Shoe Carnival Reviews | Glassdoor

Shoe Carnival Reviews

Updated July 20, 2017

1.0
Shoe Carnival President, Chief Executive Officer and Chief Merchandising Officer Clifton E. Sifford
Clifton E. Sifford

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good People, can be a fun environment (in 18 reviews)

• Full time means working at least 32 hours a week (or it may be 31 (in 17 reviews)

"Assistant Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Owensboro, KY
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Owensboro, KY

I have been working at Shoe Carnival full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The PTO is nice

Cons

Where to begin... customers can easily get a better discount than employees if the wait for the right time ( bogo plus coupons beats employee discount). Corporate pressure on getting reward card goals is nearing questionably legal. Management does the jobs of minimum of 2 people from what it was just a few years ago. Pay is meager until you reach store manager level. Regional managers are out of touch. Self serving general management in several cases. Plenty of negative motivation and little to no positive. Corporate will throw you under the bus to satisfy rude and even unruly customers. Makes you less of a human the longer you stay

Advice to Management

Don't be so negative. Take some of the thousands of dollars in GM bonuses and share some with rest of team. Increase pay for cashiers. Rewards cards are less important than sales. More payroll everyday

2. "Not worth it"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Bayamon, PR
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Bayamon, PR

I worked at Shoe Carnival part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only pro I can think of is the discount, that is you plan on buying footwear or accessories. And that's about it

Cons

Minimum hours, some weeks you will just receive 5 hours, and they still overwork you. Upper management think they can do whatever they want with you and exploit you.

Advice to Management

Value your employees and give them good hours every week, not just your favorite employee that kisses up to you.

3. "Bad, bad... VERY BAD EXPERIENCE"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

Pros

None that I can think of.

Cons

1) Inappropriate employee evaluation methods
    2) No training in important cashier responsibilities with harsh discipline
    3) Hostile environment to work in
    4) Apparent sex and drug use between certain key employees, one married.
    5) Constant badmouthing of employees and customers behind their backs
    6) Someone changing cash register money amounts to get specific employees in trouble. Others know about it and do nothing.
    7) People in certain positions flirting with store employees

Advice to Management

Corporate Office- Change most of this store's management values toward customer service and ethical behavior and you'll see the turnover and understaffing problem resolved.

"General Manager"

Current Employee - General Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - General Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Shoe Carnival full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits are the only good thing I can say about working here. There is nothing else good about this company anymore.

Cons

Where do I begin? The pay is extremely low for every in store position. It makes it extremely difficult to hire anyone decent when they can go to any other company and make more. Staffing becomes an even bigger issue when corporate continually cuts payroll to make the stocks look good for the shareholders. This means that as a manager you will be doing the majority of the work because any time you have to schedule people they'll be on register if you're in a smaller store. Meanwhile they continue to add to the workload with new programs that take up more of your time. When the regional comes in to visit the store you are then berated and belittled for not being able to get everything done. You will be made to feel worthless and as if you are terrible at your job. The company makes continually changing goals for the rewards program sign ups and your will be made to feel as if your job is threatened if you don't meet them. In order to get everything completed you can expect to be working at least 70 hours a week. If you decide to ask for help from anyone in upper management you can rest assured that the answer to all your problems is for you to work even more hours. If you don't ask for help you'll be told you are a moron for not asking for help when you need it. This ensures that you are wrong no matter what option you choose.
    You will get a decent amount of vacation time but good luck using it. You will constantly be in situations where using it will be impossible and you will just end up losing it every year. If you complain about it this will also come back to being your fault somehow.
    There will be no work/life balance working here. It is expected that your life will revolve around the company and you will be expected to drop everything at a moments notice and be here if asked. If you don't, you will be constantly bullied and made to feel like you're an awful person repeatedly. Make no mistake, upper management also holds grudges so you will be reminded of the one time you didn't come in months and months after the incident occured.

The problems in this company are systemic. It all starts with a culture of bullying and a lack of care for the employees at the coprorate level. It filters all the way down the chain until it gets to the store management. I have tried to shield my employees from it as best I can however it isn't always possible when they see the way I'm treated by my superiors.

This is a company that I believe actively despises it's employees and does everything it can to treat them as of they are slaves owned by the company. The real tradgedy in all of this is that under the previous CEO this was a good place to work. The problems started when he retired and the company became more concerned with making the numbers look good than with treating employees like human beings. I've worked here for 15 years and in all in store positions as I worked my way up the ladder and I've seen it all. I used to try to get people jobs here, now I warn them to stay away.

Advice to Management

Learn that you have to spend money to make money.

Treat the employees like people instead of like chattel.

Actually do something to help with issues instead of playong the blame game.

Pay a decent wage so that managers actually have something to offer better candidates.

"Store Planning Nightmare"

Current Employee - Construction Manager in Evansville, IN
    Current Employee - Construction Manager in Evansville, IN

I have been working at Shoe Carnival full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

NONE-ZERO Paycheck maybe? Company is somehow successful.

Cons

Where do I start? Serious corruption issues within dept. Poor decision making is replicated over and over again. Zero support from the executive team and if you speak up you will be retaliated against guaranteed. HR is worthless and out to protect themselves. Bonus is non existent. The travel percentage is 90% even though they advertise the position as 40%. You can carry the person who makes the bad decisions and get no thanks in return.

Advice to Management

Take care of your people that made you successful.

"cashier"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alcoa, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alcoa, TN

I worked at Shoe Carnival part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Worked at the one in Alcoa.For the most part it was a very easy boring job. So if you want to just stand around all day it would work.

Cons

20 words not enough. Worst job EVER! Managers were terrible! Talked to the employees like crap on a daily basis.

Advice to Management

Stop talking down to your employees. Then making fun of them when it gets brought up that you do.

"Terrible environment!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Evansville, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Evansville, IN

Pros

Zero. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. Nil.

Cons

management is a joke at corporate. Liars and two-faced.

Advice to Management

Follow your own handbook!

"Payroll Coordinator"

Former Employee - Payroll Coordinator in Evansville, IN
    Former Employee - Payroll Coordinator in Evansville, IN

I worked at Shoe Carnival (Less than a year)

Pros

corporate/ busy/been around for years

Cons

snobby/unhappy place/very uptight/moody/high school enviorment

"Not for any individual with a family"

Current Employee - General Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - General Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Shoe Carnival full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are actually pretty good. Unfortunately the work environment is bad.

Cons

You will never have a life outside of work, say goodbye to your family. Im not kidding! Regional Managers have way too much power and they will not approve any PTO if deemed hurtful to any operations of the store. The management turnover is extremely high among lower and middle store management. Many things are promised but never delivered.

Advice to Management

Select Regional Managers with people skills, we are all a team and treat everyone with respect. If you take care of your people, your people will take care of you. HR has no clue whats going on in the field, and they need/must perform surveys.

10. "Unorgasation at its Max!!!"

Former Employee - Department Lead in Amarillo, TX
    Former Employee - Department Lead in Amarillo, TX

I worked at Shoe Carnival part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-I had one of the best floor managers.
    -My Coworkers

Cons

-Pay!!!
    -HR!!!
    -priorities didn't correspond with what was needed

Advice to Management

My managers always believed that guilt tripping was the way to go.