Shaw Industries Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Shaw Industries CEO Vance D. Bell
Vance D. Bell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The working environment is great, and there is a good work/life balance (in 17 reviews)

• It is a large organization with good pay and benefits (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management group does not give the support that they preach (in 12 reviews)

• No room for advancement in furthering your career (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"20 Year Anniversary"

Current Employee - Corporate Trainer
    Current Employee - Corporate Trainer

I have been working at Shaw Industries full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have just celebrated my 20th Anniversary with Shaw Industries. In my time with the organization I have found that Shaw values thier people, they invest in our development and provide growth opportunities. It is a large organization but the culture is more like a small family business. It's a great place to work

Cons

Slow to change with limited growth opportunities in current role.

Jul 10, 2017

Congratulations on your anniversary! It means so much to hear you're happy with your experience, and we're certainly glad to have you onboard! As a trainer, your work is crucial to advancing our... More

2. "Great work ethics always win in the end"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Rydal, GA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Rydal, GA

I have been working at Shaw Industries full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work and grow

Cons

Too many jobs to choose ftom

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

Jan 17, 2018

Thank you for leaving us such a great review! We're glad you feel that you're learning, growing and are supported. If you feel like there are many opportunities calling your name, ask your manager... More

3. "Shaw Industries provides an excellent working environment."

I have been working at Shaw Industries full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The working environment is great, and there is a good work/life balance.

Cons

Being so large, sometimes inter-departmental communication can be minimal, sometimes causing dulpicate efforts by more than one department .

Advice to Management

Stay connected to associates.

Jan 15, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave us this review! We are so happy to hear that you're satisfied with your experience at Shaw, including the work-life balance, and we hope that continues. Thanks... More

4. "Engineering Co-Op"

Current Intern - Engineering Co-Op in Dalton, GA
    Current Intern - Engineering Co-Op in Dalton, GA

I have been working at Shaw Industries as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Great company culture and established processes

Cons

Most plants are in Dalton.

5. "Great company to work for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Shaw Industries full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This is one company that says they're employee-friendly & means it! Even when difficult decisions have to be made, management is always considering the effects on the employees.

Cons

Charlotte plant closed down, otherwise I would still be working there

Nov 29, 2017

Thank you so much for this great review! We are so glad to hear you felt valued as an associate because we put them first in everything we do. Best of luck, and we hope our paths cross again soon!

6. "Shaw Industries from Account Manager's Perspective"

Current Employee - Account in Concord, NH
    Current Employee - Account in Concord, NH

I have been working at Shaw Industries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good training, industry leader, good upside potential, terrific perks and benefits, competitive pay, fleet vehicles,

Cons

This is definitely not a mom and pop, so you need to be comfortable being one of many and having a limited, if any, view of the company's direction on many issues.

Advice to Management

Becoming a Shaw field sales employee is an arduous process, and there is less coordination and more disconnect between our training and our regional management than is helpful, specifically regarding systems issues.

7. "Shaw is a great company to work for in the industry."

Current Employee - Saw Operator in Stuart, VA
    Current Employee - Saw Operator in Stuart, VA

I have been working at Shaw Industries full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Shaw is one of the first employers I have worked for and actually enjoyed in a manufacturing setting. The atmosphere is great. Supervisors and management are very polite and helpful individuals. They give you many opportunities to succeed within the company. It has been great working with everyone at plant HT. Even with the closure of our plant Shaw has done an amazing job providing resources, and job opportunities. I can't wait to meet everyone at plant Z1.

Cons

-Pay scale at other locations for similar jobs is significantly different.

Advice to Management

No advice I can give. All of the management team I have met so far have been great.

Nov 20, 2017

Thank you for such a great review! We are so happy to hear that you've enjoyed your experience at Shaw and will be joining us at Plant Z1! Thank you for all that you do.

"A great experience with a lot of support, with a lot of opportunity for growth within the company."

Current Employee - Safety/Training Manager in Stuart, VA
    Current Employee - Safety/Training Manager in Stuart, VA

I have been working at Shaw Industries (More than 10 years)

Pros

Unfortunately, at our facility the market has decreased which has caused our facility to shut down.

Cons

The challenges were to stay focused in an ever changing environment of continuous improvement. Shaw needs employees that are adaptable to change.

Nov 6, 2017

Thank you for leaving us this review! Yes - we are experiencing a lot of change that is company- and market-driven, so we appreciate your flexibility to grow and evolve with us. If you are... More

9. "Co-Op Experience at Shaw"

Former Intern - Technical Engineering Co-op in Aiken, SC
    Former Intern - Technical Engineering Co-op in Aiken, SC

I worked at Shaw Industries as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

At Shaw they treat co-ops like real engineers. They give you time to learn the processes and meet the workers, then they let you have freedom to work on your own projects and grow as much as you would like. One of the managers told me one day, "we'll give you a lot of rope, but we won't let you fall" and that exactly describes the way they treat their co-ops. We have enough rope to make things happen and do the projects to the best of our ability, but they won't let us fall as the whole management team will help us whenever we need. I never felt like I was stuck with a project as I could always get the help of any of the engineers or managers when I needed it. I was also never bored there as there was always plenty to do. If I ever felt bored with my projects because they were all waiting on things, I could just walk around the plant and find a new project, or go to a manager and ask what they needed help on- and I would always find plenty of work to do. Also, it was never overwhelming because of the amount of support I had. If I had a lot on my plate and not enough time to do it, I could talk to my boss and prioritize what needed to be done that day and he would help me find others to help with the tasks need be.
    The projects that the co-ops work on are meaningful and important to the company. I never scanned , printing, laminated, etc. unless it was for my own project and by my own will.
    All in all, it was a great company to intern with and I learned more real-world experience than I could have ever imagined.

Cons

The only real negative side of co-oping there was the location. I lived in Columbia and worked in Aiken, and we were not given a housing or gas stipend, which meant I had to live an hour away. I spent a lot of money on gas and a lot of time on the road. The co-op pay is pretty good, so it was worth it to commute that far, but it would have been much better had we been given housing.

Advice to Management

If you could get a housing stipend for the co-ops that would be awesome. Otherwise, you're doing a good job of treating the co-ops fairly and giving them real world experience.

Nov 1, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to give us such a great, thorough review of your time in the co-op program! We're so pleased to hear you enjoyed your experience and were given the freedom to experiment... More

10. "technician 3"

Former Employee - Technician III in Fitzgerald, GA
    Former Employee - Technician III in Fitzgerald, GA

I worked at Shaw Industries full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good Benefits and the pay good also

Cons

Had to work on off shifts some times

Oct 31, 2017

Thanks so much for the great review! We're glad to hear you're happy with your benefits and are glad to have you on the team. Thanks for all that you do!