Shipco Transport Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

1. "Friendly atmosphere"

Former Employee - Profit and Loss Analyst in Hoboken, NJ
    Former Employee - Profit and Loss Analyst in Hoboken, NJ

I worked at Shipco Transport full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I like working with Shipco because it is friendly environment and very international.People came from different place you will enjoy the diversity in import export company like Shipco.

Cons

The salary did not rise for 2 year and repetition work.

Advice to Management

Rise salary every year.

2. "FCL Exports"

Former Employee - Logistics Clerk in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Logistics Clerk in Houston, TX

I worked at Shipco Transport full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, hours, working conditions, and end of the week beers. Attire is business casual but some supervisors are militant about sandals.

Cons

Open favoritism in the office, depending on many aspects, including advancement for "party" girls. Degrading employees in front of everyone in the office.

Advice to Management

Take some HR classes

3. "Very disappointing work experience"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Cape Coral, FL
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Cape Coral, FL

I worked at Shipco Transport (More than a year)

Pros

Experience. Most staff and many middle managers very considerate.

Cons

No reviews for entire nearly 3 year employment, poor moral and very little consideration of employees satisfaction. Double standard for managers in following HR procedures. Compensation below average.

Advice to Management

Have some consideration for your employees and treat them with some respect.

"Horrible place to work"

Current Employee - ------ in Hoboken, NJ
    Current Employee - ------ in Hoboken, NJ

Pros

Some of employees friendly
    No other pros

Cons

The cheapest company ever
    Management gets all the credit
    Pure discrimination of employees
    Fake people
    Lowest pay rate
    No promotion

"Good place to learn as much as you can, then move on."

Former Employee - Import in Clifton, NJ
    Former Employee - Import in Clifton, NJ

I worked at Shipco Transport full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Relaxed environment. Great bar, good place to learn all aspects of the industry. Certain managers are great and helpful.

Cons

Stressful, stressful. No increases, lots of false promises, certain managers literally get away with all kinds of harassment and slavedriving and literally are not qualified for their jobs. Many workers there for 10 plus years with terrible work ethic that's engrained into the culture now.

Advice to Management

Take real note of those that are actually working hard and reward them.

7. "Not the best"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hoboken, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hoboken, NJ

I have been working at Shipco Transport full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Family oriented, each office has a bar, friendly people

Cons

Too many red tapes, some of upper management gets all the pie, always claim they are not doing well.

Advice to Management

INTERACT WITH THE EMPLOYEES AND LISTEN TO THEM. All of the competition is literally taking the employees and paying more

"Living hell but learned a lot."

Current Employee - Import Operations in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Import Operations in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Shipco Transport full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good stepping stone for the industry, great co-workers, okay medical benefits depending on which plan you pick, free dental, low cost vision plan, there's a bar in the office; opens on some Fridays free to the employees. Many people do make mistakes and I still have not seen them fired, so that may be a plus to some people, not me, that was annoying.

Cons

Pay is horrible for the amount of work you do, workload and deadlines are extremely stressful, management does not help in the areas that are needed at least in my department, extreme high volume with little bit of staff to efficiently run everything smoothly, is not worth to do overtime here; overtime starts 15 minutes AFTER your initial shift is over, so you're working for free for that time period, their excuse is the 45 minute lunch we get and then they don't allow you to stay long afterward so it's pretty much free overtime the first 15 minutes and then what you do work is taken away in taxes, so it's really not worth it in the end... just go home and save yourself the trouble and time. They pretty much rarely fire anyone here so the only job advancements you'll make is if any girl leaves because she's choosing to stay home after having a baby, someone dies, or they quit.

Advice to Management

Hire more personnel for the amount of volume you are receiving. It's not that the person can't do their job, but the volume in files for a big port like LAX, needs more personnel for everything to run smoothly. This is a big complaint from nearly every employee that works there to date.

9. "FCL Export"

I worked at Shipco Transport full-time

Pros

Good atmosphere, independent responsibilities. If you work hard, they will give you more responsibilities. You can move up quickly.

Cons

My one and only issue was the salary, no raises and if there was, it was very very minimal. Created a negative attitude in the workplace.

Advice to Management

Reward hard work and pay employees higher salaries. It will in turn make employees work harder and more sufficiently which equals better business and industry reputation.

10. "Import Clerk"

I worked at Shipco Transport full-time

Pros

Close to freeway, funny general manager

Cons

Pay is too low for the global industry it represents. Close to McDonalds.

Advice to Management

Focus on management, that means analyzing the work of the leader in the department, yes that includes the supervisor itself, to ensure that the work environment is positive and friendly. The supervisor I worked under had a BFF in our small department and they would alienate themselves from the rest of us on a daily basis. It brought about a bad vibe within our department because it made us feel like it was high school all over again. A productive work environment comes from a happy work environment and that dosen't happen when there is favoritism and a lack of empathy and maturity from leaders.

"Sales rep"

Pros

Overall nice friendly people.

Cons

No available sales tools or professional growth initiatives; not supportive with trying to use new technology. Corporate management is disconnected from the branch level. More worried about throwing a good party than anything else.