Sheetz Reviews in Altoona, PA | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sheetz President and CEO Stan Sheetz
Stan Sheetz

Pros
Cons
  • Work Life Balance employees not showing up for work (in 16 reviews)

• Stressful, some coworkers, 24/7 means working all holidays (in 22 reviews)

1. "Cool Place"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Altoona, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Altoona, PA

I worked at Sheetz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Dope and yeah it's cool huh

Cons

Pretty Dope too feel what I'm saying?

Advice to Management

Keep being dope

2. "Not for everyone."

Current Employee - Distribution in Claysburg, PA
    Current Employee - Distribution in Claysburg, PA

I have been working at Sheetz full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Quarterly bonus, corporate trips, competative pay

Cons

No set work schedule, little flexibility

Advice to Management

I work in a department that deals with technical support for the stores in the company. We maintain technology and other equipment throughout the stores. This in itself isn't a bad job. but we're often thrown into roles of other departments after hours with no change in pay. Because the company itself is in operation twenty-four hours a day there's no shift differential either. The department also takes on a customer service role as well if they're too short-staffed to handle the call volume. The customer support staff is reduced after five pm to one person usually, so we get put in a lot. With this, if we question it or raise concerns they take it as complaining or refusal to do our job. This turns it into a hostile work environment more often than not because they threaten negative action against us, (e.g, write ups, terminations).

The shifts in my department are four - ten hour days per week. The days are not set so there's always a possibility that you can work eight days straight without overtime. Normally we're supposed to have every other weekend off but I typically will receive one weekend off per month. I've sought different shifts as they were available and have been passed up each time by newer employees.

If you happen to get into a department that isn't required to be a catch-all, the company itself isn't terrible. We do get quarterly bonuses, we have a health care facility on campus with a full gym, there's a day care center for $33/day if needed. The medical benefits aren't terrible. There's dental and vision too.

3. "4 years meant nothing"

Former Employee - Database Administrator in Altoona, PA
    Former Employee - Database Administrator in Altoona, PA

I worked at Sheetz full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to get entry level experience for enterprise IT, good parties

Cons

High responsibility and constantly being barraged with work outside of work hours, I found out I was being demoted in my review. My review and measurables were outstanding, but I was told by my manager it was an "Obamacare thing" and told me it didn't matter much. Get hired into an unfavored group, prepare to bust your rear for no return, at least that was my experience. Had my previous review removed for some reason?

Advice to Management

Promote the people that are working to make your company better, not the people you don't see as a threat to leave

Jun 14, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Marketing Specialist

We hate to see you had an unfavorable experience working with Sheetz and we completely understand your frustration with the change coming from Obamacare. We do try our best to ensure everyone is ... More

4. "Company Great, Store Employees not so much"

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Altoona, PA
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Altoona, PA

I worked at Sheetz (More than 3 years)

Pros

Yearly pay raise, great advancement opportunities, quarterly bonuses, excellent benefits, paid time off

Cons

24/7 business can be stressful, most stores have tons of call outs so you never know when you'll get off work (if you're a manager), I worked at 6 stores and all of them had complaints about awful teamwork

Apr 25, 2017 – Talent Marketing Specialist

Thank you for the time & dedication you gave working for Sheetz! We appreciate the feedback you gave in regards to "teamwork" and we hope to improve upon this for a better working experience. ... More

5. "Kitchen Manager"

Former Employee - Kitchen Manager in Altoona, PA
    Former Employee - Kitchen Manager in Altoona, PA

I worked at Sheetz full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Esop/401k
    Wages are above competitive

Cons

Store Structure hours are below desirable

Apr 26, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Marketing Specialist

Thank you for the time & dedication you gave working for Sheetz! We appreciate the feedback you gave in regards to "store structure hours" and we hope to improve upon this for a better working ... More

6. "One of the few truly family-owned companies left!"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Altoona, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Altoona, PA

I worked at Sheetz part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Every company says their employees are 'like a family' but at Sheetz, regardless of position, you are truly treated as if you possess the Sheetz family name. There is a sense of mutual-respect and camaraderie that you would be hard-pressed to find at any other company in today's cutthroat business world. Just the fact that the highest-level executives occasionally take the time to drop by every store and personally check in, speaks volumes to the company's integrity as a whole!

Cons

Honestly, I am having trouble coming up with cons. On the store level, it is definitely a demanding job with the potential for long hours, but their starting compensation and benefits absolutely reflect that fact and only grows with length of employment.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! I look forward to watching the unstoppable Sheetz train roll into more and more markets!

7. "Supervisors/ management hypocritical and play favorites"

Current Employee - Salesperson in Altoona, PA
    Current Employee - Salesperson in Altoona, PA

I have been working at Sheetz part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay and benefits,friendly coworkers,fast paced

Cons

Management scolds certain employees for not following protocols that they themselves don't follow,while allowing employees they are close to get away with the same things you're scolded for.

Advice to Management

Act like professionals! Lead by example! Treat every employee equally!

"I'd go back - but not to that department"

Former Employee - Security Operations Analyst in Altoona, PA
    Former Employee - Security Operations Analyst in Altoona, PA

I worked at Sheetz full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, great 401K, bonuses were also very nice. A lot of other work perks, parties and discounts. Most departments really love their jobs

Cons

Direct supervisors never listened. Manager was never even there and couldn't begin to tell you what we did. Micro managed beyond belief. It was just a bad department that no one cared about

Advice to Management

Show some appreciation for your employees. Stop micro managing. And if you're in charge of a department at least be able to tell other people what they do.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Altoona, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Altoona, PA

I have been working at Sheetz full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Family atmosphere, flexible hours, great pay, benefits, stock ownership plan. Sheetz is on the best places to work list for several states as well as the Fortune list.

Cons

I can't think of many cons, however there are downsides to working for a business that operates 24 hours a day / 7 days per week - calls at all hours of the day and not much "down time".

Advice to Management

Find a way to perfect the work life balance. We are all working towards the same goal, however, this means sacrificing family time in the process. Afford managers the freedom to turn the job off and take a break.

10. "Good"

Former Employee - SALES CLERK in Altoona, PA
    Former Employee - SALES CLERK in Altoona, PA

I worked at Sheetz (More than a year)

Pros

Good Company and Hard work

Cons

Long hour, slow on management