Shive-Hattery Reviews | Glassdoor

4.8
Jim Lee

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Architect 1"

I have been working at Shive-Hattery full-time

Pros

Great workplace, good people, very amicable environment.

Cons

Heavily engineering focussed, however that can also be considered a pro.

Advice to Management

Still need time to develop an advice

"Best Job I've Ever Had"

Current Employee - Structural Engineer in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Structural Engineer in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at Shive-Hattery full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

One of the best career decisions I ever made was coming to Shive-Hattery. After almost a decade living and working in Chicago, my wife and I were starting a family, looking for a more balanced life, and looking for a new adventure. After a couple years here, I’m at a place where I have several more hours a day with my family and have taken control of my career path. I choose the projects I work on based on my interest in them, from performing arts centers and restaurants, to manufacturing facilities and beyond. Perhaps the most fun for me is being given the opportunity to generate relationships with new clients, helping create new business that supports us all. The respect that employees show each other makes working days fun, and the horizontal corporate structure makes growing your own brand within the company a freeing and empowering journey

Cons

I can't really think of any. There are times when schedules heat up and the hours get longer, but that's true for any A/E firm. At least here they pay you for your overtime on the occasions where you have to work it so you feel your time is valued!

"Fun Place to Work!"

I have been working at Shive-Hattery full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've had an awesome career at Shive-Hattery experiencing lots of change over 27 years. I've developed through many different roles receiving positive support to grow professionally since day one. Being part of a high-performing team is very exciting and rewarding. There is always something new to interest and challenge me.

Cons

I've had a very good experience working here and no cons to share.

4. "Hands-down the best place I have ever worked"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Shive-Hattery full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been with SH for the majority of my 20+ year career. I cannot imagine a better place to grow your skills and develop your own client base. The structure of the organization is very fluid and flexible which allowed me to experience many different roles within the organization so that I could hone my skills and find a place inn the business that I am very happy with.

Employee ownership possibilities and straight-time overtime for professional staff are fantastic benefits on top of regular profit sharing distributions if we achieve our profitability goals as a company.

SH also offers great flexibility on work schedule and part-time status for people who have family commitments that they need to honor.

Cons

There really are no cons with working here.

"Professional Development Opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Shive-Hattery full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Shive-Hattery fosters a learning and teaching culture that provides numerous opportunities for professional development. I appreciate support to attend seminars and conferences to further my career as well as the internal education programs like the Leadership Development Program (LDP). It's why I've invested most of my career here.

Cons

None that I can think of

"Great Work Life Balance"

Pros

I've been able to have a great work-life balance at S-H. S-H has provided a rewarding career, with lots of opportunities for growth without requiring sacrifice of my family time. They are flexible, have consistently shown a high level of trust and have always treated me as a professional. The work environment is great; the people here truly enjoy working together, and I look forward to coming into work most days.

Cons

I can't think of any

"Good stable company"

Current Employee - Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Shive-Hattery full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The company is very flexible with personal time. The company is very open with their financials and performance on projects.

Cons

Salary is average to low, poor mentoring program, very limited upward mobility, small bonuses, no real reward for going the extra mile or outperforming your peers, the company is very flat in the regards.