Shelter Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.9
Rick Means

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Fantastic benefits and 401k profit sharing (in 7 reviews)

• Supervisors always understand the needs of a student's work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • They either over-inflated the size of the agency or home office transferred many policies out of my book to themselves (in 9 reviews)

• I was lied to regarding the size of the book of business I took over (in 4 reviews)

1. "great company"

I have been working at Shelter Insurance (More than 10 years)

Pros

good managers and good supervisors

Cons

need more staffing in their branch offices

Advice to Management

plan for worse case high claims volume to insure great customer service at all times.

2. "11 years - decent benefits not much else - wasted time"

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Topeka, KS
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Topeka, KS

I worked at Shelter Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pros - not many -

--The position I was in was a work from home position - not everyone is cut out for this type of work environment, however I grew to love it. But in the cons below you'll see why this was a catch 22.

--Retirement benefits - great - they are likely leading the pack here, however Shelter uses this as an excuse to pay below market rates for wages.

-- Was family friendly - still kind of is, however the claims environment here stinks

Cons

-- NO ROOM for career advancement, I'd still be with the company if those at the Home office and open recquisitions did not thumb their nose at a resident employee, I and I'm sure others had the opinion that anyone at the corporate or branch offices felt resident workers sat around doing nothing all day. Farthest from the truth -

Most of the home office functions can be done remotely from anywhere in the US much less the world - so why not open your minds to the fact Columbia MO is not the center of the universe - Wichita, KC, Las Vegas, Reno, Denver, OKC are all much larger cities and many have employees that have been with you for a while - you can do an accounting or analyst job remotely from these places - I just could never wrap my mind around the fact a chunk of the workforce is remote however there was still this old school mindset that you had to be in the office to accomplish the back office functions.
    -- Raises -non existent - doesnt matter how much you bust your butt throughout the year - the last few years there was no point in trying to hit your goals - it didnt matter
    -- Residents - as great as being a resident was - you are looked down upon by corporate and I always felt there were negative feelings in the C suite towards this type of position.
    -- Lack of caring by upper management - never how you doing, we appreciate your work etc - As corny as this sounds all upper level management should be required to watch all or most episodes of Undercover Boss - most folks have a netflix subscription - watch it - you'll learn how to appreciate your employees rather than a blanket email
    -- Too many layers of management - there needs to be a thinning of the herd - it's no wonder nothing ever gets accomplished, technology upgrades take decades and years to implement etc. Workday was an enlightening tool - when you review the org chart and see there is layer upon layer of management managing 5 employees it's no wonder nothing ever gets accomplished and any suggestion falls on deaf ears
    -- I could go on - but this was somewhat cathartic to get out. I think deep down there is a good company here and it has vastly changed like most things do since I started my employment, however a lot of the changes were for the worse - you cant pay people very little and continuosly pile more work and stress on them with no opportunity for advancement and expect to have the same morale and great attitudes. There is a serious disconnect at this company in the upper management and what actually goes on at the front lines. Most folks are afraid to tell the truth as this company is a good ole boy network that will find a way to punish someone that speaks up about something or has a different idea - I watched it kill many a good mind and it completely shuts down the flow of thought.

Advice to Management

Please show some appreciation to your people - this is more than an email or a fake parade of executives at a branch office - get to know folks on a personal level - learn their stories and show you care.

Open your minds - deep down there are some good things there however the culture has slowly changed for the worse over the years - you will never attract a younger workforce with the good ole boy southern network that permeates the corporate office

Watch Undercover boss and learn from it - read books such as Good Profit by Charles Koch, follow folks that have built successful business empires such as Richard Branson etc. Wishing you the best and thanks for the time here - but some serious change needs to be implemented for the sake of those still working for you.

3. "It is s stable company with good benefits, but the pay for adjusters is lower than average, and you are a number."

I worked at Shelter Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, health and leave time is generous, coverage is through United Healthcare, and they are widely accepted. Dental is through Delta Dental. Drug coverage is great.

Cons

Lower than average salary and you are s number, not a person.

Advice to Management

Make certain managers are not chauvinists.

4. "Agent"

Former Employee - Agent
    Former Employee - Agent

I worked at Shelter Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Family oriented, extensive training, good leadership, great benefits

Cons

High-pressure, unrealistic goals, insurance is not competitively priced, home office has issues handling paperwork, conservative political environment

5. "Agent in Denver , CO Area"

Former Employee - Vice President Marketing in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President Marketing in Orange, CA

I worked at Shelter Insurance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I seriously cannot think of one. That Bad... I have been in the industry most of my professional life and this was by far the WORST experience since working at Taco Bell when I was in High School.

Cons

If you are taking over an existing book of business and never met the prior agent, you can bet that two things have happened one is that the vacancy period and the size of the book and it's renewal commissions are NOWHERE NEAR what they have told you. They have been answering the phone for at least a few weeks and have figured out which households are going to become house accounts and serviced by home office in Columbia. The office I got suckered into had been vacant for 8 months and the renewal statements showed the book on the low should have been making around $70k but it wasnt... it would have been lucky to see $25k because after they cherry picked the book, the rest of the book is considered bad business for many reasons..these guys and all insurance companies know that it will take at least 3 years for any customer to even be slightly profitable. Most people will have a claim maybe a few in those first few years. this is because Insurance co's are the only ones legally bound to pay money. the customer can quit and go find new insurance after they have a claim and shelter took a loss on you and that is why they and all other insurance Co's only want your Married, college educated homeowners with good credit and no claims history. (if you are studying for your state test, this is the Unilateral Contract ) the best question you can ask THEM is about Agent turnover and make you sure you go out in the field and ask the Agents how much of that profitability bonus they have been seeing. let's say this: If Shelter ran Las Vegas, NOBODY WOULD EVER LEAVE WITH ANY CASH. it didnt take me long to see through the .... company. with so many other companies that are willing to subsidize your initital growth period COMPLETELY, I advise that you think REAL HARD before accepting an offer.

Advice to Management

have a nice day.

6. "Marketing"

I have been working at Shelter Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and pay. I also like the opportunities to work in the community to give back.

Cons

It can be hard to promote within the company. You have to be a part of the good ole boy network at times.

Advice to Management

Take a look at everyone applying from within for a position. You might be missing some really great talent only because you haven't hung out with them socially.

7. "A great"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO

I worked at Shelter Insurance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It's a great place to work and has amazing benefits!

Cons

I deeply respect the management but I struggled to be promoted to a position where my strengths will shine. That being said, the higher price of premium is totally worth the quality of the customer service you receive through your agent and the Claims Department!!

Advice to Management

No advice at this time.

8. "Best Company in Mid MO"

Current Employee - Personal Lines Underwriter in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Personal Lines Underwriter in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Shelter Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I would be thrilled to work at this company for my entire career.
    -People
    -Benefits
    -Work/Life Balance
    -Advancement Opportunity

Cons

The only potential downside might be the company is a little behind on the times tech wise and the pay can be a little on the low side in some positions, but the benefits more than make up the difference.

9. "Good company, if you are a favorite"

Former Employee - Software Developer III in Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Software Developer III in Columbia, MO

I worked at Shelter Insurance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great 401k benefits! Best I've ever seen!
    Coworkers are really great to work with
    Flexible work hours
    Good work-life balance

Cons

If you are not a favorite, you will likely be strong-armed out of the company for an arbitrary reason
    Advancement is based mostly on favoritism and sometimes longevity, NEVER on merit or performance
    Management is very hands off, and reviews are cookie cutter "copy-paste" unless you are a favorite or you are being pushed out

Advice to Management

Put your opinions, pre-conceived notions, and feelings aside and take a more objective approach.
    Treat employees as equals, as sometimes the best ideas come from places you'd least expect

10. "District sales manager (kentucky)"

Former Employee - District Sales Manager in Owensboro, KY
    Former Employee - District Sales Manager in Owensboro, KY

I worked at Shelter Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing company. Great leadership, support and the best training in the business. Benefits are great. I've worked for a few other companies and can truly say my time at shelter was the best. Only reason for Leaving was relocation for my family.

Cons

Not the highest salaries in the business but still very competitive. But I wouldn't even say that was a "con"

Advice to Management

Keep up the great training and support of agents and manager.