Shinola Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 3, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Tom Lewand

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Company to work with"

I worked at Shinola full-time

Pros

It was a pleasure working for Shinola. I will always recommend someone to work for Shinola.

Cons

Sometime long shift or overtime.

2. "Quite literally the worst employer I've ever had"

I worked at Shinola full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great employee discount, funny coworkers

Cons

Upper management was awful, Human Resources was a joke, raises were a slap in the face, manager didn't take anything seriously.

Advice to Management

Take your jobs seriously and be considerate to the people who have worked hard for you for years.

3. "Good benefits, great culture"

I worked at Shinola full-time

Pros

Great company to work for. Healthy culture, everybody's happy

Cons

No complaints on my end

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing

4. "Great sense of teamwork"

Former Employee - Designer in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Designer in Detroit, MI

I worked at Shinola full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great, hard-working, genuine coworkers. Solid core of experienced people.

Cons

Management of certain departments still needs some ironing out.

5. "Very rewarding and satisfying retail experience. Management has a vast knowledge of retail acumen/management."

Current Employee - Key Holder in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Key Holder in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Shinola full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Luxury and high priced items cater to a certain targeted demographic and this appeals to me, specifically.

Cons

Because it is a start up in a sense, launched in 2011, there is a high urgency to get things right and value each customer as they should be valued.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

6. "Love my job!"

Current Employee - Watch Assembler in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Watch Assembler in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Shinola full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been working at shinola for almost 3 years and I love it! I feel really appreciated by the company and 50% off is amazing! I love having holidays off

Cons

Every company has their flaws but it's not bad to where things stick out like a sore thumb!

"Need management change"

Former Employee - Bike Assembler in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Bike Assembler in New York, NY

I worked at Shinola full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits. Pretty decent salary.

Cons

Management is messy. Disorganized. Company is growing so fast you'll get lost in the noise.

"It will tear your body down!"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I worked at Shinola full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great discount. Amazing atmosphere. You will meet and interact with everyone who's anyone. Coworkers are all lovely people! Quality products!

Cons

Your feet and body will hurt every single day. VERY short lunch breaks for an 8 hour shift and no real enforcement of 15 min breaks. Standing constantly on cement floors is HARD! This will break your spirit.

Advice to Management

Why so many managers/keyholders?

"Woefully disappointing experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Pros

Employee & friends/family discount
    Not much else unfortunately. A big disappointment.

Cons

- Extremely limited growth potential. Shocking for a growing company. If you aren't buddy/buddy with Tom or senior management, forget building a career here.
    - Compensation and benefits are both below market rates.
    - Systems and procedures are all manual and full of minutiae, which actually represents the majority of the work there. Don't be confused by actually working on anything meaningful.
    - Current and former employees and their performance, character, etc. are all openly discussed, berated, judged, in front of other employees. Highly disrespectful, antagonistic, and juvenile work environment.

"Assistant Store Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Shinola full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The group that I worked with were really inspiring to be around. They were very dedicated to their roles and really welcomed me in. It was not a high volume store and was definitely a much slower store than my last location however the team really made the most of every day which made all the difference for me. I've made great friends through this experience.

Cons

Shinola is expanding too quickly for its own good. It is so unorganized that our team was completely left to fend for itself. HR did the best it could but without the support of corporate leads it was pretty much a struggle to work there daily. They didn't research the city codes or state laws in terms of proper overtime payment. The lead merchandiser had no concept of employee safety when it came to merchandising the store. No matter how many times we tried to get support it fell on deaf ears. When the corporate team did eventually come to do a store visit they didn't speak about anything business related. There was no walk thru there was no talk of how the business was doing; I only talked about the weather with them. It was pretty complexing as to what they were even there for other than to approve paying our parking tickets because they couldn't figure out how to get us permits to park in the city for over two hours in one spot. We literally had to leave the store to move our car every two hours. It was unbelievable. I stayed there for the short time that I did because my SD was amazing. She did an amazing job at keeping the store afloat despite the lack of help from the corporate level. Eventually the entire store quit after a visit from the founder who was not only rude but ended up firing one team member out of the four working there because she wasn't "on brand". It was a disgusting misuse of power and the team finally felt that it was no longer a positive environment and that the company really was not all about "bringing jobs back to America"; but about an image. Retail is a materialistic world but working for this company was supposed to be about connecting with people and sharing this great brand when in reality it all felt like a big sham after meeting the people behind the company.