Sherwin-Williams Reviews in Cleveland, OH | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sherwin-Williams CEO John Morikis
John Morikis

Pros
Cons
  • Terrible work life balance working at a manufacturing plant (in 123 reviews)

• Upper management "shoving" unrealistic goals down the pipeline (in 151 reviews)

1. "Wonderful company to work for"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in University Heights, Cuyahoga, OH
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in University Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They promote within which give gives each employee equal opportunity for growth. Our managers care about the advancement to higher roles for each new employee.

Cons

Each location is a bit different as far as customer base, I believe you must have thick skin to do what we do.

"Culture, Opportunity for Growth and Philanthropic Contribution"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

During my search for the perfect opportunity by which I could build a career, I visited, and informally interviewed many employees to get their take on the position, company, and life that resulted as a whole. Regardless of whether he was a janitor, or well-established in the upper rung in the corporate hierarchy, I could not find anyone with anything negative to say. The pay and benefits? Fantastic for entry-level and people who work well, are promoted 1-3 positions every few years from the information I gathered. I've just begun, but it appears to be the best choice I've made.

Cons

None, so long as you aren't adverse to providing excellent service and lifting gallons of paint (who needs a gym membership? 🤗)

Advice to Management

Continue promoting and expanding upon the principles already established

3. "Review"

Current Employee - Oracle Financial Functional Analyst in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Oracle Financial Functional Analyst in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good place to work at

Cons

nothing to say at this moment

5. "IT Analyst"

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, good managers, and laid back environment

Cons

Old school and not cutting edge technology. Projects move slow.

6. "Intern"

Current Employee - Intern in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Intern in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly environment; opportunity to gain meaningful experience in an industry-leading company; employee-centric

Cons

Cleveland winters--you will yearn for Miami beaches

Advice to Management

N/A

7. "Old and uninspiring place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Sherwin-Williams full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good 401k match.
    No work pressure.
    Decent work life balance.

Cons

Old technologies.
    People doing the same thing for the last 10+ years and they plan to retire with it as well.
    Unfair policies and underhand dealing with private staffing firms, seems to employ people with fake/forged experience again and again inspite of alerting the managers.

8. "Global Supply Chain"

Current Employee - Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great career growth opportunities, training available, good company values, Many different career paths possible

Cons

Relocation to move up in company, Reorgs are often a surprise with little explanation

9. "Not enough supplys and no supplys"

Former Contractor - Floor Manager in Lakewood, OH
    Former Contractor - Floor Manager in Lakewood, OH

I worked at Sherwin-Williams as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

They have a powerful name

Cons

Hard work for barely any money

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like you wanna be treated

"Spanning nine year career..."

Former Employee - Management GSC in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Management GSC in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Sherwin-Williams full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Niche industry with limited know how and lean professional staffing has led to great promotion potential and job security within my chosen division. Ironically, one of the division's biggest weaknesses of running too lean with minimal bench strength can be one of the most empowering to the individual employee if you are willing to relocate for a lateral move or promotion. Many internal job postings for even management level positions barely get any interest. Due in large part to these factors, I was given the opportunity for promotion four times in my nine year career and it was without a doubt the biggest pro of my tenure with the company.

There a several different divisions within this Fortune 500 Company- all operate a little differently. This can offer quite a variety if things are feeling a little stale or if you wish to develop a cross functional skill set. The company is finally utilizing their free cash to grow, so this should expand those opportunities even further.

Salary and benefits is roughly commensurate for the titles one might find at most Fortune 500s.

Lastly, it's a very down to earth company. The culture promoted is generally old school grey collar work hard-play hard.

Cons

Most cons in my eyes were people/staffing (read: money) based. The company is not ready for the millennial generation. Work life balance is given very little consideration. Modern workforce trends are towards working to live, not the other way around. The IT infrastructure and governance is also a mess, forcing many positions to work harder and longer instead of smarter.

Burn out, frustration, and cynicism. It's now in abundance in the field. Despite 20%+ growth in the last six years, professional staffing has remained constant or even been reduced. Meanwhile, transactions, goals, and dashboards have only grown or been expanded upon. Something's got to give, and guess what- it's the professional's attitudes and it's toxic straight down to the average Joe Nobody.

What should be positions for the specialized or subject matter experts are getting back filled by amateurs with a year or two of mediocre performance at best. There is major brain drain and knowledge of processes is being lost, causing numerous issues with performance, quality, and service.

This is not a cutting edge company. Hell, two of the main information databases that were used as of 2015 (Stores and GSC platforms) are freaking DOS based.

Advice to Management

Niche industry with limited know how and lean professional staffing has led to great promotion potential and job security within my chosen division. It's a double edged sword and it's killing you. You are not retaining the most talented, rather you are retaining those that don't mind taking a punch and spending every day in trench warfare. You are running out of folks in the field (executive down to lower management) that truly "get it" and burning out those that used to have motivation. Cynicism is abound in the field and fewer and fewer are caring about the top-down mission.

You have countless personnel in the field that are fudging or sending misleading metrics just to avoid the butt chewing and I doubt you even realize it. However, I never blamed these folks half the time as they feel their backs are against the wall. How can any of you even possibly know who the strong or weak performers are when the environment given and resources allocated foster a hot mess.

Work life balance initiatives need to be rolled out. Do something innovative with people for a change. I've read that several companies have taken steps to cut off all email servers during certain hours outside the standard work day. There's an idea. I know I received my share after 8 pm, as well as on the weekends that made me want to bounce my phone off the cement.

If you are going to centralize, do it- but don't do it half-cocked. Put some decent investment into it. While you are centralizing all those folks, might as well at least relocate the headquarters to a respectable building if you insist on keeping it in Cleveland. Or at the very least, extend an olive branch towards employee morale and build/expand upon the parking complex. There were many headquarters employees that were actually disappointed in the acquisition announcement as there were rumors circulating on the possibility of finally transitioning to a new building. Those dreams have now died in the cash flow grab for the acquisition.

11. "Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Sherwin-Williams full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great place to work with advancement possibilities within different company divisions.

Cons

Company direction has changed over the past three years and is cloudy at best.

Advice to Management

There comes a time when you need to let the dust settle.

Showing 153 of 2,176 reviews