Shinola Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 27, 2019

3.2
Tom Lewand

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great discount, laid-back working environment, nice HQ people get really impressed by fa" (in 3 reviews)

• "Great team, great environment, everyone treated with respect, good benefits (free company watch)" (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "Directors and upper management are snotty and believe they are too good for most" (in 4 reviews)

• "No room for advancement, retail schedule, no clear direction, allocations, unrealistic goals, no employee appreciation" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Amazing , to see the growth and production excited and always encouraged"

Pros

Opportunity to work with a fast growing company.

Cons

Management at my time was difficult

Advice to Management

N/a

"Okay Company"

I have been working at Shinola part-time

Pros

Good values, decent benefits, good training

Cons

Corporate doesn't follow their own company values and don't actually care about retail workers

3. "Incredible Story, Incredible Opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I have been working at Shinola full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team selling atmosphere and culture

Cons

Company is changing rapidly and it will affect core values

"Corporate Management is a mess"

Current Employee - Corporate Employee in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Corporate Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Shinola full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are no pros for such an unorganized company.

Cons

From an outsiders view, people believe Shinola to be an awesome place to work, until you get into corporate and see how unorganized and messed up this place really is. Management within most departments of corporate are TERRIBLE. You sit there an wonder if these individuals are even qualified and how they got hired. Directors and upper management are snotty and believe they are too good for most. Everyone around is trying to fit in to the "hipster" look, which is quite sad. The company is not performing well anymore due to consumers being bored of the products and the story. They are struggling to keep this brand alive, as most outsiders do not see. Store managers and employees from the retail standpoint see management from corporate as a joke because they are so unorganized. Also, metal watch bands come into stores with "Made In China" on them, which is opposite of what this brand tries to stand for. Miscommunication between individuals is an everyday issue and nobody really knows there place/role because there is so much cross over. Management needs to be wiped clean in many departments within corporate. I'v never seen a more terrible, unorganized and unknowledgeable set of people within one company.

"Stay far away!!!"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Auburn Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Auburn Hills, MI

I worked at Shinola part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None whatsoever job was horrible in every way

Cons

I worked at shinola for less than 2 months at which point I decided to leave. This decision was made due to a number of factors such as lack of communication between management. I feel that I was descriminated against because of my weight and height and recall being told that I was “intimidating” and “not a good fit for this position” by several of the managers. Working at shinola reminded me of being in high school with the amount of gossip and childish behavior demonstrated by a majority of the staff. I also had a hard time selling $20 quartz watches for $300+ However I was by no means bad at it and would average more than $3000 in sales every shift. They really try to push teamwork however this job was anything but. On several occasions certain employees would ring up high dollar sales for me but give themselves credit for it which did not sit well with me. Would not recommend this job to my worst enemy.

Advice to Management

Clean house definitely needs new staff

6. "Keyholder"

I have been working at Shinola (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, atmosphere, products and story!

Cons

There is no cons at the moment!

"White male driven company who does not care about their employees."

I worked at Shinola full-time

Pros

Got to build a clientele of customers who I worked with after.

Cons

White male driven company. The gossip drives the company. If you’re not the cool kid, you get bullied into doing the bad work. Corporate doesn’t know their way out of a paper bag. Many people tell you different things and nothing ever is resolved, so you have to take things into your own hands.

Advice to Management

This isn’t high school and a popularity contest, hire diverse employees, and actually know what’s going on within the company.

8. "Love the company, love my job!"

Current Employee - Key Holder in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Key Holder in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Shinola full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I feel great working for an American brand that was built solely to create jobs.
    I absolutely love what we have done for the city of Detroit, and in our industry. We've created over 600 jobs since inception, and are raising the bar in quality and design for lifestyle brands.
    Shinola is unlike any retail brand that I have worked for in the past. The relationships between corporate and the store-level are so close, it is nice to have a direct line of communication. In fact, it is not rare to have our CEO, Regional Manager, or Training Team pop in to our store just to say hello.
    I also appreciate that you can trust upper-level management to work with you on any ideas or concerns you may have.
    For the Ann Arbor location specifically, our current Store Manager is someone you will feel good working for.
    There are opportunities for growth internally, upper management and HR take their time to ensure both the candidate and the position are right for each other.

Cons

We are a young company, so at times, there may be a few obstacles that we face as far as allocation or even SOP's. But, what is great- we all work hard together to solve any obstacles we may face.

9. "On the right track"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I worked at Shinola full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Modern, open office space that breathes the Shinola style.
    Top management listens to concerns and ideas.
    Promotes from within.
    Immense room for growth in the US and worldwide.
    No experience in manufacturing or assembly needed - training provided!

Cons

Too many chiefs making their own decisions without consensus.

10. "Seeks to grow talent"

Current Employee - Continious Improvement Coordinator in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Continious Improvement Coordinator in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Shinola full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Still a small business, so can be dynamic and interesting. Seeks to grow talent from within. Has a great relationship with the public, so you can feel good saying where you work.

Cons

Not a small business for long, growing increasingly rigid in roles.