Shasta County Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Love My Job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shasta, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shasta, CA

I have been working at Shasta County full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Get to do meaningful work and be appreciated every day I go to work. Help people find and keep employment.

Cons

Have to work under government regulations that don't always make sense. Sometimes people who you serve don't appreciate the opportunity the program offers. There is politics in the workplace .

2. "Great place once they fix some issues"

I have been working at Shasta County full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ok benefits. Some really great and helpful staff. Spontaneity. If you are accepted into the "in" crowd you get the family at work and support. Plenty of room for growth and promotion.

Cons

Lack of training with high expectations. High staff turnover. Unaddressed racial tensions. No overtime available nor an option for a different schedule such as 4 10 hrs shifts.

"County"

I have been working at Shasta County full-time

Pros

Safe, secure, position; easy job; some potential for promotion

Cons

Long time between raises and wage caps on positions

4. "bad morale in some departments"

Current Employee - Program Assistant in Redding, CA
    Current Employee - Program Assistant in Redding, CA

I have been working at Shasta County full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A paycheck with benefits is great

Cons

One of my first required county wide trainings was an eye opener as coworkers from various departments shared their disgust with disrespectful managers. My own manager was not remotely qualified for her job lacking the education and skills to do quality work. She micromanaged her staff into quitting, or hating their work. She got promoted for that and this seems to be how the county rewards arrogance and incompetence. Arrogance is the operative word when dealing with management.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and realize there is a morale issue that could be improved if you provided any indication that you cared for your staff's career and well-being

"Another Government Clone"

Current Employee - Cog In the Wheel in Redding, CA
    Current Employee - Cog In the Wheel in Redding, CA

I have been working at Shasta County full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Being a government job its a secure postion and there is opportunity for advancement if you fit in and know what you are doing.

Cons

Very Clicky, government is adverse to change and runs at a snails pace which makes innovation and change very difficult. Government is risk-adverse and employees are afraid of making mistake and there is alot of CYA going on or blaming somone else. Morale is not very good.

Advice to Management

Wow! Where do I start....Communication is not very good between upper management and those below so they need to fix that. Also Managment should help with morale bring inspiration to the work place tell people they are doing a good job make it a place where people want to go to work not just some 9 to 5 job where you collect a paycheck. Where there is a lack of vision the people perish. Alot of employees are adverse to taking the lead or promoting a new idea as that is not enouraged within managment. There is alot of dead weight in the lower job functions as well but thats another question.

6. "OK"

Current Employee - Ew2 in Redding, CA
    Current Employee - Ew2 in Redding, CA

I have been working at Shasta County full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good job, nice people to work with

Cons

not good benefits, cost too much

Advice to Management

lessen the cost of benefits, give cost of living raise

"Lots of favoritism, seniority is never considered"

Current Employee - Social Worker II in Redding, CA
    Current Employee - Social Worker II in Redding, CA

Pros

It is one of the top paying organizations in this area,

Cons

They are not supportive of line staff, two many superviors with large salaries who do little

Advice to Management

Restore the money and benefits taken from the line staff, 6 percent of pay, required to pay our retirement in full whereas county paid in past, these deductions were suppose to be temporary now they are permanent, Quit hiring positions that are high salary, we have way to many supervisors. Recongize senority not who socializes better with management, get rid of the good ol boys network and their power and control. Lets become like most counties professional and to serve the people, not themselves.

8. "Public Works is a good Department"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redding, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redding, CA

Pros

The work has been interesting, the opportunities good, management is receptive to ideas and concerns and within the Department there is a very positive work environment.

Cons

It is government so don't go in thinking you will change everything. Understand that government agencies must function differently from private firms. Take the not so good with the good and understand that things could be so much worse.

Advice to Management

Within my Department I am very satisfied. I have heard some dissatisfaction from other Departments, but I can't speak to that.