Sharp HealthCare Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sharp HealthCare President & CEO Mike Murphy
Mike Murphy

Pros
  • Great upper management and work life balance (in 9 reviews)

• promotes w/in organization; great benefits; decent salary; HR dept has a sense of pride working for the organization (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management treatment of RN staff in the recent contract negotiations in 2016 (in 12 reviews)

• limited to one region in the country (San Diego) (in 10 reviews)

"The Sharp Experience in FMD"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Solana Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Solana Beach, CA

I have been working at Sharp HealthCare (More than a year)

Pros

great healthcare benefits and minimal cost for family.

Cons

Low paying. Division manager is autocratic demagogue

Advice to Management

stay in the boundries.

"No work-life balance"

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in San Diego, CA

I worked at Sharp HealthCare (More than a year)

Pros

This is only for the IT side of Sharp. I cannot speak to what the work environment is like for Nurses and Doctors.

Benefits: This is probably the highlights of working here. The benefits are supposed to be GREAT!! But they are slightly better than average. For example: You earn more than the average vacation hrs per pay period… but that’s because when it’s a holiday, YOU have to use your PTO hrs to pay yourself for that holiday. Hmmm not sure a great deal after all. I had opted for Sharps own health plan, because it is the best for my needs. But even with their own plan, for their own employees, I still payed more for co-pay and other deductible than I have paid in the past for other companies. I must say though, if you are lucky, you might negotiate yourself a job that pays above the average, which is hard to beat. Also there is some overtime when there is lots of work. I have not earned a lot of overtime due to the nature of my work but I hear some people really make use of it when they can and it’s a nice little bonus. Which brings to the annual bonus comments; based on your hours worked in the year, there is a bonus around end of the year, anywhere from $150 to $500, which is not bad considering most companies don’t give anything.

Cons

Timesheet: The biggest change for me was adapting to a clock-in clock-out system, yes like back in the days where you had to punch your time card. In my past 5 companies, this was unheard of, there are some time tracking tools, but no actual punch in and punch out rules. In my department, at least (not sure about companywide), everyone has to work 8 hours a day minimum… even when you have worked overtime in other days. So for example, you have worked your 40 hours a week around 3PM on Friday and you want to leave early… YOU CAN’T!!! You have to stay and work your 8 Hr day on Friday and leave when you have completed 8 hours. So you will NOT be leaving early… EVER! The only time you are allowed to leave early is when you have, with enough notice, requested to take PTO (Paid Time Off) from your boss. This is weird right!! You have to take your vacation time to complete the 8 hrs rule, so that you they can turn around and pay you back. This may be of some benefits if you want to get paid the OT but sometimes you just want to go home and see your family after a long week.
    Culture: “The best place to work” is the part of the core values that is preached all year long in everything you read. I really think that for the most part, the company does a good job at this. I go to some Hospitals and people seem happy, they have nice cafeterias, they exercise.... but not for the IT Department. You see, the IT Dept. office space is located at a warehouse building on Ruffin Rd. and it is very different than the rest of the company. There are no gyms nearby, there are no restaurants nearby, and there is no cafeteria on-site like most hospital and headquarters. The snack machines and soda machines are super expensive too!! So eating healthy is going to mean you bring in food, or you take more than 30 min lunch, which also means having to stay longer to make up the time to complete your 8 hr shift. The company promotes lots of health and fitness activities but they are pretty much on your own time. So if you attend an event from Sharp you either have to use your vacation time, or they are usually on the weekends. Team outings are pretty much non-existent. No team appreciation lunch or Christmas dinners or nothing of the kind. If you get along with your co-working you can schedule some time for lunches or dinners, of course none of this on company time. Something else I feel I have to mention: The Yearly Expo Event. This is a multimillion event that Sharp hosts at the convention center. They literally bus everyone employee from all different hospital to the convention center. There are snack and a nice (useless) little pin that you get as a gift. The presentation is pretty much an opportunity for top management (CEO and CIO etc) to have some fun doing their company movies that they show during this event. I must say though, the guest speakers are great, they are real patients that have undergone some major life changing events where Sharp was there to help them. I loved that part. I don’t know that they need to spend multi millions of dollars on this event though… just saying… my company mug was nice, but maybe a team lunch would be nice too.

Advice to Management

Spend some of that investment back into your employees equally not just special hospital or headquarters

"Departments are clicky, will not like you if not a part of their click"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Sharp HealthCare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good HealthCare Benefits, Okay pay.

Cons

Departments are clicky, will not like you if not a part of their click. Supervisors and managers are adversarial and will tend to say positive things about you to your face, and then do the opposite away from you; will terminate you if they just don't like you for no reason.

Advice to Management

Remove people who are clicky; they do not promote a good work enviroment.

"Radiologic Technologist II"

Current Employee - Radiologic Technologist II in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Radiologic Technologist II in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sharp HealthCare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to get experience

Cons

Management is grossly under qualified; they never seem to know how to support their staff

Advice to Management

Value the employee as an asset instead of a problem

"Management is dirty"

Current Contractor - CNA in San Diego, CA
    Current Contractor - CNA in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sharp HealthCare as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Pay their CNAs well, better than most of the large hospitals in the area. A good opportunity and reputable name.

Cons

Management only cares about money. They treat their employees like crap, they're sneaky and don't care about anything but the budget and how big their bonus checks are going to be. Patient safety is at the bottom of their list of concerns, though they try really hard to make it look like that's their top priority. Every department is complaining of the same issues, management is totally corrupt.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect and stop being fake and greedy.

"The 7 year itch..."

Former Employee - IT Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - IT Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Sharp HealthCare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

*Dedication to providing healthcare
    *Health Benefits
    *Pay
    *Work was like playing Wack-A-Mole on crack. Days flew by!

Pay was awesome and often worked overtime! Coworkers were more like family. When I decided to go it was painful to see the sad faces

Cons

*Seems like I.T. departments don't communicate well
    *Frankenstein interfaces / applications to assist others require intense training
    *Promotion / Department move Blocking
    *Doing whatever just to make some stupid "Most Wired" List.
    *Sacrificial new hires to please other departments / Corporate Entities

With my 7 years with sharp I've seen many things from great to down right wrong! While working there I had my eyes on other departments and possible management. After 2 years I started looking outside my department. I saw a few opportunities and decided to tackle them head on. After 2 more years and getting denied over and over I was getting discouraged. I then received an email from someone in that department informing that his manager wanted to hire me but my manager was blocking it from happening. I then started to look closer at my manager and how the department was run... I was not pleased. It seems like My manager would take the knife out of her/his back only to stick it in someone else's. Rinse and Repeat

Sharp needs to honestly Fix the internals and stop worrying about the "Most Wired" list. It also keeps cramming that its the best place to work down our throats. Just stop already. If it actually took those "anonymous" reviews seriously then it would know that ALOT of people don't see it that way. Now I'm not saying that everyone thinks this. I know a lot of people love sharp and I once did as well but after time and time of disappointments with advancement I knew not to ask.

Also watch out for managers with "Power Trips". For some reason when you bring an issue to their attention they feel threatened and begin to flex their "Phenomenal Cosmic (Departmental) Power as if they were a mini God. Allowing nothing to get in the way with their Position at sharp thus causing Back Stabs or "Missing emails". Even though I had it on my drive and Printed out it was irrelevant due to it being missing on the exchange server... Hmmmmm really?

False rumors spread like wild fire drenched with a mixture of kerosene and gasoline. Mass efforts AND strategies needed to be utilized just to stop them. Entire departments need to stop and have meetings just to address this causing major loss in productivity over petty issues like this. When When brought to HRs attention the outcome will depend on this algorithm.
    (Issue + HRs Attitude x people affected / Manager relations with HR = "Don't Care")
    It seems like they care more for itself (sharp) than the employees it employs

Corporate entities Sons, Daughters, Husbands and wives are employed into departments with little to no knowledge of subject matter. They only do this to get on the "Good Sides" of related Corporate Entities. This became an issue when Work flow was discussed and "Person" couldn't gasp ones head around IT logical thinking impeding momentum proving knowledge incompetence

I do not approve of a CEO that I have never seen, I was told that he regularly visits but he never did for 7 years... I guess he doesn't have time for us peasants. Keep signing those Pillars!

Advice to Management

When someone is calling for help, please listen and take notice... it does not take that much time and effort and you could save a life (employee not patient)...

8. "Nurse Clinical Supervisor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Mesa, CA

I worked at Sharp HealthCare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leadership educational opportunities are very good. Quarterly leadership meetings are entertaining. Health benefits very inexpensive, but it is HMO and choice is limited.

Cons

Management incompetent, which is reflected in the level of care produced by staff. Surgical services at Grossmont particularly dysfunctional. The department is very poorly run. Director has very little experience and is threatened by those who are competent, so good people don't stay.

Advice to Management

Leadership at all levels should be examined and changed in many cases. Chula Vista location seems to have the best leadership. The other locations should study them.

"Device Deployment Specialist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

Nice people to work with ! Job was boring :(

Cons

They will ask you to leave early if they have nothing for you to do, you WILL NOT get a full 40hrs

3572 Corporate Court, San Diego, CA 92123 San Diego CA, 92123

"Very misleading corporation."

Former Employee - Information Systems in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Information Systems in San Diego, CA

I worked at Sharp HealthCare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The health benefits and the care you receive from the sharp Doctors are very good.

Cons

I worked at sharp well over ten years and if your not part of management your screwed.

Advice to Management

Sharp is not the best place to work, as per your motto. Your normal everyday workers are being victimized, bullied and are afraid to say anything about it,fear of repercussions. Upper management needs to hold lower management to a higher standard. Human Resources needs to be re-orged due to them being hopeless. .

"Depends on unit"

Former Employee - RN - in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - RN - in San Diego, CA

I worked at Sharp HealthCare full-time

Pros

Other staff. Benefits. Making a difference in the lives of patients.

Cons

Leadership on some units are backstabbing one another to get ahead...very unprofessional.

Advice to Management

Do what is right for the patients, not yourselves.