Sheppard Pratt Health System Educational Assistant Reviews | Glassdoor

Sheppard Pratt Health System Educational Assistant Reviews

Updated Oct 17, 2016

Found 6 reviews

1.2
Harsh K. Trivedi, M.D., M.B.A.

"Educational Assistant; Special Education (Emotional/Behavioral Disorders)"

Current Employee - Educational Assistant

I have been working at Sheppard Pratt Health System full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some days are easy, school days shorter, hours consistent and off by 4

Cons

Must be prepared for anything to happen (eg. assault, violent episodes, yelling)

Advice to Management

Have regular team building exercises and meetings to decrease conflict among co-workers when they are already working in an otherwise stressful environment! Also, be a leader when that is your job, and properly manage your employees!

Sheppard Pratt Health System2015-01-28

"Poor management"

Current Employee - Educational Assistant in Lanham, MD

I have been working at Sheppard Pratt Health System full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Love the variety of kids. Love that I made a difference during my tenor. Will miss them dearly when I leave.

Cons

Never compensated for the work you do with the population. These kids are severe & they expect you to work for peanuts.

Advice to Management

Train your upper management to deal with people. Easily irritated is not the way to go in this field!

Sheppard Pratt Health System2016-10-18

October 20, 2016Recruitment and Employment Manager

Thank you for your review and thank you for the work you do in the school. We encourage you to contact Employee Relations if you would like to further discuss any of your concerns.

"50/50"

Current Employee - Educational Assistant in Lanham, MD

Pros

I loved my co-workers and kids. The benefits are great and I'm off on weekends. The school location is close to me witch I like because I don't drive. And when ever PGCPS is closed for students because of bad weather were off with pay.

Cons

The administration team is a joke. There mostly spineless yes men and don't stand up for there staff. The behavioral team is a joke. Most don't know there job or even have the proper credentials for the positions that they have. The principle who interviewed me was very unprofessional an was later terminated for misconduct. The level of in your face racism is unbelievable!!! Only if your white or jewish will you be...

Advice to Management

Treat your staff with the respect they deserve!

Sheppard Pratt Health System2016-02-27

March 7, 2016Recruitment and Employment Manager

We appreciate your feedback, and take these concerns very seriously. We recommend getting in touch with your HR rep to discuss further. Thank you.

"Kind of Toxic"

Former Employee - Educational Assistant in Rockville, MD

I worked at Sheppard Pratt Health System full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Get to work with challenging teenagers and have a varied schedule (everyday is different) - Have paid time off based on 12 month long school calendar. You get 25 days off in a year. - Compensated for snow days - Annual pay raise each June could be from 2% to 11% - Working with the students was rewarding and delightful

Cons

- No appreciation for EAs. Teachers from other programs tend to disrespect them as well. - Staff are immensely cliquey with each other - Majority of staff are rude and lackadaisical. Barely show interest in student's well being and never complete paperwork on time, which left competent staff to pick up their slack. - Staff incompetence is rampant and never punished by management - No opportunities for growth or professional...

Advice to Management

Clean house and hire people that are qualified in psychology and staff management. Don't let incompetent employees linger as long as they have. It's a disservice to the children and to the employee's own professional development.

Sheppard Pratt Health System2015-07-09

September 1, 2015Recruitment and Employment Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We hope that you were able to meet with, or talk to an Employee Relations representative in Human Resources prior to leaving to provide additional details.

"Accident Waiting to happen"

Current Employee - Educational Assistant in Frederick, MD

Pros

Direct Supervisors are laid back

Cons

Dangerous work enviroment, I was physically assaulted more than 10 times in a year Work can be very stressful at times Upper management sees employees as replaceable commodities Very poor wages for what you have to put up with

Advice to Management

Value your direct care employees and pay them a live-able wage. This is a job where experience, culture, and relationships matter.

Sheppard Pratt Health System2014-02-06

"great experience for a college student who is in it for the experience, not money. just don't get hurt on the job!"

Former Employee - Occasional Educational Assistant in Hunt Valley, MD

I worked at Sheppard Pratt Health System part-time for more than a year

Pros

flexible schedule, great learning experience

Cons

high turn over rate with educational assistants, most of which are slackers from day 1. and workers comp is a nightmare do NOT get hurt working here

Advice to Management

quarterly reviews for "administrators" and provide constructive feedback to new hires

Sheppard Pratt Health System2013-07-21