Shiseido Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Shiseido President & CEO Masahiko Uotani
Masahiko Uotani

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • ressantes, mutli-marques, relative autonomie pour le contact avec les prestataires (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is very lean and employees have heavy workloads, not great for work-life balance (in 5 reviews)

• No work-life balance, staff are given a lot of responsibilities but not remunerated well (in 3 reviews)

1. "Equipment operator"

Former Employee - Equipment Operator in Groveport, OH
    Former Employee - Equipment Operator in Groveport, OH

I worked at Shiseido full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay for easy work

Cons

Really not to many besides the warehouse being to small for the capacity of product

Advice to Management

still attain a good open door policy for associates

2. "Good company"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Spartanburg, SC
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Spartanburg, SC

I have been working at Shiseido full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, gratis, casual atmosphere

Cons

Work holidays, have to cover shifts if someone calls out due to small staff

Advice to Management

Good management

3. "Not great management"

Former Employee - Database Administrator in Rutherford, NJ
    Former Employee - Database Administrator in Rutherford, NJ

I worked at Shiseido full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

flexible, easy work, nice commute, clean building, friendly people

Cons

micromanagement to the MAX, low salary, no room for growth

Advice to Management

STOP MICROMANAGING

"This place is a joke, terrible management, low pay, avoid at all costs"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Occasional free products and/or samples. Ground-breaking anti-aging products, if that is what you’re interested in.

Cons

Horrendous, unqualified, and unprofessional leadership and management, toxic culture that is promoted from the top, hard work goes unnoticed, very low pay. They have low budgets for everything, but expect an amazing level of work to be done. Will only favor and keep those that are favorites and have been there for a long time, even if they are not qualified.

Employees regularly steal full sized products from the company’s Public Relations closet. High benefits cost, low gratis compared to other companies. Completely agree with the other reviews that stated how badly they treat you once you decide to leave. I was also meet with disrespectful, manipulative behavior, and bullying in the end. And the management acts like they are doing you a favor. Also witnessed and overheard demeaning behavior to other employees, such as threatening not to pay them, announcing pay rate in front of the whole department, etc. Daily tantrums from management. So many difficult people to work with.

They act like they are elitist and experts who know what they are doing, but they have no idea. The only people who stay here are the ones who cannot get a job anywhere else. This place is a joke at best. Please take this and others advice, stay away from them.

Advice to Management

Realize there is something wrong when you cannot attract or even retain top, hard working talent when it comes through your door. Many top management and leadership need to be let go because they are creating a terrible culture and/or resisting the change for the company, its culture and talent to grow in a positive direction. HR should be more visible and available to listen and take action when concerns about certain individuals are brought to them.

"Production Specialist"

Pros

Was a good culture when it was Bare Escentuals

Cons

Bad transition, no sense of urgency in transition

6. "Fragrance Model"

I worked at Shiseido part-time

Pros

Great pay and flexible hours - hit your sales numbers and there are no issues

Cons

The position is part time. In order to gain more hours, you need to produce

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing - great position

7. "Im a happy and satisfied person at work."

Current Employee - Region Rotator
    Current Employee - Region Rotator

I have been working at Shiseido part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love how flexible my job is, in terms of picking the locations and dates their is provided to me. I love to come into the doors and support the counters help the counter people to achieve their goals. Love to come into work and look pretty knowing people is looking at me and wish they had the same skin like I got from using the products. Love how the company recognize all hard workers and their super star.

Cons

I wish my position would have offered me health benefits. The only reason I can work on this postion is because I get health insurance thru my husbands job.
    Also I wish their was more consistency in terms of hours, still hoping someday this position would offer me fulltime.

Advice to Management

maybe offer more trainings to top sellers. product training is offered a few times a year but their is not enough selling techniques during does seminars for newer people.
    the beauty adviser does not always look like the Shiseido image, Coordinators and management should reinforce the importance of what Shiseido represent.
    makeup trends is important, but knowing the trends is not enought our beauty adviser should be trained on makeup skills as well ( like back in the days when they got beauty seminars).
    getting the facial certificate is not enough to service the customer, customer is today very savy they expect more. the world has change and so have our customer. If Shiseido now is going thru a revolution then we need to prepare the counter people so they have the skillset it needs to compete with other brands.
    budget is important. But investing in the counter people will benefit the company in the longer run. maybe offering programs for potential employees that really want to grow within the company. Instead of keep that super star to that region( or store)only,why dont we try to train them all to become top seller. skills can be trained by the right trainer. Dignity and royalty is not trainable. once you have those people, keep them don't let go, invest in those for the company's future.
    Dignity and royalty combine with a skillset. That would be the Ideal and the key for enternity success.
    turnover is too high why is people leaving? we need to find out? keep hiring and training new people is costly.
    I tried to made this as short as possible. My new position with this company is only a little over 1 year. but I have been with the company for 6 + years now. have been on the Shiseido stand-lone (shiseido boutique) and department stores. Seen both side and how different they both are.
    Shiseido Boutique really invest in their people, Turnover their is not as hight, services provided from those stores are outstanding and that is the reason why they can compete against Shiseiso at the department stores.

"Planning"

I worked at Shiseido full-time

Pros

Stable work day. Engaged Employees. Passionate manager.

Cons

Hard to advance beyond set promotions

9. "Its ok"

I have been working at Shiseido part-time

Pros

I work for them inside of Macys. Its fine for the mkst part, with the exception of thr sales goals. We're not really in a great area for the brand to do well, although the products are amazing. There is pressure to book facial massage appointments or atleast do make overs. The gratis we get is nice. The training is comprehensive. I guess your experience all depends on foot traffic and customer familiarity with the brand. Mine is at about 7.5/10. We do get commision as long as we sell beauty products. Honestly i make more money selling other brands than i do my own.

Cons

Macys pretty much makes you add people to a client list and they want you to be honest about your client lists purpose... but when youre honest, nobody wants to give their number. So youre stretching the truth often. Or bribing with samples. Or something.

Advice to Management

Medical notes from the doctor should be taken more seriously. If a doctor says that we shouldnt work for 2 days, we should be able to not work for two days without having to lose points or be forced to use sick time, which is hard enough to accumulate as it is. Attendance points should be easier to accumulate as well. A half point per every 2 weeks on time? And then 2 points taken off weekend absences? I understand youre trying to discourage people from calling out, but thats a bit drastic dont you think? Especially at the rate you're making us earn them. For a company that swears to be like a family, you sure are stingy when it comes to sickness and attendance. How can you be proud of employing so many family women and then penalize them for being late due to issues regarding childcare? AND THEN GOSSIP WITH ASSOCIATES ABOUT IT?!

Sorry to rant, but working for macys can be a bit unbearable sometimes. Shiseido alone is quite nice.

Also, stop promoting people to cosmetics managers when theyve never actually worked for cosmetics. Our department finally got someone who was a counter manager for a brand we carried, from another location, AND SHES WONDERFUL. A BREATH OF FRESH AIR.

Or try to promote from within. Its upsetting for employees to constantly see their peers passed over for opportunities that they would excel in.

"Quality Assurance Lead"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Lead in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Lead in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Shiseido (Less than a year)

Pros

perks include free merchandise around the holidays

Cons

very disorganized front office management

Advice to Management

focus more on full time employees instead of opting for cheap temporary associates