Shire Reviews | Glassdoor

Shire CEO Flemming Ornskov, MD
Flemming Ornskov, MD

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Relentless schedule - no work / life balance (in 33 reviews)

• Upper management was always having turnover before I left (in 28 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Interesting work. Good compensation and benefits."

Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Lexington, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Lexington, MA

I have been working at Shire full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good team spirit and management, at least in my current orbit in Process Development. Good culture; profitable company with interesting and challenging work. Good compensation and benefits. My department management is good and supportive, and we work as one team. Resource planning is actively managed.

Cons

Currently re-organizing internally. Just had major layoff (in Vienna sections) and future events not known. So don't be surprised if departmental re-orgs happen.

Shire Response

Nov 15, 2017 – Global Talent Acquisition Leader, Technical Operations & Corporate Functions

Thank you very much for your comment! We are happy to hear your feedback about Shire. Employees like you are what help make this a great organization.

"Excellent place to grow your career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Shire full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great on the job development. For those who work hard and want to grow there is no shortage of opportunities to step up and do more and stretch out of your comfort zone. A place you can truely build your resume, be rewarded for hard work, and meet many talent people.

Cons

Direction changes regularly and vision is not always clear. Can be tough to navigate some of the change.

Expected to accomplish big things in little time frames which can lead to moments of burnout. However there is a degree of flexibility as to where and when the work gets done which helps...just get it done on time!

Advice to Management

Create a compelling vision and shared values.

"Change is NOT progress, there's a reason the stock has tanked"

Current Employee - Director in Lexington, MA
    Current Employee - Director in Lexington, MA

I have been working at Shire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Dedicated people. Diverse portfolio. Patient focus is clearly evident in many teams. People kill themselves to get projects and programs done on time and with far fewer resources than at our competitors. A lot of dedicated leaders work hard to help their people be able to focus on their work by buffering them from the insanity coming from the top.

Cons

Always asked to do more with less. CEO tolerates bad behavior from sycophants and punishes good people that disagree with him. Constant integrations mean little real investment in key infrastructure, so employees are bogged down in bureaucracy and trying to get stuff done using failing or under-resourced systems. Baxalta was a mistake and though the portfolio is busy today, the pipeline is terrible.

Advice to Management

Paying millions to move to Cambridge where very few employees actually want to go is dumb. It's asinine when you're also telling people not to order coffee for meetings due to budget constraints. We send people to Cambridge when ExCo will be there so the halls won't look as empty as they normally do. Our emperor has no clothes but no one is allowed to tell him. That's dangerous. Settle on a strategy and stick with it, show some focus and discipline. If anyone was actually surprised by the anemic engagement scores, that shows a horrifying lack of self-awareness. Be embarrassed. Do better.

"Could be better"

I have been working at Shire full-time

Pros

Good pay and great benefits. The work is interesting.

Cons

Leadership seems to somehow lack the necessary field experience. They do not recognize or reward good performance but instead time served. Lots of stealing of credit and ideas as well as stepping on others to get ahead.

Advice to Management

Recognize and support those below, by doing so they will support you.

"A Difficult Spot to Be In"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, MA

I have been working at Shire full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pay is good, benefits are good (although not as good as they were before the Baxalta integration), people are generally friendly and relatively competent.

Cons

Integrations between two dissimilar businesses are very difficult to pull off, and Shire / Baxalta is no different. There is still a significant culture clash between legacy Shire and legacy Baxalta sites, which causes a lot of unnecessary friction. Capital project execution is still largely a mess, and there is increasing pressure to do more and more without focussing on the fundamentals of doing this kind of work. OE methods can work on the manufacturing floor, but don't do much for dynamic project execution. Shire feels less and less like a biotech and more like an industrial pharma company.

Advice to Management

Support the people who do the work. Stop with the aggressive OE rollout. Focus on making a great company instead of short term share price increases. There's too much work to be done, and we need high employee engagement if we're going to be successful. Arrogance is no way to drive that engagement.

"Shire Review - Culture and leadership"

Pros

The company is expanding and new products are in the pipeline, allowing more customers to be impacted and helped. It's a great place to get into the industry and learn about the processes of a GMP environment.

Cons

The culture of the company since its recent acquisitions is in a state of flux. There is confusion on the direction of the culture and leadership structure beyond the current year. Additionally many local functions are becoming center led, taking the flexibly of decision making from the site level. It is disheartening to see many good leaders leave due to lack of empowerment.

Advice to Management

Develop personnel, advance and allow sites to lead themselves. Guidance and plans should be given at a high level with the flexibility to allow persons to manage their areas.

7. "Manager"

I have been working at Shire full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Commute, opportunity, change, site capacities, development

Cons

Much change however lots of opportunities as well

Advice to Management

Change management

"Good place to work despite Leadership"

I have been working at Shire full-time

Pros

Gain lots of experience in several functions.
    Good group dynamics.
    Source of knowledgable highly experienced coworkers

Cons

More work than people.
    Unsure as to whom is responsible for what.
    Leadership is shaky.
    Integrations are a headache.

"Team Leads are Great/Upper Mgmt Needs to Listen"

I have been working at Shire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Team leaders, location leaders and immediate work team culture is strong and encouraging.

Cons

Healthcare benefits are poor for a health care company, lacks ability for high degree of career movement, and upper management is not a learning management team - fairly arrogant.

Advice to Management

Listen more, don't think that you have all the right answers (that's 70's mgmt. style), look to be creative with talent movement and enhance your communication with investment community.

"Great teams but terrible culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Shire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people I work with on my team are the best reason why I have stayed at this company for over two years

Cons

We are grossly underpaid compared to other pharmaceutical companies. This is a result of legacy baxalta/baxter, originally a medical device company. We are being paid like a medical device company.

Advice to Management

If you don't pay your employees more, they will continue to jump to other companies. Our retention rate at Los Angeles is terrible.