Sherwin-Williams "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor

Sherwin-Williams Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated 2 Dec 2019

3.7
Sherwin-Williams CEO John Morikis
John Morikis
Pros
  • "Great pay good exercise good management great benefits all around fantastic place to work(in 272 reviews)

• "Good benefits and 401k employer match(in 235 reviews)

Cons
  • "long hours of operations so shifts can vary a lot(in 233 reviews)

• "There's limited help from upper management(in 220 reviews)

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews

"Part Time Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Lewisburg, PA

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams part-time for more than a year

Pros

Real Team environment. Everyone i have worked with is nice and work with you when you may not understand something. Very flexible with working schedule. Upper management is very helpful.

Cons

If you don't like dealing with people and contractors that think they know it all this job isn't for you.

Sherwin-Williams2018-11-13
  2. "Not a bad place to work"

Former Employee - Branch Manager

I worked at Sherwin-Williams full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

They offer great benefit packages

Cons

Upper management can sometimes be frustrating

Sherwin-Williams2019-11-19
  3. "Good company"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good benefits, really enjoy working with the other staff in stores and reasonable growth opportunities

Cons

Upper management can be hands off when you need to talk to them and have brushed me to the side when I wanted to discus the next steps in my career.

Advice to Management

Make time for employees when they want to discus their future with the company

Sherwin-Williams2019-12-03
  4. "Good Experience and Learning Opportunities"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Sherwin-Williams full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Plenty of room for growth and fair compensation.

Cons

Upper management is a little closed off to new ideas.

Sherwin-Williams2019-10-03
  5. "Not that bad"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Small stores ,which make things feel more like a family. More one on one time with upper management. Don't just feel like a number.

Cons

Managers that don't know how to be leaders. Seems like promoting is given not earned.

Advice to Management

Manager training programs should be longer. Throwing people into positions that they aren't ready for isn't productive.

Sherwin-Williams2019-09-28
  6. "Old corporate mentality."

Current Employee - Store Manager in Shreveport, LA

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good. company benefits. Camaraderie among store and rep level staff.

Cons

Always understaffed. Work more hours for less pay when you get into store management positions. A “what have you done for me lately” company. If you have a degree you will be under payed entering the Management Training program and the pay does not get that much better unless you move all over the country. They do not value time with the company with opportunity. Upper management has the philosophy that everyone... is replaceable.

Advice to Management

Change top management and get someone that doesn’t run a company the is stuck in 60’s

Sherwin-Williams2019-09-13
  7. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Sherwin-Williams full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice benefits, ability to speak with upper management at anytime.

Cons

Achieving bonus structure within your location.

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you do. You have some GREAT managers working for you!

Sherwin-Williams2019-08-19

"Good for Hourly / Bad for Salary"

Former Employee - Regional Manager in Buford, GA

I worked at Sherwin-Williams full-time

Pros

Sherwin-Williams takes relatively good care of their hourly employees: work environments are safe and friendly, pay is good, and benefits are unbeatable.

Cons

Salary / Exempt employees, however, live in a different world: 1) Sherwin-Williams’ goal is to extract as much unpaid overtime and work as they possibly can from exempt employees. Many management employees work 60-70 hours every week. It had become so bad in 2018 that at the annual upper management retreat in early 2019, the executive staff had to admit that “2018 was the toughest year ever” regarding management... employees being overworked, but nothing was subsequently changed! 2) Sherwin-Williams (everything behind the retail store fronts) is an accounting firm, not a retail firm or an engineering firm. Upper management can spend an entire day inside one of the large plants without ever entering operations, touching a single product, or even seeing anything outside of accounting spreadsheets. At our Baltimore operations, at the end of a demolition/construction project some years ago, some executive chose to save money by dumping literal mountains of construction debris in the back of the property. On the one occasion that I made the mistake of proposing that there is more to delighting customers than an accounting P&L, my manager aggressively yelled at me, “If it matters to the customer, it’s on the P&L; and if it’s not on the P&L then it doesn’t matter to our customers!” 3) Some in senior management positions are borderline sadists. Random orders are barked down from random high positions with zero regard for proper channels. I had one boss explain that one should take the company laptop on vacation, to the beach, so that when one is on the beach one can use the laptop and log into the office and get a few hours of work done! He called that (I’m not kidding), “a benefit!”

Sherwin-Williams2019-08-15
  9. "A great company to work for"

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay for a part time position Excellent upper management Resources for employees including contact info for managers, sales reps, and HR representatives

Cons

Hours were not always consistent Little training from store to store

Advice to Management

Establish a more consistent training program, even for part time employees just joining the company

Sherwin-Williams2019-07-27

"Bullying exists everywhere"

Former Employee - Regional Financial Analyst in Buford, GA

I worked at Sherwin-Williams full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent benefits but overworked employees.

Cons

This company used to be great to work for however, Management has become extremely greedy ever since acquisition of Valspar. The Management has started placing managers in roles they are not qualified or understand the business and do not wish to understand business. Unqualified managers belittle, and bully those who do not get the result they want without understanding complexity of the problems. Initial feedback... from managers is to turn a blind eye, belittle employees, attack their intelligence and emotional wellbeing. While this round of bullying has been occurring, encouraged by upper management, there is also no appreciation for amount of work employees do while constantly being short staffed and constant increase of workload. I had one manager tell me that I should be working more than 40 hours a week and should not have a personal life. Same boss has also explained that while on vacation, I should log in and get several hours of work completed. This according to him is considered a “benefit.” Lastly, it is not safe to discuss your opinions in this company as you will be brought down incessantly, until you leave the company. The culture has significantly gotten worse over the years and more specifically with acquisition of Valspar.

Advice to Management

Stop telling lies.

Sherwin-Williams2019-08-17