Shoe Carnival Reviews | Glassdoor

Shoe Carnival Reviews

Updated June 3, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Shoe Carnival President, Chief Executive Officer and Chief Merchandising Officer Clifton E. Sifford
Clifton E. Sifford

Pros
  • Full time means working at least 32 hours a week (or it may be 31 (in 17 reviews)

• Fun environment with freedom to make an impact (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, not much advancement in the company when starting out as an associate (in 19 reviews)

• upper management plays favorites (in 17 reviews)

1. "Good for a First Job, Not for an "Adult" job"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Mentor, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Mentor, OH

I worked at Shoe Carnival part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discount Shoes, First pick, Depending on which store can be a pretty chill environment, a good first job

Cons

That darn wheel, you never see upper management, upper management plays favorites

Advice to Management

Stop with the "Favoritism" crap.

2. "Can be better"

Former Employee - Lead in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Lead in Richmond, VA

I worked at Shoe Carnival part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discounts
    Works with schedule (flexibility)
    Coworkers (sometimes)

Cons

The demand for reward cards are getting to be impossible and management telling you that you suck if you do not meet the goal so people stop caring and trying.
    Management could do more to help with the store but does not and comes down on associates when the store looks bad. COOPERATE DOES NOT CARE ABOUT EMPLOYEES. Not once on their visit have I been asked in my 3+ years working there, if everything is okay in there, can there be improvements, or if I am okay in general. I only stuck around to finish school and I left when I did.

Advice to Management

Help out more with the store especially when it is busy.

3. "I love working here!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Newport News, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Newport News, VA

I have been working at Shoe Carnival part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My coworkers are all nice, helpful and hardworking
    Stress free work environment
    Customers are generally polite
    Organized
    Shoes are pretty to look at all day

Cons

Getting people to get a rewards card is difficult sometimes. They are either unwilling to provide and email, are too busy/in a rush, "not from around here", don't buy shoes very often, etc...

Advice to Management

Make the rewards cards more appealing, maybe. 5% off your purchase when you sign up! Something immediate.

4. "More cons than pros, unfortunately."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Shoe Carnival full-time

Pros

Moving up is possible, due to management frequently leaving. As long as they don't overlook you for a mistake made years prior.

Cons

Treatment of employees is horrible. From PT hourly up to FT salarmed management, you're not treated like a valued part of a team.

Advice to Management

Allow room for errors. It's human nature to make mistakes. Give them room to grow from the mistakes, and not wash your hands of them. Constant turnover, harms productivity.

"Floor Supervisor"

Former Employee - Floor Supervisor in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Floor Supervisor in Dallas, TX

I worked at Shoe Carnival full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

After a few months of working full time the PTO and holiday pay are decent. And if you work overtime it can be really nice if you are not salaried. Co-workers were great, however....

Cons

Upper management (i.e. district and regionals) seems to care very little about the welfare of the management members it oversees. General Managers are put under an enormous amount of pressure and have to hit so many goals large and small that it overwhelms them. These goals have to be met while payroll gets slashed to the bone and GMs practically have to kill themselves to take up the slack. GM pay seems decent and so does the pay for part-time associates. Pay for floor supervisors and assistant managers is a joke though with MINISCULE yearly pay increases (1-2 percent) even after a decent review. Experiences may differ from region to region, but by and large one should carefully consider working here if you want to feel truly valued.

Advice to Management

Stop focusing so much on the things your employees were not able to accomplish and place more emphasis on rewarding them for the things they do. If the standards you have are not being met consider compensating your key management team members more fairly (not just your store and general managers). This can go a long way to keeping morale high; happier employees will make for happier customers.

6. "Assistant Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Lewisville, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Lewisville, TX

I have been working at Shoe Carnival full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Full time work, always stay busy, health insurance, I'm the boss.. always hiring.

Cons

Some people don't show for their shift.

7. "The Shoe Carnival Work Experience"

Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at Shoe Carnival part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The staff at the Shoe Carnival I worked at had an extremely enjoyable staff and management that did care about the associates. The general manager worked well with strained availability due to school and tried their best to balance out hours.

Cons

The regional manager always micromanaged the general manager and probed deeply into how things were run. The regional manager also began to run things the way he felt things should be ran and based my eligibility to keep my job based on meeting a certain percentage of conversion "Shoe Perks" cards

Advice to Management

Please allow your General Managers to perform the job they are hired to do without having a Regional Manager micromanage and run things as if they were a General Manager.

8. "Assistant Store Manager"

Current Employee - ASM- Assistant Store Manager in Shreveport, LA
    Current Employee - ASM- Assistant Store Manager in Shreveport, LA

I have been working at Shoe Carnival full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good on working with your schedule if you are in school or have kids.

Cons

Customers can sometimes be very rude.

9. "Okay place to work"

Former Employee - Cashier in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier in Austin, TX

I worked at Shoe Carnival full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Had great co-workers, immediate managers wanted to help in sales.

Cons

Upper management was uninterested in hourly employees.

Advice to Management

Care more about your employees.

10. "Assistant Store Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Store in Seymour, IN
    Former Employee - Assistant Store in Seymour, IN

I worked at Shoe Carnival full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The job itself is fun. Although a lot of repetitive tasks, if the people you work are easy going and like to have fun. It can be a good time everyday. Most of the customers are great and as long as you put out a fun upbeat vibe, the will respond in kind. Everyday can be as fun and exciting as you make it.

Cons

Each day can be torture if you are unfortunate enough to work under a manager that is more concerned with how they look to you their superiors than their team and their customers. It would be a great place if ever levels could see some of their store managers for the rude, self-serving, manipulators they are it would be the bomb.

Advice to Management

Be careful which employees you choose for an ally. Just as you belittled those under you to feed your ego and try to claim sole credit for the consistant efforts of strong, solid performing team, unbeknowst to you, that "ally" may very well be your Judas. But hey I guess when you take pleasure in speaking to people in a such a demeaning and condescending manner, you have it coming. Treat others as you would like to be treated. Else you might find yourself being treated just as poorly.

Shoe Carnival Response

Mar 21, 2017 – Field Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your review and your ten years of employment. We really appreciate your hard work and experience with this great company. I am glad you had fun working for Shoe Carnival and ensured the ... More