Sheetz Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sheetz President and CEO Stan Sheetz
Stan Sheetz

Pros
  • Great pay and benefits,friendly coworkers,fast paced (in 25 reviews)

• Great work environment great pay (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life Balance employees not showing up for work (in 15 reviews)

• Some times you have to work long hours (in 17 reviews)

"Nasty"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Richmond, VA

Pros

The store managers are paid well, the bonuses are generous, and the people you work with day to day are some of the best people you will ever meet.

Cons

The company is horrible, the benefits are extremely lousy, favoritism is the only way you can survive or advance, you will always be understaffed, you are not given any of the tools to succeed, and from Monday to Friday, you will only see sunshine from inside Sheetz. You will be told to cheat on QA inspections, no two people will do anything the same way because no one was trained the same way, you can do something the same way every single day from day one because that's how everyone you've ever worked with has done it and get fired for it when they don't like you anymore, say "union" out loud and you are gone in a month. If you arrive on time, and leave on time, you will be the worst manager in the district and be called out on it at every meeting. Don't plan a vacation, you won't be going. If you can't kiss up to the right people, you will never even get this job, and you will definitely not be able to keep it.

Advice to Management

Centralize training, make every single store consistent (with layouts in the MTO, training, management, etc), penalize managers for adding people to the shift for DM, RM, and VP visits, and let people not named Sheetz run this place. They had a good starting idea, but they do not have the ability of running this place.

"not for me"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Elverson, PA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Elverson, PA

Pros

Always very busy, which passed the time. Good product, food, clean place to work. benefits, and pay not bad to start.

Cons

Store manager can make all the difference, has there favorites. Lots of backstabbing, gossiping behind other employees backs. Terrible scheduling, would work till 2am have to be back in at 12am that night and that was considered your day off, then was scheduled for a mandatory unpaid managers meeting at 3pm that same day, and was told "welcome to sheetz". Goodbye!!

Advice to Management

Maybe consider employees personal life, and sleep time would help with morale and retention of employees. Have some form of formal training available, not just a minimum wage college student showing you around.

"one of the worst working experiences I have ever had"

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Lynchburg, VA
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Lynchburg, VA

Pros

Sheetz had a decent pay rate and decent benefits available. If not for that factor, I would not have stayed working there as long as I did.

Cons

The manager basically sat in the back room and expected everyone else to do her job for her. The assistant managers did the same thing. We (shift supervisors) got stuck doing everything they didnt want to do. The employees were lazy and constantly sneaking off for coffee or cigarette breaks in the back room. It was the most disorganized poorly run work environment I have ever been in. No respect. No organization. No structure. Awful.

Advice to Management

Hire managers that actually do their jobs and are willing to put in just as much effort as the people they are in charge of. Don't hire people who just sit on their butts and boss everyone else around. It makes employees loose respect.

"Paid Slave Labor"

Former Employee - Sales Person in Plains, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Person in Plains, PA

I worked at Sheetz full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Sheetz offers decent benefits for employees. Also, it is impossible to be bored when working at Sheetz, since there are so many different duties.

Cons

Honestly, I'm baffled by all the positive reviews of Sheetz employment. Working for Sheetz was the worst experience of my life. On my first day of employment, the training program was down, so I was placed directly onto the floor with zero training. I had no clue what I was doing, and the managers and co-workers decided that the best they could do was to stand around and chat while I gained the "experience" of making three or four food orders at one time, when I was not even taught the location of the ketchup.

I was criticized for every little mistake I made, and weeks later, when I was making orders faster than employees that had been working there for several years, I was still told that I was moving too slow.

Despite the terrible management and abysmal employee camaraderie, the worst part about working at Sheetz was the break policy. When working an 8 hour shift, I would only receive a single 20 minute break and no lunch. The remaining 7 hours and 40 minutes were spent constantly running from one counter to the next. There is no way spending that much time on one's feet with a racing heart can be healthy.

Working for Sheetz is detrimental to one's physical and emotional health, and accepting a job at Sheetz will eviscerate one's body and spirit.

Advice to Management

Ensure that employees are adequately trained before being placed on the floor. Reinforce the concept that all employees are equal, no matter how long they have been working for you.

6. "Overworked, under appreciated, set up to fail."

Former Employee - Salesperson in Pitts, PA
    Former Employee - Salesperson in Pitts, PA

I worked at Sheetz full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Money and benefits are good.

Cons

Not appreciated, often misled or lied to.

Advice to Management

Don't play favorites.

"No integrity"

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Perry, OH
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Perry, OH

I worked at Sheetz full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is better then comparable jobs. My co-workers were fun. Quarterly bonuses from $50-300. Potential benefits, which are good.

Cons

Management lacked integrity in all three stores I worked in. Favoritism was outrageous. There could be a lot of drama, like any place, but the managers always fed into it. Management acted and spoke to employees very condescendingly and at times downright disrespectful. Sexual jokes were commonplace It was just a very unprofessional atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Better hiring practices need to be put in effect ASAP and current management need to be re-trained and watched more closely by HR.

8. "Moral in the store I worked at is very low."

Former Employee - Team Member in Frederick, MD
    Former Employee - Team Member in Frederick, MD

I worked at Sheetz full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is decent for the job

Cons

The store I worked at always has had moral problem mostly caused by management. the current manager has made moral lower than ever. he treats employees like they are robots and does not care about them or there families. he changes schedules without informing employees then call and threatens to right them up when they are not there. he puts people on schedules then crosses them off. he has made a very hostile work environment. he also had a complaint about a blocked emergency exit from a customer and just said keep the other door in front of it closed.

The district manager backs her managers without question. She half way investigates problems before she says they would not do that. managers have gotten away with everything from sexual harassment (this was a supervisor at the time now promoted to assistant manager) to server poor quality food made in a way that is against company policy.

other sheetz districts might be good to work at but not this one

Advice to Management

The main office of the company needs to go in an clear house from the district manager down put people in place that have had management trains (not just sheetz manager training). This would solve many of the problems these stores have. With food now a main priority in the company they need managers that know food quality and truly believe in it.

another thing that would help is take a page from wawa have manager that have the food service as their main focus and separate retail end of the business.

9. "Decent Pay but not worth your energy"

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Clarks Summit, PA
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Clarks Summit, PA

I worked at Sheetz full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay, open 24 hours so more positions available, half off food while on the clock

Cons

Managers are unreasonable, including district manager, higher ups don't care about the peons who work at the store level, all they care about is the bottom line

Advice to Management

Dont treat your people like crap if you want to run an effective company

"Horrible!"

Former Employee - Salesperson in Monroeville, PA
    Former Employee - Salesperson in Monroeville, PA

I worked at Sheetz full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None, bad experience. Will NEVER work for Sheetz again! They let employees friends hang out for hours and never leave.

Cons

Poor management! Some knew how to speak to people but two did not. Management would leave nasty notes posted on walls which is completely unprofessional! I have been in management for 11 years and have never done this immature behavior. I was not a manager for Sheetz and would never want to be either.

Advice to Management

Do not only promote from within and if you do, follow up to make sure they have people skills and can delegate tasks!

"One of the worst places to work in"

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

Pros

Pay rate is great, discounts are 50% and most people are great to work with

Cons

Terrible management, people are treated unfairly and are taken for granted.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with the respect they deserve. Speaking to them and treating them like trash is not professional. Obviously some management should not be in that position in the first place. I've worked at many different stores and saw the same issue in all of them. Problem is the main bosses picking their favorites. Once they know they are, obviously they start to slack off and blame others for their lack of work. I'm am disgusted at some because of the negative things they say about their employees. Sheetz should definitley not be one of the best places to work for. Absolutely nothing more then drama, gossip and favorites. To ever make it ahead in this company, it's not based on performance but it has to do with who's butt your kissing to make it there. Not even a handful follow the rules like they should. Some managers can get away with anything, even calling their employees retards. I absolutely love my job and what I do but I hate working under people who don't appreciate others work and are disrespectful.