ShareBuilder Reviews | Glassdoor

Dan Greenshields

1. "Sales and Service"

Former Employee - Brokerage Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Brokerage Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at ShareBuilder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture and flexible scheduling. They will also help you attain your series 7 and 66.

Cons

You need to complete your series 7 and 66 to move up in the company. While the company will give you some time when you are close to your test to practice, the majority of the time tudying must be completed on your own time. You can knock it out quick and move up the ranks, or you can take years to complete it and will not advance.

Advice to Management

The team is great, and does a great job of helping the team progress.

2. "Former Security Officer For (Capital One) Sharebuilder"

Former Employee - Unarmed Security Officer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Unarmed Security Officer in Seattle, WA

I worked at ShareBuilder full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed working for this company as a front desk security, being able to help the employees and making sure the work environment is secured.

Cons

I worked as a front desk security officer for (Capital One) Sharebuilder for over two years, I'm always on time and ready to work or ready to help the employees and customers at Capital One, a lot of times I'll do would extra job as a security officer by delivering the mail to the employee desks because I’m a very helpful person in general, but recently I was accused of sleeping and not doing my job as a Security officer and was let go by Wade Horton a manager, Global Security from Capital one, a lot of time Wade Horton would randomly appear at the security desk without notifying any of the Security officers so he can randomly complain and overworked the Security officers or would have a valid reasons to get them removed from that location. I Would like to say I was overworked by Wade Horton as a security officer and was randomly accused of something I didn’t do.

Advice to Management

Advice to the Management please quit allowing Wade Horton to over working security officer at Sharebuilder.

3. "Depends on your team; it should be a lot better than it is"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at ShareBuilder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of good people to work with day-to-day; Capital One as a parent company seems great.

Cons

Low compensation - at least for my roll. WELL under market range. Management has undergone several changes in the last few years; my department felt rudderless and in a constant state of change (change is fine as long as there's a goal - but they just kept changing!). They have some long-standing, old-fashioned, ineffective management that can make life really difficult. It really depends on your team; unfortunately, even a great job can be ruined by a terrible manager.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people in the trenches - a large portion of mid-level management is unaccountable, ineffective, and making life very difficult for people trying to move up the chain, or who were brought in under the Capital One umbrella. Quite a few people need to either get on board with Capital One or move on.

4. "Excellent company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at ShareBuilder full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

ShareBuilder has always been an excellent company to work for - well-managed, interesting mission and excellent technology.

Cons

Now that it's owned by a much larger company, it's harder to get things done, especially now that Dan G has left.

5. "Strong culture and good benefits; became somewhat bureaucratic once acquired."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at ShareBuilder full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, culture, mission and values, team-oriented

Cons

Grew more bureaucratic after purchased by ING DIRECT and later Capital One; satellite office experience for senior managers working with colleagues in DE and VA.

Advice to Management

Keep the troops away from the DE/VA dynamics as much as possible

"Very positive team experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at ShareBuilder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very fast paced and intense. But the people care. Interesting online product experience. Great people. Good undervalued product.

Cons

Slowly being managed to death by parent company. If the president and senior leadership leave, as many have, the entrepreneurial spirit will die.

Advice to Management

Try and remain separate from the mothership while taking the best and leaving the paperwork and politics behind.

7. "ShareBuilder turning into Capital One on a slow trajectory, culturally speaking."

Current Employee - Customer Service Coordinator Builder in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Coordinator Builder in Seattle, WA

I have been working at ShareBuilder full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Orientation was awesome. They were starting up some awesome local diversity groups before my departure. Lots of opportunities to party for team building.

Cons

Culturally speaking, ShareBuilder is still acting like its self rather than its newest parent company Capital One. Prescriptions (that are reoccurring) have to be purchased from CVS; there is only one CVS in my state, and they screw up regularly. [yelp reviews showed shared many exacerbation examples, with this particular pharmacy.]
    Call center has horrible refreshment of their middle management, forcing entry level into going elsewhere or remaining stagnant.

8. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at ShareBuilder full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pros to working at ShareBuilder is that they truly seem to care about their employees. Great training and warm environment with great co-workers. Have special days where they play games or bring in food to make sure employees are happy.

Cons

Cons to working at ShareBuilder is that if you get labelled to soon it is hard to get past the label and move forward in the company. No other real cons to mention.

"A great place to start, but questionable for long term."

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at ShareBuilder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I loved working for ShareBuilder; when I started, the corporate culture was very inclusive and not too uptight, and it felt like anything was possible. Most of the people I've worked with have been great: supportive, friendly, and open. I felt like I mattered there and that the company wanted me to succeed. Under different circumstances, I could have stayed there a very long time.

Cons

In the current climate (following the Capital One acquisition) opportunities for advancement seem to have ground to a halt. There are few opportunities to move up in your department, or to move to others department. The spirit of opportunity and possibility has dried up.

Advice to Management

Make people feel like they matter again. Reward people for the work they do, instead of taking them for granted. Recognize that if you don't give your employees better reasons to stay with you, you are going to continue to lose them.

10. "A Formerly Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at ShareBuilder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is filled with excellent talent and really good people.

Cons

Being part of Capital One. Under Ing the benefits were excellent. Capital One has an inferior benefit package.

Advice to Management

For Capital One: stop trying to change the culture. For ShareBuilder: adapt to being a big company better.