KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Add a Review

ShiftWise Reviews

Updated Jul 12, 2021

Found 47 of over 47 reviews

ShiftWise President of Vendor Management Solutions Eric Christenson (no image)
Eric Christenson
  1. 1.0
    Current Employee

Worst company I've ever worked for

Aug 6, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Every other job you ever have will look better in comparison Good location Free coffee and snacks Can work remotely (sometimes)

Cons

Management is about as transparent as a slab of concrete. The recent flood of positive reviews? Those aren't real. Management realized Shiftwise's reputation was awful on Glassdoor, and instead of taking the feedback seriously, they seeded the page with positive reviews and told employees at a company meeting to submit positive reviews too. It's pretty easy to tell the reviews are fake when they insult the employees and fawn over management. Company refuses to pay market rate, so you'll be underpaid by thousands (sometimes tens of thousands) No opportunity for growth and advancement Future of the company is uncertain Leadership does not listen to employees, no matter how much they claim to High turnover - people are constantly quitting or being let go Horrible communication about company goals, initiatives, progress and changes Obvious favoritism from many managers

19 people found this review helpful

ShiftWise Response Team

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences related to ShiftWise. I am really sorry that your experience at ShiftWise did not match our intention of being the best place you have ever worked. I recognize that our organization is going through a significant change at the moment. During times of transition, it’s sometimes hard to see the clear path forward. If you are open to discussing your experiences further and ideas for solutions, please reach out to me via email or phone. As you are a current employee I would welcome the opportunity to have further dialogue related to the cons that you have outlined and see how we can course correct, specifically as it relates to you. Thank you ~ Eric Christenson, President Vendor Management Solutions

2. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Terrible Environment

Aug 4, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

There are some really great people that work there. Sadly, most have been fired, "let go" or have quit. Snacks and drinks provided. Great location downtown.

Cons

Upper management spins everything. Even when the product is failing and customers are leaving there is always an excuse as to why. Employee retention is laughable. Lower level employees are treated like unintelligent children. Encouraged to not speak up about anything. Upper management tells their subordinates who not to hang out with because it doesn't "look" good. They are after people that wont speak their minds, have no opinions, and wont question anything/anyone.

11 people found this review helpful

ShiftWise Response Team

Thank you for sharing your experience. I agree with you that there are some really great people at ShiftWise. I’m sorry that our efforts did not meet your expectations. That said, I’m thankful that you took the time to share your opinions so that I and the rest of the leadership team can reflect and identify ways to ensure our team members feel valued, are confident in sharing their opinions, and ensure they are heard. If you would like to discuss any of your concerns in more detail, feel free to contact me directly at eric.christenson@shiftwise.com. Eric Christenson, President, Vendor Management Solutions.

3. 4.0

Dynamic, entertaining, nurturing.

May 17, 2018 - Software Developer in Portland, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of learning opportunities: AWS, docker, Angular, C#, ServiceStack, .NET Core, Linux, microservices, document databases, Postgres, Jasmine, etc Very motivated employees, working hard to be successful. Market leader. Promising product. Flexible working hours; WFH. Lots of snacks in the kitchen. Subsidized parking places. Good teamwork.

Cons

Challenging timeline. A bit too fearless in embracing new technologies.

1 person found this review helpful

ShiftWise Response Team

Thank you for your commitment to our organization! I am looking forward to what the future holds for ShiftWise, as we work towards building a stronger foundation with team members like you. Thank you ~ Eric Christenson, President, Vendor Management Solutions

4. 4.0

Company, technology and culture - Under construction

Apr 22, 2018 - Developer in Portland, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great office, friendly people, no shortage of investment from company but more transparency of where, willing to pay for training, lunches, new tools and hardware. Paid parking or mass transit. Talk of investing in people. A few are seeing it. Management is no longer forcing people to work 24/7. Additional staff are being provided to help make technology better. Important roles are being created that haven’t existed for a while. Technology leadership is no longer chasing shiny objects. Unreasonable dates are being unraveled to make them obtainable. Accountability is growing with increasing transparency. Sales keep coming in.

Cons

Change is hard. A lot of people have quit over the last few months. Several people are underpaid even while management is working on improvements. Not everyone is happy with the changes. There is a lot of technical debt, because management forced the new product to be released without understanding what a real platform it. Product management seems overwhelmed. Lots of hand-rolled processes and technology need to be replaced. Lots of false promises about raises, titles and other benefits (5 weeks of vacation from day one was promised) from previous leadership that have never come true. Health benefits could be a bit better.

7 people found this review helpful

ShiftWise Response Team

Thank you for sharing your experience. We are growing as a company and I appreciate that you understand the change that occurs with growth. On one hand it can be exciting and on the other it can be challenging. I am deeply committed to transparency and sharing what I know with the employees as early as I am able to. I agree that investing in our employees is important and a priority for me as we move forward. If you wish to share any further thoughts or solutions you see, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me at eric.christenson@shiftwise.com. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts. Eric Christenson, President, Vendor Management Solutions.

5. 4.0

Don’t fear change

Apr 27, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexibility, leaders listen to us, promote a fun culture, seems like opportunity to grow Company is going through a lot of needed change

Cons

Passive agressive, victimized, demanding team members Top leaders could do a better job making us feel okay with all the changes Product management is poor

5 people found this review helpful

ShiftWise Response Team

Thank you for sharing your experience as an employee at ShiftWise. I am pleased you feel heard by leadership and enjoy the uniquely exciting culture cultivated by our employees. It is true that the technology business is often evolving and I appreciate your recommendation for more communication to help navigate future change. I believe the foundation of any good business starts with open and transparent communication with employees. I am personally committed to ensuring this is a mainstay of the organization now and in the years to come. Thank you again for sharing your experience. Eric Christenson, President, Vendor Management Solutions.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great company to work for!

Apr 26, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fun, fast paced, rewarding, optimistic, talented employees, and transparent management.

Cons

We're a tech company, so processes change often - need to be flexible and quick to learn :-)

4 people found this review helpful

ShiftWise Response Team

Thank you for bringing your enthusiasm to ShiftWise. As a growing technology company in the healthcare space, we are no strangers to a changing environment. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts on transparency and flexibility and believe we are moving in an exciting new direction. Eric Christenson, President, Vendor Management Solutions.

7. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Fine Company

May 7, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Culture, friendly, company provided snacks and beverages

Cons

Lack of internal communication , Healthcare benefits

1 person found this review helpful

ShiftWise Response Team

Thank you for sharing your input into the experiences you had working at ShiftWise. I agree with you that there is a special culture at ShiftWise that is often not found in other companies. The people are friendly as well as dedicated. I acknowledge there have been some miscommunications. We are actively making changes to avoid this going forward. If you have any further thoughts you’d like to share, email is eric.christenson@shiftwise.com. Thank you again for sharing your perspective. Eric Christenson, President, Vendor Management Solutions.

8. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good Leadership is Key

Apr 25, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Remote - Work from home opportunities - Travel opportunities - Unlimited time off - Flexible schedule - Supportive direct manager - Client-facing relationships with healthcare organizations, as well as staffing agencies - Opportunity to lead projects - Opportunity to perform QBRs - Nice equipment (laptop and multiple monitors) - Pay is nice - Fun

Cons

- Lack of professional, personal, and academic development - Lack of experienced leadership from top down/Lacks at developing leaders - Being forgotten and neglected...that's a crappy feeling and unmotivating. - Lack of support from senior leadership - Feeling unimportant/unappreciated or not valued by leadership - No corporate procurement cards for travel expenses - No benefits, no room for growth, no full time employee status, no job security - Unclear rules for hourly employees vs salary - Clients have too much power over processes - No push back on duties that should only be required of the client, not us (Too much "Yes" to satisfy the client and, not enough "No" for things that are beyond the line of being part of a different company) - Client-facing relationships are not always good and can become extremely challenging when they are rude or frustrated, as they will take things out on you - Organizational restructuring is depressing and has seriously hurt the morale of employees within a short period of time - No on-site or direct human resources department for the company...some practices are questionable and need an HR brain to assist, not the parent company - Outdated technology that is struggling to perform - Late delivery and lack of organization in certain departments - Not being respected as a professional and again, feeling like I don't matter...I didn't feel like the organization valued me and I felt like I was being used.

4 people found this review helpful

ShiftWise Response Team

Thank you for sharing your perspective and your experiences. I agree that good leadership is, indeed, key to success. I am concerned about some of the points you have made regarding the feeling of neglect and lack of development opportunities. This is not part of the values we hold and I am personally interested in learning more of your thoughts. I would like to invite you to contact me directly for an opportunity to share more insight into your thoughts. My email is eric.christenson@shiftwise.com. Alternately, feel free to use the ShiftWise intranet “Questions for Executives” if you’d like to share anonymously. Thank you for bringing these concerns to my attention. Eric Christenson, President, Vendor Management Solutions.

9. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Welcome to the Machine

Mar 25, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

• The company kept its smart but relaxed start-up culture even after some major growth spurts and merging with AMN Healthcare—until mid-2017. • Though I know it goes against the opinions of others here, my interactions with the CEO have been largely positive. I believe he’s sincerely devoted to the success of the company and individuals within it and is working his proverbial tail off to make this a reality. His “open door” policy is the real deal. • There are some really amazing individuals working at ShiftWise, especially the long timers who have routinely gone well above and beyond for the company as well as their team mates. Most people will jump to help you even when their plates are overflowing. • There are, if you’re positioned just right, opportunities to pick up and play with new technologies and grow as a developer. • Nice view of Mount Hood on a sunny day.

Cons

• A Budget for Some - For my profession a typical company of this size would put aside at least $10k/year for the team to succeed. My team’s budget over my five years: barely a grand, maybe two. If you can't get the right tools you'll either have to write them yourself during the evenings and weekends or count on open source tools which may or may not suit your needs. Not exactly a mature software company in this respect. • Hard-Ware - Developer laptops are underpowered; the Dell track pads are terrible. Not to mention how often the corporate software bricks them. • Career Opportunities Maybe - Very few opportunities to grow into leadership positions unless you’re a natural extrovert and are willing to spend the significant portion of your time climbing the corporate ladder. Leadership positions often felt randomly filled by those who kept their direct reports walking on eggshells, not to those demonstrating interest AND demonstrating competency in those areas. • Technical Debt Inbound - Never time to work on technical debt except outside of regular work hours though it’s been growing in leaps and bounds. That or you'll spend all day getting out the duct tape to hold the house of cards together. If you're not working 50 - 70 hour work weeks just trying to keep systems from imploding you're never going to catch up. • Culture as a Four Letter Word - A previously blame free culture has over the last year devolved into a culture of finger pointing and back stabbing that is tolerated if not passively encouraged by management. Assigning blame instead of taking responsibility for one's mistakes is now the norm. The blameless culture that was ShiftWise in previous years is completely gone. A few bad apples have made the culture extremely toxic. After a year of this I simply hated driving to work in the mornings and went as far as to actively avoid contact with the toxic fruit. • HR Violations - Harassment and bullying is often disregarded by management. Don't expect complaints of HR violations to get any traction. Worse, you may end up feeling like a trouble maker if not eventually getting written up for not being a team player. Rocking the boat can be career suicide now. • Death Marches to Nowhere - Every development team has been on a series of death marches since January of 2017. Every month developers are promised this is a one time, short term event, yet every month new projects are tossed in team's laps, often without the budget or time allocation to succeed. I have not, in my entire professional career, experienced so much mental and physical burn out. • Work Life Balance? See previous bullet. • A Recipe for Success: Integrity and Trust - Plenty of other spot on examples here at Glass Door so I won't share mine, but it shouldn't come as a surprise that the GD ratings have been gradually falling since the summer of 2017. Integrity and trust, or a lack thereof at times, are the biggest problem the company faces. True, it's important to keep clients, but that's not exactly going to be easy if you've betrayed the trust of the employees that build the company's products. • Compensational Angst - Developers are routinely paid at the extreme low end of Portland area averages yet expected to work late, weekends, and be on call. Many have been promised raises only to find we don't get them when the time comes around. I did not get a single vacation during the entire year of 2017 though I was regularly working 50+ work weeks. All of us have lost weeks of promised PTO worth thousands and thousands of dollars to boot. Don't expect integrity when it comes to compensation, that's as gone as the original company culture. • The Chopping Block — Nearly everyone’s head could be on it without notice or reason these days, something nearly everyone I’ve spoken with privately has admitted has kept them up at night. Colleagues are going MIA left and right, permeating the culture with a sense of fear. A handful of my colleagues have literally become ill as a result. • The straw that broke the camels back - I’ll simply say I’ve never chosen to leave a company before, always loyal to the end, but insult was added to injury during a time in my life where I was particularly vulnerable. First time I’ve resigned from a job, first time I’ve reached out to legal counsel to protect my rights as an employee, first time I’ve watched a company loose it’s heart and soul. I respectfully disagree with those who say it’s because of a merger; that’s an easy out. I believe it happened because slowly, over months and years, the culture, starting at the top and trickling down to the bottom, forgot the basic fundamentals of integrity, trust, respect, honor, valuing all individual contributors, and the importance of building community. Shiftwise used to be a family. Now it’s a menagerie of anxiously pacing animals. • Final Rating - Two stars. One for some amazing employees worth working nights and weekends with and for. Another because, despite more recent obstacles, I was able to make some pretty awesome contributions over the years which grew me personally and professionally.

12 people found this review helpful

ShiftWise Response Team

I’d like to personally thank you for taking the time to voice your opinion. I can see by your response that you feel strongly about a number of points. Rather than responding to each point here, I would like to invite you to correspond with me directly. I want to be clear that I am taking the responses I am reading very seriously and would welcome the opportunity to communicate further. I understand the desire to remain anonymous and would invite you to email however you feel comfortable. I can assure you that any communication between us will be held in the strictest of confidence. I can be reached at eric.christenson@shiftwise.com. Thank you again for bringing these concerns to my attention. Eric Christenson, President, Vendor Management Solutions

10. 1.0

Textbook Organizational Dysfunction in Full Bloom

Apr 18, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

The most positive aspect of ShiftWise is the group of hard-working, kind individuals who have managed to survive without selling-out to the toxic senior leadership team nor have thrown their peers or subordinates under the bus.

Cons

Cons are the toxic senior leadership team headed by the President, Steven Rodriguez, comprised of his team of soul-sucking VPs. It’s fascinating to watch this textbook example of bad leadership unfold. An insular bubble protects the decision-makers, who task their subordinates to name team members that will not subjugate themselves. Leaders who refuse to report subordinates on an arbitrary basis are eliminated themselves. The leaders are always right and anyone who suggests otherwise is mercilessly struck down. The President’s Open Door Policy will take you to a slippery slide leading out the back door. The exit is shameful. Rather than firing staff (because of fear of legal retribution), they “lay you off” without notice. This is done on purpose to humiliate. The leadership team follows textbook examples of toxic leadership: 1. Workload for account managers is setup for people to fail. As AMs leave (which they often do), they distribute the accounts to the remaining members who are already managing too many accounts. When they can’t keep up, they are bullied and made to feel like failures. 2. Open positions are most often filled by outside candidates found through an exhaustive search process; ignoring strong internal staff that apply and wait for a chance to advance. 3. Leadership monitors office conversations and asks for feedback; however, they respond to concerns using old fashioned propaganda emails and sale pitches rather than telling the truth. There is very little transparency. 4. Senior management's workplace routines and rituals, such as calling too many meetings, demanding unnecessary reports or projects without sufficient clarification or support, and calling for unwarranted firings undermines employees' initiative and instills a culture of fear and isolation. Finally, the BIG CON is that the current software is defective and the new version doesn’t work well enough to be rolled-out. Painful for the developers and engineers that are doing their best under sub-par leadership objectives which are constantly changing.

13 people found this review helpful

ShiftWise Response Team

I wish to thank you for the time you took to share your opinion. We are in agreement that there are some wonderful people working at ShiftWise and we are fortunate to have them. In regards to your thoughts on leadership, I want you to know that I am taking these matters seriously and would welcome the opportunity to gain further insight on your experience. My email is eric.christenson@shiftwise.com. Thank you again for bringing these concerns to my attention. Eric Christenson, President, Vendor Management Solutions

Viewing 11 - 20 of 47 Reviews