Shell Reviews in Beijing, Beijing | Glassdoor

4.1
Shell CEO Ben van Beurden
Ben van Beurden

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They have got employee friendly policies which helps to provide work life balance (in 464 reviews)

• It is a great work environment with dedicated and professional people who want to do a good job (in 165 reviews)

Cons

1. "Good company to work with"

Former Employee - Control Systems Engineer in Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Former Employee - Control Systems Engineer in Beijing, Beijing (China)

I worked at Shell full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good package of benefit, very comfortable environment, Shell emphasizes work-life balance

Cons

work efficiency is not as good as expected, bureaucratic.

2. "very good workplace"

Former Employee - B2B Strategy and Planning Manager in Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Former Employee - B2B Strategy and Planning Manager in Beijing, Beijing (China)

I worked at Shell full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

respect to individuals and work-life balance

Cons

political but within acceptable limit

3. "A good company to work for"

Former Employee - Process Control Engineer in Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Former Employee - Process Control Engineer in Beijing, Beijing (China)

I worked at Shell full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

reasonable benefits and work life balance, flexible working hours

Cons

too much politics and fake motto, especially during crisis time, e.g. no honest and no integrity at exceptional time.

Advice to Management

please treat yourself objectively, don't not exaggerate your high reputation

"Process Engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beijing, Beijing (China)

I worked at Shell full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Every one is so kind to others. Work life balance is important in Shell.Overall pay is good.
    The training is very very high quality/well prepared and useful, Shell paid great attention in Training in all courses.

Cons

Overall commercial process is too long and too complicated. It seemed Shell is not willing to take more responsibilities in the open bid. Too un-flexible to meet the client's reasonable requirements.

Advice to Management

Long view to the future please. Not to be too aggressive to make great changes in a short period of time. I was only in Shell for 2 years but have to face the re-organization recently.

"FINANCE ADVISOR"

Former Employee - Finance Advisor/Senior Financial Analyst in Beijing, Beijing (China)

I worked at Shell full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

can have work-life balance and have the sense of pride due to its first-class technics and products. And the threshold to join Shell is high and thus have a good environment for learning and competition.

Cons

Bureaucratic and not encourage creation and changes, slow actions.

6. "Planning and Performance Analyst"

Current Employee - Planning and Performanct Analyst in Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Current Employee - Planning and Performanct Analyst in Beijing, Beijing (China)

I have been working at Shell full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working in Shell is a super challenging but at the same time very exciting thing, I've been working as a planning and performance analyst for over one year. Besides getting a lot of insights about the energy industy, I still feel everyday is a new day and my daily works will suprise me and make me learn more. To be ture, this makes me feel great!

Shell offers me a global platform to coodinate with teams from all over the world, which gives me a precious oppotunity to learn how to cooperate with staff from different culture. I'm doing operating and management for teams and projects, in which I have to coodinate with manage team from Netherlan and Tech team from India. Although there're challenges in daily job, I still enjoy it very much, cause it gives me a whole vision about how to operate and manage a team and projects as well.

I joined Shell as a G-staff, so the all-round trainings help me get well prepared for coming challenges within a quite short time.

Cons

I think the only downside is the lifecycle for each project is a little bit long. I think with better communication and cooperation the efficiency of teams can be higher and the period can be shorter in the future.

Advice to Management

As I wrote in Cons, the efficiency can be improved a little bit although it's good. I suppose it can be better. Due to the current energy industy's business decrease globally, high efficiency means lower cost, better service and more oppotunities.

7. "It's a very valuable experience"

Former Intern - Credit Analyst in Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Former Intern - Credit Analyst in Beijing, Beijing (China)

I worked at Shell as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I got a 6-month internship in Shell, in Beijing in 2012. Shell treats employees really nice. The working environment is good and all the colleagues are nice and professional. I really learned a lot in shell.

Cons

The work load is very heavy. Even if I am an intern, 3 out of 5 business days I need to work overtime.

Advice to Management

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to work in Shell.

8. "buyer"

Former Employee - Buyer in Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Former Employee - Buyer in Beijing, Beijing (China)

I worked at Shell full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

culture is alright, a good place waiting for retirement

Cons

need to be very patient

9. "Young organisation, many inexperienced people, too may who think they know it all, interesting opportunities though."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beijing, Beijing (China)

Pros

Experience how the business goes in China, fast changing, good access to st. Mgt., pay is good.

Cons

Chaotic, humbleness and self reflection good be better, training and work organisation and chinese management leaves room for improvement.

Advice to Management

Ensure staffing and responsibilities allocated right.

10. "Great working place but not for every fresh graduates"

Former Employee - Intern in Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Former Employee - Intern in Beijing, Beijing (China)

Pros

Great working environment, friendly atmosphere, broad knowledge sharing, chances to get training , right place for working life balance

Cons

"graduation staff" program is not fit for every fresh graduates. only offers little position to choose from. administration process is a little slow -- maybe due to its huge body.

Showing 10 of 3,264 reviews