Shive-Hattery Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Jim Lee

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Architect 1"

I have been working at Shive-Hattery full-time

Pros

Great workplace, good people, very amicable environment.

Cons

Heavily engineering focussed, however that can also be considered a pro.

Advice to Management

Still need time to develop an advice

"Working here was GREAT!!, when I first started..."

Former Employee - Telecommunications Designer in Joliet, IL
    Former Employee - Telecommunications Designer in Joliet, IL

I worked at Shive-Hattery (More than 10 years)

Pros

Interesting projects to work on.

Cons

Office politics, upper management seem oblivious to whats actually going on in the trenches.

Advice to Management

Upper management should pay better attention the the people doing the actual work.

"OK for a while but no advancement opportunity"

Former Employee - Architect
    Former Employee - Architect

I worked at Shive-Hattery full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

low pressure work environment, good work/life balance

Cons

Shive-Hattery is big on their process. A lot of talented up and coming staff have left because new and innovative ideas are not always welcome. There is also a lot of internal politics.

Advice to Management

Be willing to listen to new ideas and change even if it means taking risks. You afford to lose your most talented and hardworking staff just to keep people comfortable.

"Best Job I've Ever Had"

Current Employee - Structural Engineer in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Structural Engineer in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at Shive-Hattery full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

One of the best career decisions I ever made was coming to Shive-Hattery. After almost a decade living and working in Chicago, my wife and I were starting a family, looking for a more balanced life, and looking for a new adventure. After a couple years here, I’m at a place where I have several more hours a day with my family and have taken control of my career path. I choose the projects I work on based on my interest in them, from performing arts centers and restaurants, to manufacturing facilities and beyond. Perhaps the most fun for me is being given the opportunity to generate relationships with new clients, helping create new business that supports us all. The respect that employees show each other makes working days fun, and the horizontal corporate structure makes growing your own brand within the company a freeing and empowering journey

Cons

I can't really think of any. There are times when schedules heat up and the hours get longer, but that's true for any A/E firm. At least here they pay you for your overtime on the occasions where you have to work it so you feel your time is valued!

"Great place to work!"

Pros

This company is truly about the employee first. They invest heavily in their engineers to ensure continued career growth, and provide those engineers with the tools necessary to complete the job at a high level. They really want their employees to succeed, and provide every opportunity for them to do so.

Cons

I honestly cannot think of any cons.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. It's a great atmosphere with plenty of opportunities for career growth!

"Fun Place to Work!"

I have been working at Shive-Hattery full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've had an awesome career at Shive-Hattery experiencing lots of change over 27 years. I've developed through many different roles receiving positive support to grow professionally since day one. Being part of a high-performing team is very exciting and rewarding. There is always something new to interest and challenge me.

Cons

I've had a very good experience working here and no cons to share.

7. "Hands-down the best place I have ever worked"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Shive-Hattery full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been with SH for the majority of my 20+ year career. I cannot imagine a better place to grow your skills and develop your own client base. The structure of the organization is very fluid and flexible which allowed me to experience many different roles within the organization so that I could hone my skills and find a place inn the business that I am very happy with.

Employee ownership possibilities and straight-time overtime for professional staff are fantastic benefits on top of regular profit sharing distributions if we achieve our profitability goals as a company.

SH also offers great flexibility on work schedule and part-time status for people who have family commitments that they need to honor.

Cons

There really are no cons with working here.

"Professional Development Opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Shive-Hattery full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Shive-Hattery fosters a learning and teaching culture that provides numerous opportunities for professional development. I appreciate support to attend seminars and conferences to further my career as well as the internal education programs like the Leadership Development Program (LDP). It's why I've invested most of my career here.

Cons

None that I can think of

"Great Work Life Balance"

Pros

I've been able to have a great work-life balance at S-H. S-H has provided a rewarding career, with lots of opportunities for growth without requiring sacrifice of my family time. They are flexible, have consistently shown a high level of trust and have always treated me as a professional. The work environment is great; the people here truly enjoy working together, and I look forward to coming into work most days.

Cons

I can't think of any

10. "Beware"

Former Employee - Designer in Bloomington, IL
    Former Employee - Designer in Bloomington, IL

Pros

They only pros that I can think of, it is a great place to get your start. They offer a decent wage and have decent benefits. But, you will never get very far with this company. They claim to promote from within, but seldom do, unless you are a stock holder (which Designers will never be)

Cons

The management structure of Shive-Hattery is horrible. The previous CEO, the Office Managers, and the HR Department, are unethical, pre-historic mindset and policies. Department Management claims to support you, but don't when you need it. Company was ran by "self help" book enthusiast, used those principles (forced people to read certain books) but never ran the company with those ideas. They do NOT care about you, your family, or your personal/work life, your health, or your concerns. They do not use employees as assets, they use them more like mules. Do not take suggestions, won't even listen, to ideas. (although, every year they hold a questionnaire, to get feedback from their employees, but nothing ever changes. After you leave the company, be prepared to be black balled, they will go to extremes to see you no longer work in your location, in your field.

Advice to Management

Change management, at all levels. get younger leadership, with new ideas, care about employees, listen to the results of the questionnaire (which employees know the company knows what you answer in your "confidential" questions, so they answer them, to avoid speaking the truth, because of repercussions. Now that Mr. Lee is CEO, and Mr. Hayden has finally stepped down, as the OLD Office Managers retire, reflect on the practices and policies. With new management, allow new ideas. Utilize employees for all they can bring to the table, not just how many hours you can force them to work, how many multiple projects at one time, and how much you can milk out of them, before they break. 70 Hours a week is the norm, appreciation is never shown. The only people who advance, are the brownnoser's, not the people who do the majority of the work. Reverse every policy Hayden ever installed, you may have happy employees.