Share Our Strength Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Washington, DC

4.1
Bill Shore

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Nonprofit, Great Cause"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Share Our Strength full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Smart, thoughtful people trying to do the right thing.

Cons

Congressional roadblocks and unfounded stereotypes have the ability to impede meaningful work.

"Favoritism"

Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Share Our Strength full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are really good compared to other nonprofits. Really great packages.

Cons

There is way too much favoritism at play when it comes to advancement and support behind initiatives.

Advice to Management

Be more consistent. Don't let favoritism be known.

3. "A transformative experience!"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Share Our Strength as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

An awesome work culture, great mission and excellent management made this a very special summer I won't forget. SOS is one of the most professional and well managed nonprofits I've seen in my life and have a talented rockstar team working on ending child hunger.

Cons

Intern pay is not much, but is to be expected and par for course. Organization is somewhat siloed, so most exposure is in-team.

"Wonderful Atmosphere for an Intern"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

I found the environment incredibly collaborative, open, and intellectually stimulating. Management is incredibly generous with its time and willing to take any and all suggestions, irrespective of the origin.

Cons

I don't have much to critique with regards to Share Our Strength's atmosphere. I have heard from veterans that there are occasionally a few breakdowns in communication, but not anything beyond what is standard amongst the majority of workplaces.

Advice to Management

Management is phenomenally generous with its time and very amenable to integrating you into new projects if you convey interest.

"Team No Kid Hungry"

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Share Our Strength (More than a year)

Pros

Great team to work with. Positive atmosphere and innovative culture.

Cons

Limited upward mobility. Rigid promotion/compensation guidelines that do not translate to compensation that is commiserate with performance and work-load.

"Great Place to Start"

I worked at Share Our Strength full-time

Pros

There is a lot of positive energy and many smart people that are great if you are an entry level professional. The organization is also doing a lot of different things, so if you can plug into an interesting project, then you will gain a variety of experiences.

Cons

There seems to be little oversight for those who manage entry level professionals, so investment in professional development, or even standardizing managerial procedures is lacking.

Advice to Management

Invest more in growing junior level staff by providing professional development opportunities, mentorship programs and sponsorship connections.

"Digital Communications Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Share Our Strength full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked on the communications team, and don't have one bad thing to say about it. The team is really positive, connected to the mission, and there is a decent amount of protection from the myriad of requests that come through the team. Pay is great, benefits are great, and the work/life balance is seriously encouraged.

Cons

As far as DC organizations go - Share Our Strength is very creative, but it's still a DC organization. At the end of the day, I think that the whole company could stand to embrace really creative and disruptive marketing a bit more. Usually it felt like ideas would get watered down between concept and execution. I also wish that we had a stronger personal connection with the advocates that supported our work. Messaging to specific groups of people is always more fun than messaging to the widest possible audience.

Advice to Management

You already embrace creativity - embrace it more. You also do a great job of catering to the companies that fund a vast majority of the work - now apply that same level of focus to the grass roots, so that the normal person walking down the street thinks of Share Our Strength as an organization supported by people - not corporations.

8. "The best place I've worked"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Share Our Strength is a fun, laid back, informal organization. They strive for creativity and think outside the box strategies. Benefits are great, open and colorful work envirnonment

Cons

There's not much growth potential

"Great people; don't start your career here."

Former Employee - Coordinator in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Washington, DC

I worked at Share Our Strength full-time

Pros

Amazing people, important issue, amazing overarching ideal, conveniently located office, superb PTO policy.

Cons

Beauracracy, no career growth, too focused on virality, lack of structure, too reliant on corporate sponsors.

Advice to Management

Better promote and develop at the Coordinator, Associate and Manager level.

"Fun place, good people"

Former Intern - Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Share Our Strength as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

There are Baking competitions and other pot-luck type meals on a pretty regular basis.
    It's a pretty open-door policy type office, they are all good people and mean well.

Cons

It can get a little slow, but then when it picks up the sky might seem like it's falling. But it comes in waves and during certain events over the year so it isn't all the time.

Advice to Management

None! (maybe pay interns more, pretty please?)