Sheetz Reviews | Glassdoor

Sheetz Reviews

Updated December 9, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Atmosphere is upbeat, fast-paced and welcoming, and the pay and benefits are like no other in the industry (in 29 reviews)

• Great company with great benefits (in 63 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life Balance employees not showing up for work (in 17 reviews)

• The 24/7 industry does bring its own challenges (in 23 reviews)

1. "Salesperson"

I worked at Sheetz full-time

Pros

Able to build relationships with customers, flexible work schedule around school, supervised by younger people, stay active throughout day, 50% off sheetz food items while on the clock, best coffee around

Cons

Difficult to obtain a corporate career even when you've worked in the store a year, only a 20 min break for an 8 hr shift, store manager stays in office and gets upset about wait times, newest people get delegated dirtiest tasks (bathrooms and trash)

Advice to Management

Find supervisors who are willing to clean the fryers and oven, do the trash, and clean the bathrooms every once in awhile or your employee turnover rate will never slow when the new people doing the worst tasks every time they work. Give longer breaks because it's unhealthy to eat that fast.

2. "Kitchen Manager"

Current Employee - Kitchen Manager in Vadum, Northern Jutland (Denmark)
    Current Employee - Kitchen Manager in Vadum, Northern Jutland (Denmark)

I have been working at Sheetz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for with lots of benefits. Alot of advancement opportunities as the companyis growing alot in my area.

Cons

You have to be available 4 hrs before and after your shift in case of call offs. Schedule changes without even being asked if its ok even after its been posted for weeks.

3. "It's okay, I guess."

Former Employee - Salesperson in Red Lion, PA
    Former Employee - Salesperson in Red Lion, PA

I worked at Sheetz part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a fairly simple job, coworkers are nice, room to advance through positions. You can receive benefits as a full-time employee, there's flexible hours, you're just treated right.

Cons

Customers can be cranky, it is a fast-paced environment, the establishment sometimes undergoes repairs/remodeling, making it difficult to perform your duties.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect. Don't abuse your power as a manager. Make sure your employees feel safe and are provided with the environment you promised them when they were hired. Don't poke fun at your employees or their fellow employees will think that's okay to do to people.

4. "Hate getting called by managers in the middle of the night at the store to get chewed out."

I have been working at Sheetz part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have another job so that I can get away from this one.

Cons

Management belittling employees and yelling at them a lot. Management will not treat you like a human being. If you try to help them they act like you're stupid and say bad things about you.

Advice to Management

Don't talk to employees like a dog. We are human beings

5. "The job can be fun but, does come with a good bit of stress."

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Sheetz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is always room for advancement. The pay is usually higher then similar jobs,.

Cons

The 24/7 industry does bring its own challenges. Holidays are must work, and no snow days. Staffing can be an issue causing lots of extra unscheduled hours. No real work/life balance. Not the best job for someone who is married or has children.

Advice to Management

Be more choosy when hiring and to try and avoid issues amongst the staff. Listen your employees they see and hear a lot while in the store.

6. "Good Company"

I have been working at Sheetz full-time

Pros

Very friendly, overall relaxed environment, casual dress code

Cons

Communication is lacking, documentation is non-existent

7. "Great company"

I have been working at Sheetz part-time

Pros

Great benefits, and a great company to work for!

Cons

Very busy, and quick learning is a must.

8. "Sheetz is by far the best company I have worked for!!!"

Current Employee - Overnight Shift Supervisor in Carlisle, PA
    Current Employee - Overnight Shift Supervisor in Carlisle, PA

I have been working at Sheetz full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paid breaks, fifty percent off good cheap food, team oriented atmosphere, it is a very clean and organized family-owned company

Cons

Can be stressful at times but so is life. Must have fun in his job setting or will not survive career wise.

Advice to Management

Don’t hire too many outsiders for management. Keep promoting in house!!

9. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Salesperson in Statesville, NC
    Current Employee - Salesperson in Statesville, NC

I have been working at Sheetz (Less than a year)

Pros

Great environment loved the people I worked with

Cons

Didn't care for other employees who cheated their way up the ladder.

"Does not care about management"

Current Employee - Hospitality Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Hospitality Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Sheetz full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of overtime due to lack of staff. Everyone except Store manager is paid hourly so you actually get paid for extra hours now.

Cons

Loitering by crowds of young people who are spitting, swearing, and trashing your lot. I am told Sheetz wants them there. More than once I was uncomfortable walking to my car. This has chased away all my regular PAYING customers and they have told me this! The music is horrible. They say it is for the guests but it should be upbeat and more for employees to keep them motivated. Most guests are in and out quickly. They aren’t there to hear music. The Store structure is set schedules for management but it is the same company wide even though every Store has different needs. There is no input in the structure for each store. The structure destroys your health and work family balance. When speaking with HR about this I was told to quit or demote if I don’t like it. I have no set sleep schedule since Store structure started and if you need one of your set days off you are supposed to use up personal or vacation time. I no longer can even attend church since I am required to work EVERY Sunday morning. Don’t get excited about the discount. It’s capped. You only get it on $100 a month. So that equals only $10 savings a month. That’s a joke. Employees could be your biggest customers. Bring your own snacks from home. You have to eat in the break room and only get 20 minutes IF customer flow allows time which in a busy store is never! Working 8 to 10 hours with no time to eat is brutal! Employees fill out a yearly survey and action has to be taken based on the survey. Sounds like a good thing but Sheetz has twisted it into chaos. After 7 years of bad surveys, managers have been fired and those who remain are told to stop telling employees what to do! After all these years and various managers no one thinks that maybe there are other problems that aren’t because of the manager? Staffing is ridiculous. Are we running a gas station or a restaurant? Second and third shift have very few employees. It’s not unusual for guests to wait 30 minutes or more for food. Customer service is shot after 2 pm. Sheetz only cares about the lunch crowd even though the dinner crowd buys much larger orders. We have tons of fast food chains nearby that have less business but lots of employees on all the time. They are always ready for that next rush. I can’t say that for Sheetz. The bonus based on customer surveys is only if they are highly satisfied and every survey counts even if the reason is beyond your control. We loose percentage when a customer puts down satisfied instead of highly satisfied because it was RAINING or some other ridiculous thing! We are set up for failure in every way imaginable.

Advice to Management

Back your managers. Staff like a restaurant. Schedule for each store instead of company wide. Make bonuses fair. You will continue to loose good managers and employees if you don’t start treating them better.