Shawmut Design and Construction Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Shawmut Design and Construction CEO Les Hiscoe
Les Hiscoe

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great work/life balance, competitive pay, conveniently located, improving systems" (in 14 reviews)

• "Great people, FLEX time, nice office" (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours, a field vs office mentality happens a lot" (in 15 reviews)

• "Tough work-life balance, processes could use improvement" (in 6 reviews)

1. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at Shawmut Design and Construction full-time

Pros

Good people and culture. Lots of room to grow.

Cons

Nothing to provide for cons

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

2. "GREAT"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Providence, RI

I have been working at Shawmut Design and Construction part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, people, loacation here is good

Cons

None at this time here

Advice to Management

keep up the good work

3. "Great office design and atmosphere"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at Shawmut Design and Construction full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cons

Communication is inefficient, difficult to track people down in the summer months increased volume of projects during the summer.

"It's all about who you know..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Shawmut Design and Construction full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people, FLEX time, nice office.

Cons

it's all about who you know at Shawmut. They hire people with no experience, ONLY because they know someone who's been in Shawmut for a long time, which is completely unfair to those who have worked for years and know enough to be promoted. It's almost impossible for project administrators to advance and opportunities in finance are very limited (again, only if you're not a favorite). PXs get away with a lot of things depending on how big their projects are. PMs with little to no experience are assigned to jobs that they cannot handle. Turnover in NEG finance is a problem, but nobody seems to care.

Advice to Management

Stop listening only to those with executive/director title.

"Favorites"

I worked at Shawmut Design and Construction full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only reason anyone would work here or would want to work here is because of ESOP.

Cons

Where do I begin? Ok let’s start with management, this includes any VP, Director, Manager etc. they all claim to promote from within but they don’t. They always go outside instead of promoting from within instead of recognizing the internal employees that deserve it. There are way too many VP’s, Directors and Managers to begin with, seems like everyone that’s hired is one. If your not one of the “Favorites” from the management then you don’t get the same treatment and it’s very obvious who is and who isn’t. They sell FLEX time but that doesn’t apply to everyone and every department. If you need to talk to PST (HR) good luck trying to find anyone because they’re never in the office. Be careful who you tell things too in the office because some Co -Workers will stab you in the back the first chance they get to make themselves look good. Some people in Shawmut love to gossip.Bottom line is this, if your looking for a company that has growth, good management, pay and benefits then Shawmut is NOT the company for you.

Advice to Management

Stop overspending for outside useless talent. Make sure the same rules apply to everyone not just a certain few. Don’t be two face to your employees, say what you mean and mean what you say.

"None"

Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Shawmut Design and Construction full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Upper Management make themselves accessible; good mentor-ship. Big attention to safety and client satisfaction throughout the company. Employee-owned. High profile projects.

Cons

Office staff can be over-worked.

Advice to Management

Private.

"Assistant Project Manager"

I worked at Shawmut Design and Construction full-time

Pros

There are more like-minded people at Shawmut than I have encountered before in my previous companies. The flex-time is OK, but you can only take it when you have the time to not work 60+ hours a week.

Cons

High turn-around! Definitely a white male priority here and I am a white male. I have seen white males get hired with 2 years of limited construction experience as project managers (because they interviewed well) while I see minority women with 3-4+ years construction experience still as APM's. And no, the hired "PM's" are not more qualified. In fact, they are much more worse as they have zero experience managing others which cause their more experienced APM's to quit. You can get treated as an assistant here as an Financial Manager/ APM - this applies to male and female (ordering and delivering food for the meetings, printing copies for project managers while they working from other cities). This isn't right. We are not your assistants.

Advice to Management

Drop the Boston east coast mentality connection. It's not working for other cities at all.

"Project Accountant"

I worked at Shawmut Design and Construction full-time

Pros

Flex time, team members, project diversity

Cons

lack of opportunities for development & growth; only available if at corporate office in Boston; not challenged; no growth and slow to develop and promote;

Advice to Management

engage and challenge employees, consistent metrics for performance

"Excellent Construction Management Firm"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Shawmut Design and Construction full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exciting, high-profile projects with a highly motivated and engaged team of professional peers

Cons

Tough work-life balance, processes could use improvement. The hand off between pre-con and construction ops was always a little shaky.

Advice to Management

Keep it up

"Appreciate Individuals before they feel compelled to leave"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

Pros

Dont have any pros for the providence office. BUT when going to another location I feel GREAT!

Cons

Favortism, lack of transparency/communication, not invested in developing the talent within (not referring to the CMST program).
    We have alot of positive logos "diversity" "inclusion" etc... but there is not real substance behind it.

If you are not in the "right" circle you will never be part of anything important

Advice to Management

Stop letting certain individuals get away with bad behavior, it only makes upper management look bad causing the lack of respect we have for you

Shawmut Design and Construction Response

Dec 11, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for the feedback. We’re constantly working to improve our employee experience in all of our offices.

Our commitment to employee development and D&I is ongoing, and we know there is... More