KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

ShiftWise Portland Reviews

Updated Jul 12, 2021

Found 26 of over 47 reviews

2.9
ShiftWise President of Vendor Management Solutions Eric Christenson (no image)
Eric Christenson
Talk anonymously with Healthcare professionals
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great place to work

Jul 12, 2021 - Software Engineer in Portland, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great group of people to work with.

Cons

Can get lost a bit trying to move forward.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great Business

Feb 14, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

Employee focused, Challenging, Educational Opportunities

Cons

Only difficult this is it requires hard work, but that's actually a good thing.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  3. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Serious Issues

Feb 6, 2020 - Customer Service Representative in Portland, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

It is a pay check

Cons

Horrible management and even more horrible culture

2 people found this review helpful

ShiftWise Response Team

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I’m happy to report that we’ve had a change in our leadership structure within our Customer Support team. Under their guidance and mentoring, we have experienced zero turnover in 1.5 years! Our culture has certainly changed during that time frame as well. I think you would find this to be a different organization than when you were here. I hope that your journey has landed you in an organization in which you can flourish. ~ Eric Christenson, President Vendor Management Solutions

4. 2.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Poor culture and weak leaders prevent success

Nov 13, 2018 - Senior Software Engineer in Portland, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

A well-stocked kitchen and sit-stand desks make the time there less bad than it might be. There were a lot of nice people who really did care about each other and the company.

Cons

No clear strategy. While employees were nice and cared, that didn't necessarily mean they were good or effective at their jobs. Lots of resentment of the parent company after being purchased. Many managers promoted into their positions because of duration of tenure and not skill. No support for management or leadership training. Legacy of poor technical choices by prior tech exec transitioned into a dictatorial style from new tech exec, leading to lots of confusion and no attempt to create clarity. Communication is atrocious: Former president regularly lied or misled in his statements. The new tech exec regularly sends emails to entire engineering staff that are just a link absent any context or other information. Despite asking for outrageous notice from outgoing employees, nearly the entire engineering staff was unceremoniously laid off after being told to come in for a strategy meeting. The strategy meeting was never actually held: it was a complete pretense. The organization has developed such a poor reputation in the technical community that they've begun advertising positions under the parent company name instead of their own. The parent company, AMN, has an obvious lack of technical understanding and expertise, and their leadership has no idea how to manage product development.

9 people found this review helpful

ShiftWise Response Team

I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and experiences. My team and I are fully committed to providing a strategic roadmap which is in line with the structure of our organization, and the needs of our valued customers. I’m confident we are on the path to a much brighter future for our technology team at ShiftWise. Thank you ~ Eric Christenson, President Vendor Management Solutions

5. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

A company always going through growing pains

Sep 9, 2018 - Software Engineer in Portland, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

* Complimentary coffee, beer, soda, flavored waters and snacks * Great location * Standup desks * Lots of natural light * High Health Savings Account and 401K company contributions

Cons

* Open floor plan * "Obey us" attitude from engineering executive and some managers * Toxic work environment caused by above but blamed on people who speak up * Unflexible start time and confusing work from home policy * Cut vacation time without compensation and constantly resisting raises; they don't keep up with Cost-Of-Living.

9 people found this review helpful

ShiftWise Response Team

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences and thoughts with me. I fully agree with your assessment, ShiftWise does have a positive outlook. We are underway in creating a better cadence in how we approach the work which is presented to the teams. I have full confidence we will overcome the many challenges that faced us during the 2018 year. Thank you ~ Eric Christenson, President Vendor Management Solutions

6. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Incapable, Insufficient, Inept

Sep 28, 2018 - Dev in Portland, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

* Snacks & Soda for days * Good location with an OK view * Pretty good benefits package * Decent hardware

Cons

* Stunningly bad leadership * Generally hostile atmosphere * Old & Uncompetitive product * Parent company is completely out of touch with reality * Failure & Accountability always falls on the shoulders of the employees * Terrible work-life balance (long nights, weekends, etc)

11 people found this review helpful

ShiftWise Response Team

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I’ve been working with the leadership team to address some of the concerns you have outlined. I’m confident we are well on our way to a brighter future here at ShiftWise. Eric Christenson, President Vendor Management Solutions

7. 5.0
    Current Employee

ShiftWise has a bright future

Aug 5, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

There are a lot of smart, caring people at ShiftWise, and I love coming to work every day. The software industry can be volatile, and those who understand this appreciate the course corrections that have been made. No company is perfect, but I see great things in ShiftWise’s future.

Cons

Employees who have a hard time dealing with change and act like victims disrupt those who are working hard to make ShiftWise the best it can be.

3 people found this review helpful

ShiftWise Response Team

Thank you for your review. I agree we do have a bright future here at ShiftWise, thanks to the many talented team members we have working with us! Change is difficult, whether in professional or personal settings. The leadership team certainly appreciates your support as we journey into the next evolution at ShiftWise. Sincerely, Eric Christenson, President, Vendor Management Solutions.

8. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Dynamic, entertaining, nurturing.

May 17, 2018 - Software Developer in Portland, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of learning opportunities: AWS, docker, Angular, C#, ServiceStack, .NET Core, Linux, microservices, document databases, Postgres, Jasmine, etc Very motivated employees, working hard to be successful. Market leader. Promising product. Flexible working hours; WFH. Lots of snacks in the kitchen. Subsidized parking places. Good teamwork.

Cons

Challenging timeline. A bit too fearless in embracing new technologies.

1 person found this review helpful

ShiftWise Response Team

Thank you for your commitment to our organization! I am looking forward to what the future holds for ShiftWise, as we work towards building a stronger foundation with team members like you. Thank you ~ Eric Christenson, President, Vendor Management Solutions

9. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Company, technology and culture - Under construction

Apr 22, 2018 - Developer in Portland, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great office, friendly people, no shortage of investment from company but more transparency of where, willing to pay for training, lunches, new tools and hardware. Paid parking or mass transit. Talk of investing in people. A few are seeing it. Management is no longer forcing people to work 24/7. Additional staff are being provided to help make technology better. Important roles are being created that haven’t existed for a while. Technology leadership is no longer chasing shiny objects. Unreasonable dates are being unraveled to make them obtainable. Accountability is growing with increasing transparency. Sales keep coming in.

Cons

Change is hard. A lot of people have quit over the last few months. Several people are underpaid even while management is working on improvements. Not everyone is happy with the changes. There is a lot of technical debt, because management forced the new product to be released without understanding what a real platform it. Product management seems overwhelmed. Lots of hand-rolled processes and technology need to be replaced. Lots of false promises about raises, titles and other benefits (5 weeks of vacation from day one was promised) from previous leadership that have never come true. Health benefits could be a bit better.

7 people found this review helpful

ShiftWise Response Team

Thank you for sharing your experience. We are growing as a company and I appreciate that you understand the change that occurs with growth. On one hand it can be exciting and on the other it can be challenging. I am deeply committed to transparency and sharing what I know with the employees as early as I am able to. I agree that investing in our employees is important and a priority for me as we move forward. If you wish to share any further thoughts or solutions you see, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me at eric.christenson@shiftwise.com. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts. Eric Christenson, President, Vendor Management Solutions.

10. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Welcome to the Machine

Mar 25, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

• The company kept its smart but relaxed start-up culture even after some major growth spurts and merging with AMN Healthcare—until mid-2017. • Though I know it goes against the opinions of others here, my interactions with the CEO have been largely positive. I believe he’s sincerely devoted to the success of the company and individuals within it and is working his proverbial tail off to make this a reality. His “open door” policy is the real deal. • There are some really amazing individuals working at ShiftWise, especially the long timers who have routinely gone well above and beyond for the company as well as their team mates. Most people will jump to help you even when their plates are overflowing. • There are, if you’re positioned just right, opportunities to pick up and play with new technologies and grow as a developer. • Nice view of Mount Hood on a sunny day.

Cons

• A Budget for Some - For my profession a typical company of this size would put aside at least $10k/year for the team to succeed. My team’s budget over my five years: barely a grand, maybe two. If you can't get the right tools you'll either have to write them yourself during the evenings and weekends or count on open source tools which may or may not suit your needs. Not exactly a mature software company in this respect. • Hard-Ware - Developer laptops are underpowered; the Dell track pads are terrible. Not to mention how often the corporate software bricks them. • Career Opportunities Maybe - Very few opportunities to grow into leadership positions unless you’re a natural extrovert and are willing to spend the significant portion of your time climbing the corporate ladder. Leadership positions often felt randomly filled by those who kept their direct reports walking on eggshells, not to those demonstrating interest AND demonstrating competency in those areas. • Technical Debt Inbound - Never time to work on technical debt except outside of regular work hours though it’s been growing in leaps and bounds. That or you'll spend all day getting out the duct tape to hold the house of cards together. If you're not working 50 - 70 hour work weeks just trying to keep systems from imploding you're never going to catch up. • Culture as a Four Letter Word - A previously blame free culture has over the last year devolved into a culture of finger pointing and back stabbing that is tolerated if not passively encouraged by management. Assigning blame instead of taking responsibility for one's mistakes is now the norm. The blameless culture that was ShiftWise in previous years is completely gone. A few bad apples have made the culture extremely toxic. After a year of this I simply hated driving to work in the mornings and went as far as to actively avoid contact with the toxic fruit. • HR Violations - Harassment and bullying is often disregarded by management. Don't expect complaints of HR violations to get any traction. Worse, you may end up feeling like a trouble maker if not eventually getting written up for not being a team player. Rocking the boat can be career suicide now. • Death Marches to Nowhere - Every development team has been on a series of death marches since January of 2017. Every month developers are promised this is a one time, short term event, yet every month new projects are tossed in team's laps, often without the budget or time allocation to succeed. I have not, in my entire professional career, experienced so much mental and physical burn out. • Work Life Balance? See previous bullet. • A Recipe for Success: Integrity and Trust - Plenty of other spot on examples here at Glass Door so I won't share mine, but it shouldn't come as a surprise that the GD ratings have been gradually falling since the summer of 2017. Integrity and trust, or a lack thereof at times, are the biggest problem the company faces. True, it's important to keep clients, but that's not exactly going to be easy if you've betrayed the trust of the employees that build the company's products. • Compensational Angst - Developers are routinely paid at the extreme low end of Portland area averages yet expected to work late, weekends, and be on call. Many have been promised raises only to find we don't get them when the time comes around. I did not get a single vacation during the entire year of 2017 though I was regularly working 50+ work weeks. All of us have lost weeks of promised PTO worth thousands and thousands of dollars to boot. Don't expect integrity when it comes to compensation, that's as gone as the original company culture. • The Chopping Block — Nearly everyone’s head could be on it without notice or reason these days, something nearly everyone I’ve spoken with privately has admitted has kept them up at night. Colleagues are going MIA left and right, permeating the culture with a sense of fear. A handful of my colleagues have literally become ill as a result. • The straw that broke the camels back - I’ll simply say I’ve never chosen to leave a company before, always loyal to the end, but insult was added to injury during a time in my life where I was particularly vulnerable. First time I’ve resigned from a job, first time I’ve reached out to legal counsel to protect my rights as an employee, first time I’ve watched a company loose it’s heart and soul. I respectfully disagree with those who say it’s because of a merger; that’s an easy out. I believe it happened because slowly, over months and years, the culture, starting at the top and trickling down to the bottom, forgot the basic fundamentals of integrity, trust, respect, honor, valuing all individual contributors, and the importance of building community. Shiftwise used to be a family. Now it’s a menagerie of anxiously pacing animals. • Final Rating - Two stars. One for some amazing employees worth working nights and weekends with and for. Another because, despite more recent obstacles, I was able to make some pretty awesome contributions over the years which grew me personally and professionally.

12 people found this review helpful

ShiftWise Response Team

I’d like to personally thank you for taking the time to voice your opinion. I can see by your response that you feel strongly about a number of points. Rather than responding to each point here, I would like to invite you to correspond with me directly. I want to be clear that I am taking the responses I am reading very seriously and would welcome the opportunity to communicate further. I understand the desire to remain anonymous and would invite you to email however you feel comfortable. I can assure you that any communication between us will be held in the strictest of confidence. I can be reached at eric.christenson@shiftwise.com. Thank you again for bringing these concerns to my attention. Eric Christenson, President, Vendor Management Solutions

Viewing 1 - 10 of 26 Reviews