Sheppard Pratt Health System Nurse Reviews | Glassdoor

Sheppard Pratt Health System Nurse Reviews

Updated Jul 1, 2019

Found 12 reviews

Harsh K. Trivedi, M.D., M.B.A.
  1. "Clinical Services Systems Specialist"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Towson, MD

I have been working at Sheppard Pratt Health System full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great coworkers and advancement opportunities

Cons

Parking can be a problem at times.

Advice to Management

N/A

Sheppard Pratt Health System2018-04-17
  2. "Room for internal growth"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse

I worked at Sheppard Pratt Health System part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Internal growth options and training.

Cons

Lower than average RN salary for a hospital setting.

Advice to Management

Tuition assistance program increase and more competitive nursing salaries would increase nursing job satisfaction and retention.

Sheppard Pratt Health System2019-07-02

July 3, 2019Recruitment and Employment Manager

Thank you for dedicating over 5 years to working for SPHS! We value the work of all our employees and are pleased to hear you found our training and internal opportunities beneficial. We are always looking for ways to remain competitive and appreciate your suggestions. Thank you!

"Hard to review"

Current Employee - Staff Nurse in Towson, MD

I have been working at Sheppard Pratt Health System full-time for more than a year

Pros

Almost unlimited overtime. Rewarding to work with patients and seeing them improve. The individuals that are dedicated to their job and the hospital mission make coming to work a joy.

Cons

The culture here is terrible. Those who do their jobs, follow policy and work hard are victims of workplace violence daily and ostracized by the majority. The majority consist of individuals not dedicated to patient care, are motivated only by the monetary value of overtime and those that consistently cut corners placing both patients and staff at risk.

Advice to Management

Start over. Don't be afraid to replace problem staff due to staffing issues. Managers please don't hire everyone HR recommends, they are missing the mark clearly judging by the turnover here.

Sheppard Pratt Health System2018-05-03

"Depends on department you work in"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Jefferson, MD

I have been working at Sheppard Pratt Health System full-time for less than a year

Pros

I like working in the Nursing Dept. My co-workers are really nice and helpful and my supervisor has been really cool...super supportive & jumps in to help out when needed.

Cons

All departments are short staffed. Nursing pay isn't bad but I've heard direct care staff don't get paid well which is unfortunate bc they put up with the most crap.

Advice to Management

Increase pay. More training & staff education.

Sheppard Pratt Health System2017-11-04
  5. "RN"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse

I worked at Sheppard Pratt Health System full-time for less than a year

Pros

School and unit staff work as a team.

Cons

Nursing area poorly managed, do not support one another. Dangerous environment: severe injury 2 months in from a resident. Workmans comp is not compensation at all for everything you have to deal with. It is 2/3 of your pay and you are still responsible for your portion of the healthcare you have through SPHS. Then when you return you are treated poorly, mostly by nursing. I left. I also know this happened to other nurses...

Advice to Management

Hire RNs with management education to manage.

Sheppard Pratt Health System2017-04-04

"Work here if you like workplace drama and like doing the absolute bare minimum to get a check."

Former Employee - Staff Nurse in Towson, MD

I worked at Sheppard Pratt Health System full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free parking. 8 hour shifts. Starbucks in-house. Generous PTO and benefits package. Offers loads of overtime due to constant turnover.

Cons

Hostile environment. Gossip rules this place. Employees are encouraged to report each other to management instead of working things out amongst themselves first. Disconnect between clinical leadership and Human Resources. Every review here has a reply to speak to HR about issues; well I did and it ended up making everything worse. Staff-centered care and policies, "physician's orders or else" mentality with a culture...

Advice to Management

Implement training for coworkers to resolve conflict without involving management. Stop discouraging employees from seeking assistance through Human Resources. Support change and enforce the policies that govern the hospital.

Sheppard Pratt Health System2017-03-20

March 21, 2017Recruitment and Employment Manager

Thank you for your review. We value feedback from our employees!

• "Staff Nurse"

Former Employee - Nurse in Tampa, FL

I worked at Sheppard Pratt Health System full-time for more than a year

Pros

Higher than average PTO gains each pay period. Many units to choose from and internal transfers are accessible. Friendly staff, occasionally parties and celebrations by the hospital.

Cons

Staff is often required to stay an additional 8 hour shift after their shift due to staffing shortages. If you refuse they will threaten termination.

Advice to Management

Employee raises should not be the same for everyone. While I was there all employees got the same % raise regardless of performance.

Sheppard Pratt Health System2016-04-28
    • "I believe we are making a difference"

Current Employee - Nurse

I have been working at Sheppard Pratt Health System for more than 10 years

Pros

Sent me to a workshop in Indianapolis. Always looking to get better using SPIRIT. Strong values and caring staff. Supportive management. Specialized programming for specialized populations. Unit autonomy to do the best thing for that unit (not a one sized fits all treatment approach).

Cons

Change can be slow. Policies seem difficult to enforce d/t not very concrete. Seems to be a lot of staff out and FMLA use. I think some people should be let go that aren't.

Advice to Management

More communication. Policies need more teeth.

Sheppard Pratt Health System2015-08-11

September 1, 2015Recruitment and Employment Manager

Thank you for your feedback! At Sheppard Pratt, SPIRIT (Sheppard Pratt Improvement Resources Inspired by Toyota) allows us to see potential problems as opportunities for improvement. These initiatives are person centered, outcomes oriented, and data drive. We pride ourselves as ...

• "They provide freedom to move around the hopsital to help employees determine a well-fitting role ."

Current Employee - Staff Nurse in Towson, MD

I have been working at Sheppard Pratt Health System full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits, plenty of hours to work, flexible schedule options, adequate training & continuous education. Decent leadership and opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Employees who do not deal well with psych patients are tolerated. They need to better enforce rules about therapeutic communication.

Advice to Management

Continue offering opportunities for growth & advancement. Reconsider limit on per diem hours and overall staff pay scales.

Sheppard Pratt Health System2015-03-28

September 1, 2015Recruitment and Employment Manager

Thanks you! We encourage our employees to apply for any internal transfer opportunity for which they are qualified and are happy for our employees who find promotional opportunities in the health system! We are lucky to be able to provide opportunities for continuing education both ...

"I used to work there."

Former Employee - Staff Nurse in Towson, MD

I worked at Sheppard Pratt Health System full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Can become very knowledgeable about how to handle aggressive patients. Some of the best co-workers around.

Cons

Managers tend to bully those under them; if it's reported, goes back to managers doing bullying. No support from Human Resources. Don't work there if you are idealistic.

Advice to Management

Really need to take an interest in day-to-day experience of direct care workers. Search out those who are being bullied; don't wait for them to report it.

Sheppard Pratt Health System2013-08-04