Sheetz Reviews in Richmond, VA | Glassdoor

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sheetz President and CEO Stan Sheetz
Stan Sheetz

Pros
  • Great pay and benefits,friendly coworkers,fast paced (in 25 reviews)

• Great work environment great pay (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life Balance employees not showing up for work (in 15 reviews)

• Some times you have to work long hours (in 17 reviews)

1. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chester, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chester, VA

I worked at Sheetz part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good working conditions, flexible schedules, great coworkers, good pay, great benefits, supportive managers.

Cons

Frequent call-outs lead to long hours and too few team members available for the shift.

2. "Fast, Strange Customers, Easy Work Flow"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chesterfield, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chesterfield, VA

I have been working at Sheetz part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's almost different each day
    POS is simple
    Order Points are simple
    Basic Tasks
    Days become consistent after awhile
    You know what you're expected to do

Cons

Either too much or too little hours vary by week
    Unless you're a manager you get whatever they give you
    No constant scheduling
    Customers aren't the best (but what can you say I guess)
    Belittled a lot by said customers (I guess that's everywhere but more so than my other jobs )

Advice to Management

Don't do runarounds with people, if you're going to do something. Follow through.

3. "Don't Do It"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Richmond, VA

I worked at Sheetz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is a little higher than average.

Cons

Where do I start.... the schedule....management does not care about the shifts after 5 PM. District managers are corrupt do not trust them!

Advice to Management

Treat employees with respect and quit fixing the schedules in your favor!

5. "Overall Good Experience"

Former Employee - Overnight Shift Supervisor in Chesterfield, VA
    Former Employee - Overnight Shift Supervisor in Chesterfield, VA

I worked at Sheetz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent compensation and benefits. Pushes promotion from within

Cons

Night security only there until 1am

Advice to Management

Hire pm security to stay all night

6. "Fast-paced environment with lots of room for growth"

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Ruther Glen, VA
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Ruther Glen, VA

I have been working at Sheetz full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company is expanding quickly and they are hiring and promoting quickly. While things are changing a little, it is a family owned company and they treat their employees well with benefits and perks. The pay is fair, and ahead of other convenience stores, but there is a lot more work involved as well.

Cons

The company, like many others, is cheap with labor hours so we are constantly understaffed. Customers can get away with murder and the company will back them before you. Pay raises stop after 3 years for the hourly positions. So as a shift supervisor with 14 years of experience, I make the exact same pay as a shift supervisor with 3 years of experience. While you can accrue personal days, you are "penalized" when you actually use them. Many employees often work sick because of the repercussions of calling off from work.

Advice to Management

Schedule more employees, this is a multimillion dollar business. Compensate your employees for their tenure for longer than 3 years. Allow employees to use their personal days for personal reasons without fear of having their hours cut or being retaliated against by management. You often have people working ill in food service because they were afraid to call in sick.

"Wish it was a better company"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chesterfield, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chesterfield, VA

I worked at Sheetz (More than a year)

Pros

They pay pretty well starting out but they don't give great raises.they work with your schedule. Pretty good discounts while your on the clock.

Cons

They management can be really bad the don't look out for employees. They don't like to help when your busy.

Advice to Management

To help out their employees. To give praise when needed. Pay your employees what they are worth. Don't put everything on them.

"Not worth the heartache"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Ashland, VA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Ashland, VA

I worked at Sheetz full-time

Pros

Base starting wages and salaries, everyone hired at same rate, assistant managers and higher salaried. Usually make great friends with co-workers.

Cons

Inconsistent management, higher management incompetent (for instance, holding a district wide meeting, explaining some new policies the DM wants us to follow, go back to store and instruct staff to follow new policies, customer service issues arise during implementation, as DM was warned during meeting, DM gets customer complaints, DM calls swearing at management for issues with new policies, informs us to ignore them, it's just for show when the big boss is in town). Hours are always cut to below needs on every shift but the one's the store manager is working. When big boss comes to town, manager pulls three extra people to first shift to make sure it looks like he wants it, then he thinks, "store's running great on a 10% hour reduction, could probably even cut more from the budget!" Pay for management, assistants and above, no where near what is required for the work load expected. Expect to work long hours, be dropped from full time rolls, have your schedule reduced or changed at the last minute, be asked to stay late, have managers use the schedule as a weapon or reward, and to be required to come in to work with no regard to circumstance like weather, child birth, or death.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring outside managers that don't have any idea how we operate. We have an awesome and unique culture, and leading a team that is proud of that takes someone that was promoted from within. Support your in store team, realizing that they are your only connection to customers and that if they are unhappy, customers see it!

9. "Very Pleasant College Job"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Richmond, VA

I worked at Sheetz part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Paid well for type of job, I went from $9.75 to $11.50 in three years, did not move up to shift manager. Gave vacation time. Culture was positive, upbeat, customer-friendly. Left me with a good impression of the company. Management worked with me coming and going on college breaks.

Cons

Some people were stuck working the overnights. As Sheetz is 24/7 overnights and holidays were sometimes issues. Worked 3 hours on Christmas each year, as the store divided up the day amongst everyone. Was fair, but be aware of working holidays.

Advice to Management

Connect with the lowest level workers. They have the best grasp of how things work "at the ground level." They can offer advice on simplifying procedures and which products are not really worth the extra equipment and effort.

"Hectic work environment"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Sheetz full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Family owned and operated company, the family really tries to take care of their employees

Cons

The work environment is extremely fast paced and many times you are very understaffed which makes working there miserable at times.

Advice to Management

The stores need quite a bit more labor to operate at the expectations of the corporate standards.

11. "Sheetz is one of the best places to work for."

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Richmond, VA

I worked at Sheetz full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work is fun, great benefits such as health, dental, and vision. Yearly raises. You also get a paid vacation if you are with the company for 6 years.

Cons

If you hours fall below a certain threshold, you can lose your medical benefits. Facial hair is a "No-No"