Sherwin-Williams Sales Associate Reviews | Glassdoor

Sherwin-Williams CEO John Morikis
John Morikis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Terrible work life balance working at a manufacturing plant (in 144 reviews)

• You will work very long hours (48 min you're required to be at the store) (in 169 reviews)

1. "Cover the earth"

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate

I worked at Sherwin-Williams (More than 3 years)

Pros

benefits and pay is good. good people and days go quickly

Cons

stuck in the past

Advice to Management

innovate things other than products

2. "Excellent company"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Crowley, LA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Crowley, LA

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent management. Great benefits even for part timers. Higher than most retail settings starting pay. The work is just plain fun. Tinting paint and lifting heavy boxes on truck days. Always a pot of hot coffee in the morning. Large water cooler for hot summer days. Lastly of course I may have forgotten to mention, A/C.

Cons

In smaller cities you may be twiddling your thumbs for up to 2 hours before your able to help another customer.

Advice to Management

Very satisfied with management no advice needed.

3. "Great experience!"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Marietta, GA

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great experience really learn a lot. Much opportunity to grow. was raised up around the company and has a uncle who is still a sherwin williams store manager. Awesome company to work for

Cons

Was on the road a bit for deliveries, but that was the fun part because i got to ride and listen to music and learn my way through town and on the interstate.

Advice to Management

Could be more positive rather than down all day not really wanting to serve the customers looking at it more a job rather something they love doing enthusiastically, this is not for everyone just some people who loves their job and open to advice and want to grow. overall good company to work for.

4. "great loved the staff and the customers"

Current Intern - Sales Associate (Part-Time) in Springfield, VA
    Current Intern - Sales Associate (Part-Time) in Springfield, VA

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

401k plan flexible hours and great management team very family oriented environment and betters yourself as a sales associate and a better person

Cons

language barriers with certain customers which can make it difficult to understand but nothing else after that is necessarily a con

5. "Fun job, many small flaws"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Escanaba, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Escanaba, MI

I worked at Sherwin-Williams part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay, I started off at $10 an hour.
    Fun job, it's exciting help customers find the perfect product for their project.
    Coloring paint and customer service is a piece of cake.
    All information you need is available to you whether it's in a book at the store, on the training website, or the customer service help number you can call.
    Pretty laid back when you aren't unloading boxes.
    Good work/life balance. You don't feel like a slave.

Cons

Employee treatment. I started off at $10 an hour while a girl who worked there for a year was still at minimum wage. Obviously this was good for me but i can only imagine how she felt.

Strenuous activity. A few days a week you spend the day unloading boxes of 4 gallons of paint and climbing the ladder to stack them. Normally I'd be doing this by myself for 4 hours and struggled with climbing the ladder and lifting the boxes over my head.This is the reason I was let go.

Very outdated training system. You learn everything online and then take multiple quizzes. This took me a few weeks to complete. Positive note is you do get paid for training and can watch the videos while on your shift.

No room to grow. I think this is because I worked in a small SherwinWilliams of only a few employees, but there was no advancement opportunity mentioned or available. The manager had worked there for years and had hired a great friend of hers as the assistant and another good friend as another employee. In the end, I was let go because all three of them felt I was a liability for lifting boxes when I had no trouble unless it was for hours with no stop while they worked on tinting the paint. Tinting paint was the first thing I had learned to do.

You're required to have insurance and a vehicle to drive anytime they need you to. I would show up to work on Monday and have to leave to drive an hour or two ten minutes after I got there so I would have to hurry home and get gas money and lunch. They do reimburse for gas down the road.

Low hours. There are only so many hours to give and in a shop of 4 employees we were all fighting for the most.

Advice to Management

Do not put the workload you don't like to do on the new employees.

Put some trust in employees who are passionate in the business. I expressed great interest in interior design and customer service/marketing only to be emptying boxes and sitting at a desk watching videos.

6. "Good employment"

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Chelsea, NY
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Chelsea, NY

I worked at Sherwin-Williams part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours
    Easy to catch up on
    Not a lot of people to deal with
    Pays pretty good at start

Cons

Very slow in afternoon
    Most managers are strict
    Gotta clean places in unnecessary places

7. "Cool people to work with some of the customers are just a handful to work with."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chico, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chico, CA

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for tons of benefits. I would recommend this job for when going to school or if you really like it, it can become a career.

Cons

The customers and I mean contractors they dont really treat respect which can get on your nerves sometimes and dealing with paint all the time.

Advice to Management

You guys should really connect with every one on a personal level

8. "sales associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Richmond, VA

I worked at Sherwin-Williams part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Location was not busy enough

Cons

I dont really have anything bad to say.

Advice to Management

great management

9. "Part time"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-A good place to learn customer service skills
    -Something new to learn every day
    -Good management
    -Exciting industry

Cons

Some of the procedures are unclear but not very hard to figure out. Work is stressful sometimes but very manageable.

Advice to Management

Depends on the store. My store has very good management in both the upper and the lower levels. Overall management is good.

10. "I was a part-associate for 2 years and a full-time associate for almost 3 years."

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Intern in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Intern in Columbia, SC

I worked at Sherwin-Williams full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

decent market, everyone/every business needs paint, job security

Cons

I was with the company for 5 years and consider myself a good 'ole boy. I tried to apply outside of my district to be near the girlfriend for going on 4 years (and soon later to be my fiancé), however I was never given the opportunity to even be in the MTP (Management Training Program). I graduated college in December of 2016, despite my years of experience within the company and my degree, the job was given to a new hire directly out of college with hardly any previous work experience. Going into this company, I thought the company would respect the employees that have tenure and have stuck with them for a while, more so than a random out of company applicant. Come to find out, the hired associate had connections to the district manager somehow, proving to me that it really is who you know, not what you know.
    If you like having your weekends, this is not the place for you. You will work almost every other week AT LEAST, until you get to manage a store of your own (a feat that again, you will not get unless you know someone higher up than the store manager level). I do not recommend this job to anyone who is looking. They sucker you in with decent pay, but I promise a few grand less and no weekend work is the way to go. I have multiple friends that have either quit and/or are looking for another job, ones that are assistant managers, even a few that are managers.

Advice to Management

Respect employees that have been with the company more than new hires who do not have experience to back them up, regardless of your relationship with them or the ties they have to you.