"

I have been working at Share Our Strength

Pros

Very friendly staff, good benefits and good starting salary for out of college individuals.

Cons

Work can pile up and things can be unorganized, but overall pretty smooth environment

Share Our Strength2014-12-04
  2. "great place to start your career"

I worked at Share Our Strength full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits, play hard and work hard environment and good work life balance.

Cons

Raises and promotions are not always merit based. Certain teams are valued more than others and are given more opportunities to advance. As a result there is a high turnover rate, especially among lower level staff.

Advice to Management

Avoid picking favorites.

Share Our Strength2016-04-10

"Well Meaning Non-Profit with some Organizational Issues"

Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Share Our Strength full-time for more than a year

Pros

I should start this by saying I do not work at headquarters. Working in the field can be incredibly different (for better and for worse at times). Working in the field can be really rewarding because you end up with a lot of responsibility for managing many aspects of the programmatic side of No Kid Hungry work. You have to be a Jack-of-all-trades in the field, which is great for someone looking for experience and... starting out in their career. I have also found that the company seems to have a lot of integrity. From my view, the leadership is very well-meaning and genuinely wants to do good work. I will also say Share Our Strength really tries to recognize the value of employees and engaging their employees, even if they fall a little short sometimes. They clearly want to create a fun work environment and keep their millennial staff engaged.

Cons

Again, this is coming from the perspective of someone working outside of DC but from what I can tell, there are issues with operational efficiency that really impacts the overall management of programs and the work environment for employees. My onboarding experience left a lot to be desired, as an example and sort of started me off on a bad foot. While I understand what No Kid Hungry does, their structure can... sometimes seem...all over the place. There seems to be a retention issue as well, which means that field staff are constantly scrambling to keep up with everything going on at HQ and who sits where in the organization. As a result, our team has ended up being fairly self-sufficient. I think the majority of people on our team feel separate from the larger organization, which I think can be a problem. There's a general feeling that Share Our Strength can be overly "bureaucratic" in it's approach to things but I think that simply stems from the fact that there is a lack of clarity around processes and procedures. If you're considering a position located outside of HQ, I would just be prepared for lots of ambiguity. If you're in the interview process, really seek to understand what your work environment looks like and how you can be supported by staff at HQ. I've enjoyed my work, but if you're uncomfortable with ambiguity, this is a tough position.

Advice to Management

Frankly, I haven't been at headquarters to truly understand the issues there. I think there are lots of fun and exciting aspects about HQ that could attract young talent but to really retain your workers, focus on making sure your organization that is operationally sound and there is clarity around roles, processes, and procedures.

Share Our Strength2017-10-18
  4. "Youth Ambassador"

I have been working at Share Our Strength

Pros

Well structured program, hands on

Cons

Limited exposure to other parts of the org

Share Our Strength2017-08-01

"You will probably stay one to two years before leaving."

I worked at Share Our Strength

Pros

General culture of inspiring innovation and goodwill amongst colleagues, those committed to the cause are very friendly and helpful. PTO and benefits are well-rounded with 15 days vacation starting your second year, plus sick and personal time, and a comprehensive benefits package. Culture of the office is pretty laid-back, lax dress code, and in-office events.

Cons

Had a boom in success, over-hired, no room to grow unless someone leaves (which they will), or you get a promotion for little work, leaving most at the company perplexed. Politics and favoritism, keeping people on who are terrible managers but have been there ages, strong nepotism and ineffective people in important roles who are hard to get rid of (especially on the HR team, which is highly unprofessional and... dangerous), low pay, and without a doubt, someone will leave in any given month. Execs are either clueless due to pride or tunnel vision.

Advice to Management

Training courses for managers and execs with anonymous reviews of management for subordinates, listen to concerns and complaints and be vigilant about getting to the bottom of them. The way I've heard the organization described is more often than not as "a sinking ship." I hope they've made strides to rectify these issues because it was founded on great principles and a healthy culture.

Share Our Strength2016-06-06

"Great Place to Start"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Share Our Strength full-time

Pros

There is a lot of positive energy and many smart people that are great if you are an entry level professional. The organization is also doing a lot of different things, so if you can plug into an interesting project, then you will gain a variety of experiences.

Cons

There seems to be little oversight for those who manage entry level professionals, so investment in professional development, or even standardizing managerial procedures is lacking.

Advice to Management

Invest more in growing junior level staff by providing professional development opportunities, mentorship programs and sponsorship connections.

Share Our Strength2016-02-22

"Great people; don't start your career here."

Former Employee - Coordinator in Washington, DC

I worked at Share Our Strength full-time

Pros

Amazing people, important issue, amazing overarching ideal, conveniently located office, superb PTO policy.

Cons

Beauracracy, no career growth, too focused on virality, lack of structure, too reliant on corporate sponsors.

Advice to Management

Better promote and develop at the Coordinator, Associate and Manager level.

Share Our Strength2015-02-25
  8. "Don't do Americorps program with Share our Strength Denver office"

Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Denver, CO

I worked at Share Our Strength full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work with at risk kids/adults

Cons

Worked with horrible coworkers that were mean, micromanagers, and power hungry. The year was a joke. The organization wastes money and pays the AmeriCorps members nothing. They do programming for a lot of people that don't need it. I worked only 10% with the correct demographic that needed nutrition education. It's a very hostile environment, and wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Share Our Strength2018-03-04