ShelfGenie Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
P. Allan Young

1. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Team Member in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Team Member in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at ShelfGenie full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Growing company, great benefits, fun culture, awesome co-workers.

Cons

Some people don't like the constant changes. However, I love it we are always getting better. This place isn't for everyone. Only a special few:)

Advice to Management

Keep it up! I have seen even better changes in the last month. Can't wait to see what 2017 brings!

"Not a great culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at ShelfGenie full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Franchisees are very good people. Company seems to be financially sound. The corporate office hires good people who are very capable.

Cons

There is way too much turnover at the corporate office. The people who are there are very over-worked. No stability.

Advice to Management

You keep hiring good people, but you can't keep them. At some point, don't you have to admit that the problem is you, not the people you hire?

"Designer of Glideout Shelving"

Current Employee - Kitchen Designer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Kitchen Designer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at ShelfGenie part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love meeting people and helping them solve problems in their kitchen. I have a lot of flexibility in this position by controlling my own calendar. It is up to me as to my availibiity to work. Shelf Genie of Raleigh has been very fair to me. I did have to provide my own laptop computer but I had one anyway. They provide the printers we use. I have to work Home Shows some during the year but am always paid for my time. There are great incentives to sell more and receive bonuses. It is a great part time job for me as a mother of 4 children. The kids are growing up and I am able to work more now but i have been allowed to decide my work schedule. I could gain more opportunities if I self generated and I am planning to do more of that in the future.

Cons

This is a great job for me as I stated before but the income is not always consistent. Sometimes I have big months and sometimes I don't' but it works out well for me. Home Shows are a necessity but not my favorite thing to do.

Advice to Management

Communicate well and keep bringing in fresh ideas for the sales team. Continue to lead by being positive and understanding that this is a job with ups and downs as the opportunities are lots at some times and little at others.

"Shelf Genie Designer of 4 years"

Former Employee - ShelfGenie Designer in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - ShelfGenie Designer in Columbus, OH

Pros

I am a professional organizer and own my own business. Shelf Genie allowed me to fill in appointment gaps as I grew my business. I had the freedom to choose when I wanted to work and how much. There were many opportunities for me to create income for myself beyond the appointments that they scheduled for me. My organizing practice has matured and I simply need to focus on that.

Cons

The sales kit and computer bag can be very heavy to lug in and out of the car. I lived 40 minutes from Columbus, Ohio where many of our appointments are located so I did a lot of driving sometimes for one appointment or a team meeting.

Advice to Management

I enjoyed working for Mike Saunders of ShelfGenie of Columbus. He was always very fair in everything.

"Designer"

Current Employee - Designer in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Designer in Columbus, OH

I have been working at ShelfGenie part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The companies provides all of my leads and has great training. I get to set my own schedule and work area. The compensation is fantastic for the hours required. I love the impact that what I do has on our clients it is a very rewarding job.

Cons

I really cannot think of any

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

"Everything is up-to-date in Kansas City"

Current Employee - Designer of Happiness in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Designer of Happiness in Kansas City, MO

Pros

I have been a designer for ShelfGenie in the Greater Kansas City franchise for 9 months. After reading some of the reviews, I was shocked by many of the statements made. I have been treated more than fairly by my franchise owner, and although I have not had a great deal of interaction with Home Office people, the little I have had has been cordial and helpful. I particularly have found the people in the Call Center to frequently go above and beyond in getting messages relayed to both clients and designers about cancellations and reschedules.

Cons

My only complaint is that I find myself working more hours and days than I had originally intended, because of not having enough designers in our franchise to cover the appointments. I know that our franchise owner is working hard to hire more people, and I hope that will alleviate that issue. I do have another design job, and I need to devote time to it, as well.

Advice to Management

Maintain the course with superior products at a fair price. Remember us little guys out here in the field, and keep us supplied with good sales materials to help us continue solving problems for our clients.

8. "Shelf Genie Franchisee"

Current Employee - Franchise Owner in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Franchise Owner in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at ShelfGenie (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great product portfolio with terrific profit potential. Corporation provides significant support and training. Proven system that has worked in numerous locations. Does not require a storefront or the purchase of inventory. Shelf Genie owns the production.

Cons

Hard work. Need to invest heavily in marketing and work lots of shows.

Advice to Management

Keep a solid team at headquarters and be responsive to needs of Zees

"Not a good fit"

Former Employee - Installer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Installer in Washington, DC

Pros

I enjoyed installing glideouts and working with my hands

Cons

Too many to count.
    They mix business with personal and falsely represent themselves as team players. They had me sign a contract which was great for me alone, however having a drug addict and alcoholic as a coworker was not apart of the deal. Oh and get this, they wanted me to pay him from my commission when shelf genie should've and that's how it was written out in the contract for extra labor. Shelf genie fired me under false pretenses and did not give me required written notice. I believe that this company does not understand contract law or how to run a business. Screw trying to reach the person I had a contract with, they used a buffer to deal with it. Not professional at all.

Advice to Management

Get new management.

"Fast Paced, Growth Focused & Great People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at ShelfGenie full-time

Pros

ShelfGenie is a fast paced, growth focused company. The office has a constant buzz of energy. The company grew over 40% in the last year which can cause a little chaos as new team members learn and get on board. The leadership is always trying to find awesome people to help build the brand.

The company recently had a huge renovation and the offices are cool. We have a ping pong table in the meeting room and the fit out is modern and creates a collaborative environment.

A big pro is knowing what you do each day helps improve the lives of the franchisees. ShelfGenie is extremely franchisee focused and the entire home office is motivated to provide franchisees and their designers and installers with exceptional support and support services. I have worked in other franchise systems, and the support ShelfGenie offers is above and beyond anything I have ever seen. Franchisees are seen as partners and friends, which is pretty cool.

Cons

ShelfGenie has been undergoing some re-organization and the leadership are trying to change culture and create a foundation for further growth. They have been very clear about the culture they are trying to create. Values include candor, courage and "entrepreneurial thinking". They are very clear that they only want a team of motivated go getters who can think, care and problem solve. As a result, this is not an environment for everyone.

Advice to Management

Stay strong and keep doing what you are doing. I love the culture you are trying to build and love working here because you surround me with like minded people who genuinely love what they do.

"Horrible Leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at ShelfGenie full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some good Franchisees and some good people in the trenches

Cons

Horrible CEO and COO. they are dishonest and they treat staff, vendors and their Franchisees horribly.
    They have values on paper but the management does not follow them - they do the opposite.