Shea Properties Reviews | Glassdoor

Colm Macken

1. "Leasing Specialist"

Current Employee - Leasing Specialist
    Current Employee - Leasing Specialist

I have been working at Shea Properties (More than a year)

Pros

It's great working for a private property management company because you are able to speak to corporate about your needs and they are their to listen

Cons

There really is no work life balance and they have no program that actually recognizes employees for their performance

2. "Administrative Resident Services"

Current Employee - Administration/Resident Services
    Current Employee - Administration/Resident Services

I have been working at Shea Properties full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

I don't have any cons

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

"Very Corporate"

I worked at Shea Properties full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation is good. Shea provides a rent free apartment if you live onsite. They are also flexible and allow you to live at a different Shea property but with a smaller discount.

Cons

Management is not very friendly, professional, or easy to work for. If you bring any concerns to the corporate office they would rather not address your concerns.

"Community Manager"

I worked at Shea Properties full-time

Pros

Worked with Shea for over 7 years, the pay was reasonable for a Manager. Offer comped housing, weekends off ( I think that has changed) and paid holidays. Empowered managers to make decisions for their community. Communicate effectively on expected expectations, with conference calls/region monthly meetings.

Cons

In my final year of employment there was a lot of change with upper management. Things started to shift not in favor of the onsite teams and with the perception of customer service. The company shifted from customer service based to revenue based. It appeared that new management wanted to clear out employees that had been dedicated for years. From what I understand things have not improved with the company.

6. "Development Coordinator - Temp Contract"

Former Employee - Development Coordinator - Temp Contract in Aliso Viejo, CA
    Former Employee - Development Coordinator - Temp Contract in Aliso Viejo, CA

I worked at Shea Properties (Less than a year)

Pros

Extremely team oriented. Open to all suggested input. Always trying to improve things to make things more organize and streamlined for employees. Very supportive management and executives. A company that I would definitely love to work for if a permanent position became available or another temp contract position.

Cons

I honestly don't have any cons during my time there. Everybody there is super friendly and easy to get along with. Again, nothing negative to say about anybody that I met and worked along side with. From receptionist to executives, all awesome.

Advice to Management

Keep up the excellent work. It was a pleasure to work there for the few months of the contract. If a position became available I would definitely love to come on as a member of the Shea team.

7. "Great Company- Still working out the kinks"

Current Employee - Sales in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Shea Properties (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful culture, and great attitude about learning. Also really like the overall customer first position.

Cons

The employee discount is not realistic- if you work in any position other than management or corporate and want to live on-site you are basically working for free. Especially in the Bay Area where rent is so expensive. They are working on it though, and I understand it is a business

Advice to Management

Change the employee discount to 50% like Equity and AvalonBay

"Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aliso Viejo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aliso Viejo, CA

I worked at Shea Properties full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people. Very collaborative. Almost too collaborative. Care above their people. Great place to get experience.

Cons

Slow to get things done and make decisions. Known in the past to underpay their people. Sometimes unclear who's responsible for making decisions. Can dangle the carrot to younger employees.

"Awesome People make the difference."

Current Employee - Development in Aliso Viejo, CA
    Current Employee - Development in Aliso Viejo, CA

I have been working at Shea Properties full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Shea hires people based on culture fit, which makes for a great working environment. You'll meet some of the most talented and funniest people you've ever worked with. There are no egos and everyone receives equal treatment. There is an obvious absence of politics, drama and the usual stress of corporate life.

Cons

Things move slow at Shea. The've been around since the late 1800's so, there's probably some logic to that. They take their time to make decisions.

Advice to Management

Consider more flex time options. Add amenities to the office and sites that employees can use.

"Run while you can"

Former Employee - Leasing Specialist in Aliso Viejo, CA
    Former Employee - Leasing Specialist in Aliso Viejo, CA

I worked at Shea Properties (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and good pay.

Cons

Very uptight and very unreasonable management. Hires from outside the company instead of promoting from within the company.

"Worked for Shea for 10+ years and still love it!"

Current Employee - Senior Community Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Community Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Shea Properties full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Strong financial backing and a "do the right thing" culture make working for Shea easy. People are friendly from the top down. There are lots of in place resources (marketing and facilities teams to name a couple) to support the properties. In fact, support from the corporate office is amazing.

We have an on-boarding process that really gets new associates off to a great start! In the apartment side, we are planning to almost double the portfolio over the next few years making growth opportunity not only a very real possibility, but an expectation.

Cons

The only con I can think of is the long hours when short staffed or during super busy seasons, but that's the case in any property management company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the current trend of promoting people from within the company! Also, add needed resources and people as the company continues to grow.