Shaw Industries Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Shaw Industries CEO Vance D. Bell
Vance D. Bell

Pros
Cons
  • Hard to have a life or do anything outside of work when you seem to constantly be working 6 and 7 day weeks with some 12 hour shifts as well (in 7 reviews)

• The upper management group does not give the support that they preach (in 11 reviews)

1. "fell very unappreciated"

Current Employee - Twisting Operator in Andalusia, AL
    Current Employee - Twisting Operator in Andalusia, AL

I have been working at Shaw Industries full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

7 days off in a row. some supervisors are ok

Cons

shift work, swing shift, underpaid, unappreciated, insurance is a joke! they don't listen to how the employees feel. no consistent accountability for those that do not do their jobs correctly. no copay for insurance, you have to pay deductible up front

Advice to Management

get everybody on the same page across the house. don't be afraid to terminate those who do not perform to Shaw's supposedly high standard. go back to making the trainees start at a lower pay and work their way up to top pay. If they start out at the top they have no initiative to give their all and improve. why should they? they already make top pay..

"I don't like it"

Current Employee - Material Handler
    Current Employee - Material Handler

I have been working at Shaw Industries full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None whatsoever. Job is horrible I hate this place and especially the people. The machines never work and they expect us to make the best of it

Cons

Pay, work is physically demanding and they treat there workers like crap. Insurance sucks

Advice to Management

Stop being lazy

"It's who you know"

Former Employee - Process Engineer in Dalton, GA
    Former Employee - Process Engineer in Dalton, GA

I worked at Shaw Industries full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you know the right person(s) you CAN NOT be fired. If you thrive in a dysfunctional, political environment, you should do well.

Cons

Advancement at Shaw is 100% who you are buddies with. Promotions are 0% merit based. The managers are clueless, the environment is toxic and dysfunctional, and the employee disengagement is rampant. Every company has politics, but at Shaw, it is overpowering.

If you have an Engineering degree, do yourself a favor and go elsewhere. Hard work and competence count for nothing. Eventually some clueless Department or Plant Manager will throw you under the bus to cover their ineptitude. If you happen to last more than 10 years, you will be forced out and replaced by some clueless kid out of college. That is the business model in manufacturing.

The same managers who preach working long hours (with no extra pay) "fer the good of the kumpny", are the same people who straggle in at 8:30 and leave at 4:45 and say "I was at a meetin."

This place does not deserve your talents. Unless you have no other options, go elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Despite the PR and shameless Facebook posts, no one is really buying the "8th best company to work for" line.

"In 23 years of working the worst employer ever"

Former Employee - College Co-Op in Dalton, GA
    Former Employee - College Co-Op in Dalton, GA

Pros

Competitive wages. The appearance of the work environment looks nice. On site cafeteria serves good food at good prices. There are some good managers at this company, unfortunately there are too many bad apples. Work hours are pretty standard Monday through Friday so it makes well for having a life. I hear the standard benefit package is okay, Co-Ops don't get benefits even though they are full-time employees.

Cons

The most unprofessional treatment of management I have ever experienced in 23 years of working. I actually convinced an acquaintance in my graduating class not to take an offer they made her before graduating myself due to the treatment I experienced from management while I worked there as a Co-Op. I can't speak for their individual factory locations only that the environment of working in corporate headquarters IT was the worst treatment I have ever experienced. Example: being blamed for work environment disruptions I have nothing to do with even though the said disruptions also disrupted my daily work flows.

Advice to Management

Your mid and lower management is hurting your company. It's time to clean house.

6. "Could be ok"

Pros

Shift premium made it worthwhile to stay as long as i did.

Cons

high stress, poor management, good ol boy club, lack of innovation...unfortunately, if you live in the area there's really not much to choose from

Advice to Management

Think outside of the carpet roll

"Worst place I have ever worked"

Former Employee - Extrusion Operator in Central, SC
    Former Employee - Extrusion Operator in Central, SC

I worked at Shaw Industries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The swing shift I was on was set up to where you always got a week off every month

Cons

The people here would lie about you to the manager just so that it makes them look better. When I started there and that mess started I was wondering if I had went back to high school it was literally that bad. They say that they care about safety, but when they tried to enforce that employees must wear gloves. It was shut down because there were employees running to HR because they felt like they felt like they could do their job better being unsafe. The whole 12 hour shift is you sitting there waiting for a spool of thread to pop out of a machine so that you can package it. If you try to read something or play a game on your phone they will wright you up. Unless you are certain people who are real good with the shift supervisor. Then you can get away with anything. Also they screw you out of pay. You work 36 hours one week and 44 hours the next. They say that they have built in overtime when you work night shift so that they don't have to pay you over time when you go over 40 hours, but it never adds up to what it is suppose to be. I was so depressed here I actually considered killing myself.

Advice to Management

Get your crap straight

8. "lift truck operator"

Former Employee - Lift Truck Operator in Dalton, GA
    Former Employee - Lift Truck Operator in Dalton, GA

I worked at Shaw Industries full-time

Pros

caring people an great work enviroment

Cons

working sunday nights is rough

"Bad Management"

Former Employee - Department Manager in Calhoun, GA
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Calhoun, GA

I worked at Shaw Industries (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good training programs; some great, talented people; good IT support; plenty of help from corporate as they are extremely top-heavy.

Cons

Horrible upper management. Break the backs of really hard working managers who actually produce results and then replace them with smooth-talking, elbow-rubbing pompous blowhards who are "yes" men.

Nepotism and favoritism is a problem here. You are in the circle or you are out...not based on talent but who you are related to or go to church with (who knows?).

Advice to Management

Wake up and listen to the people who KNOW the business and not to the morons who act like they know and are always telling you "yes". Sometimes the perceptions of your directors are not reality, and some of them are quite shady. They honestly have an inability to see the worth in good/talented people.

You are going to continue to lose good people and they will be gobbled up by the competition who will continue to take market share.

"Shaw Production"

Current Employee - Instructor/Training Department in Dozier, AL
    Current Employee - Instructor/Training Department in Dozier, AL

I have been working at Shaw Industries (More than 10 years)

Pros

Upper management and sales seem the place to be

Cons

Factory/production positions are the worst. Benefits slashed, no cost of living increases in 2 years. High insurance rates. Seniority and experience are not valued. Cliques and good ole boy syndrome in force.

Advice to Management

Happy employees are productive employees.

"Process Improvement Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at Shaw Industries (More than a year)

Pros

There aren't many pros. It's a stable job

Cons

Poor Communication, Poor pay vs similar opportunities, political