Shaw Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Shaw Communications CEO Bradley S. Shaw
Bradley S. Shaw

Pros
Cons
  • work/life balance is probably the poorest of any company I have worked for (in 16 reviews)

• Still suffers from typical call center complaints from customers (in 15 reviews)

1. "Work experience"

Pros

- good people, culture, benefits

Cons

clique culture, lots of red tape

2. "Great."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative, Billing in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Shaw Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good management...rotating shifts...commission on the sales you make. Great people to work with who are always willing to trade shifts if you wants early start.

Cons

Shift work and working on weekends. Some customers are not nice on the phones. Some products are not easy to sale eg home phones especially in this era. And yet there is an expectation of selling that product

3. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Pros

Great people, beautiful office environment ,flexible work hours, amazing Christmas party, great benefit,good employee package for all Shaw services.

Cons

Minimum bonus and minimum raise. Not a place where it is possible to grow fast in career. Very difficult to get promoted.

Advice to Management

Arrange more training programs and create more opportunities for the employee to learn different aspects of the business. Bonus and raise need improvement.

5. "Admin"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Pros

Fun workplace, flexible, great corporate culture

Cons

Could get catty, lack of structure at times

6. "Finance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Shaw Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Company focuses on employee happiness and a perfect work life balance

Cons

I discussed an issue with my VP who was one step above my manager because my issue was with my manager. I was scolded and told to never go above the manager. Kind of difficult when the manager is the issue. The open door policy is not realistic. Go to HR, they support managers and above not the front line people

Advice to Management

Actually have an open door policy.

7. "TSR"

I worked at Shaw Communications full-time

Pros

Great people to work with.Overall great company.

Cons

Little struggle to get leave or vacation.

Advice to Management

Overall Great but could be more better if Employee Performance is Recognized from time to time as that keeps motivating the employees..

8. "HR Training Specialist"

Current Employee - Human Resources Training Specialist in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Shaw Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Great people, excellent benefits, good flexible vacation time, lots of career opportunities

Cons

- Some cross-departmental silos exist, with a big opportunity for departments and groups to work better together - standard issue in larger organizations

Advice to Management

- Have begun to knock down silos and walls, however, some definitely still do exist - need to continue to work towards full organizational cohesion

9. "An Ambitious Company with Good Leaders Who Are Far and Few in Between"

I have been working at Shaw Communications full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The benefits are outstanding compared to many corporate employers in Canada. There's great opportunities if you're not bound to location. Who doesn't want to work for a company who believes in keeping jobs within our borders? If there's one thing I love, it's that Shaw invests heavily in keeping our jobs here within Canada. Sure, there's cut backs, but what large organization hasn't had to rethink how they're doing business? The point is, Shaw employs those on Canadian soil, and takes immense pride in what they do good and own up to what they don't do very well.

Cons

The smaller locations face challenges that HR may not be aware of. Racism is rampant, hiring practices are questionable, and the company protects those who are unfit to work in an environment with other individuals. In other words, the company protects those who aren't team players, drop their basket of eggs literally on a daily basis, and local leadership does NOTHING to address the impact that sort of behavior has on the rest who have to work in that environment. Smaller locations do not have as many opportunities for advancement as major centre's like: Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, etc....

Advice to Management

Not all jobs need to be out of Calgary, or Vancouver. You have no problem arranging Webex sessions, or conference calls. Why not encourage departments to consider remote employment as a viable option for equal opportunities.
    A handful of amazing leadership is a terrible statistic. Out of a small office who has 4-5 leaders, and you can't trust 4 of them, and the fifth one you wonder half the time if they'd not really deal with the issues at hand, is a pretty sad state of affairs. My immediate supervisor and department manager are amazing and caring, but what's a person to do when their environment sucks and can't trust that the right decisions/actions are being made.

10. "Technical Support Representative"

Former Employee - Technical Support Representative in Victoria, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Technical Support Representative in Victoria, BC (Canada)

I worked at Shaw Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent benefit package.
    Pay is reasonable, although starting wages have dropped in the last year or two.
    Great family oriented culture.

Cons

Performance metrics make little sense for the role.
    Products and services don't seem to get enough testing before being rolled out, which makes the job of TSR that much more difficult.
    The company has done a poor job of ensuring we can provide the services we sell prior to offering them. For example, we dealt with crippling network saturation for both upstream and downstream internet service during my time there.
    Little or no communication from Operations teams.
    Specialization of centres has led to fewer job options in many locations. For example, Victoria now has little or no path for those with a technical background.

Advice to Management

Work on communication paths between department, particularly those that deal with technical issues and TSRs.

11. "Good benefits"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Shaw Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You will recieve a good health benefits when working with shaw. The opportunity to grow is very open to those who are looking for advancement/ change of career,.

Cons

Job stability. Shaw had multiple lay-off history which can be really deprimental to those who are looking for stable income.