Sharp HealthCare Registered Nurse Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Sharp HealthCare President & CEO Mike Murphy
Mike Murphy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • From the top down they focus on work/life balance (in 11 reviews)

• promotes w/in organization; great benefits; decent salary; HR dept has a sense of pride working for the organization (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • The CEO took forever to begin paying employees a fair rate for san diego (in 13 reviews)

• Upper Management treatment of RN staff in the recent contract negotiations in 2016 (in 12 reviews)

1. "Decent company"

Current Employee - Staff RN in Chula Vista, CA
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Chula Vista, CA

I have been working at Sharp HealthCare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great support staff ratios, i.e. CNA's, RT's, phlebotomists etc.

Cons

pay and benefits are not as competitive as other hospital systems in area

Jul 31, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Team

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience as an RN with Sharp.

"Registered Nurse"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Chula Vista, CA

I have been working at Sharp HealthCare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hires a lot of New Grads fresh out of school, some members of management very friendly and approachable

Cons

Pay is on the low end of what RN's in this area can anticipate making, healthcare/dental benefits are mediocre at best, little to no opportunities to conduct or participate in research, workload assignments and demands not always fair, management unsupportive of nurse expectations, needs and desires

Advice to Management

Nurses are the backbone of any healthcare institution, take care of the nurses and your organization will flourish.

"Awesome nurses and doctors, very caring."

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Chula Vista, CA

I have been working at Sharp HealthCare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great staff, someone always there to lend a hand if you have questions. Everyone works together to provide a quality hospital stay for the patients.

Cons

No pension plan, lower paying than ucsd. The CEO took forever to begin paying employees a fair rate for san diego. Lots of nurses leave for other hospitals

Aug 3, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Team

Since we spend so many hours at work it is important to enjoy working with your colleagues. It sounds like you work with a supportive team that is dedicated to providing the best service possible... More

4. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Sharp HealthCare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Love the coworkers and management and patients.

Cons

Slightly lower pay than most other major hospitals in San Diego

5. "Nurse RN"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Sharp HealthCare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Because so many people are constantly leaving to go to employers who pay better, have better retirement plans, and better employee benefits there are positions opening up consistently. Which gives you the possibility of advancement.

Cons

They do not support their nurses. They have terrible benefits. They fire you after your 7th sick call. They do not come close to the benefits offered by any other healthcare systems in San Diego.

Advice to Management

Support your Nurses. Stop talking about supporting your nurses and actually support them. Change your attendance policy to reflect other healthcare systems policies. Stop creating an adversarial environment between management and nurses. Get over the fact that the nurses unionized to protect themselves. Treat your nurses with more respect. If you treated your nurses a tenth of the way you treat your Doctors then they would be happy.

"RN"

Current Employee - RN, Bsn in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - RN, Bsn in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sharp HealthCare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

RN staff supported. Sharp provides numerous support staff to assist bedside RN's. Diabetic NP's, Cardiac NP's, Stoke CNs's, Rapid Response teams, Wound Rn's, PICC/IV RN teams, Infection Control RN's, Lactation RN's and educators. Palliative care RN's , case management, social services, discharge planners, nursing assistants, lift and mobility teams, nutrition assistants, RN IT support staff, RT, PT and pharmacists that round on patients.You are never alone and always have support and the team work is what keeps us all here.

Cons

Bed capacity is somewhat of an issue and patients wait times can be difficult.

Advice to Management

Please continue to hire qualified and caring staff.

Mar 30, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Team

Glad to hear that you feel supported in your role. It sounds like you have a great team working along side you! Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feedback!

"RN"

Current Employee - Staff RN in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Staff RN in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sharp HealthCare part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

steady employment, emphasis on behavioral standards, fair to excellent RN-physician communication. reasonable fairness in terms of coaching and disciplining of RNs.

Cons

Limited opportunities to advance within the system for RNs into management. They have a "lead" position" which is like a charge nurse, but even with qualifications, experience, and skills, once a nurse works as staff, it is difficult to make a jump into administration.

Advice to Management

Utilize direct care clinicians for change projects.

"Review of RN position"

Former Employee - Staff RN in Chula Vista, CA
    Former Employee - Staff RN in Chula Vista, CA

I worked at Sharp HealthCare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoyed the team environment. The main reason I stayed in my former position so long was because I liked my coworkers. There was a strong referral network and the majority of the doctors were friendly and competent. I liked that Sharp is typically on the cutting edge with technology tool

Cons

The pay scale compared to other facilities is low. I eventually left for a higher paying job at Scripps. They also require a lot more re-education and re-certification courses than many other hospital systems.

Advice to Management

Reward employees for a job well done and pay them competitively. Do not require a safe patient mobilization class every year that is 4 hours long.

Dec 27, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Team

Thank you for your years of service with Sharp Healthcare and for taking the time to provide your feedback. We spend so much time at work so to work with people that you like is very important... More

"Registered Nurse SRS Urgent Care"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Rancho Bernardo, CA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Rancho Bernardo, CA

I have been working at Sharp HealthCare part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

We are always staffed appropriately with all the tools to do my job and to do it well. We all get our 10 minute and 30 minutes breaks always someone to cover for you. There is no scrounging around for supplies, a helping hand, or fighting for a computer terminal. Although the current staff feels that the building we are in is old, compared to the places I used to work its quite alright but excited for our move to our shiny building. Management is engaged does things the right way instead of trying to take the easy or most profitable way.

Cons

Rarely but the patients can be a little bit demanding or entitled. I can appreciate a 30 minute wait to see a highly skilled healthcare professional and we really do our best to get the patients to a healthcare provider quickly but sometimes the patients and their family members can be rude to staff. Although we bend over backwards there are other patients who have emergencies and the staff must tend to the sicker patients first our apologies.

Advice to Management

Please do not lose sight doing right for the patients, employees, and keep the focus on quality patient care. Sharp is a truly unique organization the best I have worked for in my career as an RN. I know that the SRS prefers to hirer PA's vs NP's but give a few more of them a shot in the medical practices, and in the hospital I believe APRNs would be asset to the organization. Pay for RN's is a little bit low but I think the positive working environment more than makes up for it.

Dec 7, 2016 – Talent Aquisition Team

Thank you for taking the time out to write such a detailed review. We truly appreciate your thoughtfulness. We’re so happy to hear that there is such teamwork with your fellow colleagues and you... More

"Potential trife"

I have been working at Sharp HealthCare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great staff to work with.

Cons

PAY is up to 20.00 below other hospitals in San Diego.

Advice to Management

PAY nurses what they are worth.

Jan 4, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Team

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your employment with Sharp Healthcare, and we're happy to hear you enjoy working with your co-workers. We would like to take this... More