Shoe Carnival Reviews | Glassdoor

Shoe Carnival Reviews

Updated June 3, 2017

2.0
Shoe Carnival President, Chief Executive Officer and Chief Merchandising Officer Clifton E. Sifford
Clifton E. Sifford

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Full time means working at least 32 hours a week (or it may be 31 (in 17 reviews)

• Fun environment with freedom to make an impact (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, not much advancement in the company when starting out as an associate (in 20 reviews)

• upper management plays favorites (in 17 reviews)

1. "Can be better"

Former Employee - Lead in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Lead in Richmond, VA

I worked at Shoe Carnival part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discounts
    Works with schedule (flexibility)
    Coworkers (sometimes)

Cons

The demand for reward cards are getting to be impossible and management telling you that you suck if you do not meet the goal so people stop caring and trying.
    Management could do more to help with the store but does not and comes down on associates when the store looks bad. COOPERATE DOES NOT CARE ABOUT EMPLOYEES. Not once on their visit have I been asked in my 3+ years working there, if everything is okay in there, can there be improvements, or if I am okay in general. I only stuck around to finish school and I left when I did.

Advice to Management

Help out more with the store especially when it is busy.

"Floor Supervisor"

Former Employee - Floor Supervisor in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Floor Supervisor in Dallas, TX

I worked at Shoe Carnival full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

After a few months of working full time the PTO and holiday pay are decent. And if you work overtime it can be really nice if you are not salaried. Co-workers were great, however....

Cons

Upper management (i.e. district and regionals) seems to care very little about the welfare of the management members it oversees. General Managers are put under an enormous amount of pressure and have to hit so many goals large and small that it overwhelms them. These goals have to be met while payroll gets slashed to the bone and GMs practically have to kill themselves to take up the slack. GM pay seems decent and so does the pay for part-time associates. Pay for floor supervisors and assistant managers is a joke though with MINISCULE yearly pay increases (1-2 percent) even after a decent review. Experiences may differ from region to region, but by and large one should carefully consider working here if you want to feel truly valued.

Advice to Management

Stop focusing so much on the things your employees were not able to accomplish and place more emphasis on rewarding them for the things they do. If the standards you have are not being met consider compensating your key management team members more fairly (not just your store and general managers). This can go a long way to keeping morale high; happier employees will make for happier customers.

3. "Okay place to work"

Former Employee - Cashier in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier in Austin, TX

I worked at Shoe Carnival full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Had great co-workers, immediate managers wanted to help in sales.

Cons

Upper management was uninterested in hourly employees.

Advice to Management

Care more about your employees.

"Shoe Carnival from a Corporate Office Perspective"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Evansville, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Evansville, IN

I worked at Shoe Carnival full-time

Pros

Working with an incredibly diverse set of people at store level, coming from all walks of life, ethnic backgrounds, socio-economic levels, education, etc... For me this is something I enjoyed immensely. Caveat: this (diversity) was true only at store level, the corporate office was the polar opposite.

Cons

Callous, live for project completion only, 'd@mn the end users' who can't deal with it style mid and upper management. Upper management clinging to a 'don't tell me directly so I can maintain plausible deniability' chain-of-command operation. Upper management completely void of empathy for what their store managers do for them. Profit only, live for wall street mind set. Insistence that what they're doing must be right because 'we have a billion dollars in the bank'. No, literally, this is what they'll have Q1 2017, they broadcast this all over the office and at store level. Meanwhile store managers ARE their own support techs because god-forbid they should cost the company a couple hundred dollars getting adequate computer technicians on-site.

Advice to Management

Forget it, you wouldn't listen anyway so it's not even worth it. Besides, you've been told before.

5. "SMH"

Former Employee - Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Shoe Carnival full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits make this a great job and the fun atmosphere/concept make it very exciting. Always fun and never a dull moment.

Cons

Must be a young female or do A LOT of you know what kissing to advance. In an industry where your accomplishments as well as your abilities should matter, they don't matter as much.

Advice to Management

Watch your AS and your LPMM and make sure they are making good decisions based on abilities, knowledge and experience. Not decisions on who may smile at them a lot and or correspond with them on a regular basis. This market has seen a lot of favoritism in the past and it is still happening today. People notice and it is borderline if not true discrimination.

"What do we do next...?"

Current Employee - General Manager in Evansville, IN
    Current Employee - General Manager in Evansville, IN

I have been working at Shoe Carnival full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fun family friendly environment with customers. Can really build a great sales team. Simple to learn.

Cons

Corporate and field staff not sure what to do with themselves. They want to be a big company, but are still too rooted in their small town midwestern habits.

Advice to Management

Get some better work life balance for management.

"Store Manager=glorified stock person/cashier"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Very good benefits and paid time off. I had a great General Manager and that made the job tolerable. Decent pay for retail as store manager.

Cons

Very little time to coach/develop talent since you do everything from cashier/stock/mic person as a Store Manager (which is actually deceptive; "Assistant Manager" would be a more accurate title since the GM manages the store). Long hours on your feet. This is not a job for those who expect to be able to sit down on occasion. You will be required to stand/bend/stoop for 9-12 hours a day. Some stores in my region (including mine) were not taking breaks as prescribed in the company handbook. This is not an intellectually challenging position at all.

Advice to Management

Observe the 15 minute breaks as prescribed by the company handbook at the store level. Have prospects job shadow....or at least be brutally honest that this is a fast-paced gig with lots of time on your feet before extending job offers. Make career advancement easier for General Managers. There are 20+ year pros serving as GM's in this region who are bitter because there are no opportunities for growth anytime soon.

""Meh""

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Zanesville, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Zanesville, OH

I worked at Shoe Carnival part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

In my 8 months at working for Shoe Carnival I can say that there is a lovely customer base, you will have a lot of regulars if you live in a smaller town. They are very flexible when it comes to your schedule. The 25% off discount is always nice.

Cons

Oh where to begin. First off the pay rate and hours suck. I averaged 1-3 days a week, and with only being payed $8.20 an hour, I could barely pay my car insurance and cellphone bill. If you don't force people to sign up for the Shoe Perks rewards program and get your 40% you will get fired. The drama between coworkers was horrible. Also in my case when I put in my 2 weeks the 5 days I had already been scheduled to work had been brought down to only two days. The managers choose favorites, if they don't like you as much as another employee you will get worked less hours.

Advice to Management

You need to realize that forcing a customer to sign up for a Shoe Perks card will not make them come back.

9. "I'd look somewhere else"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Shoe Carnival (More than a year)

Pros

Meeting new people everyday, hours where good

Cons

low pay, horrible managers. managers act like they are in high school, drama, no room for advancement

Advice to Management

Train your managers better and listen to employees.

"Tiring"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Shoe Carnival full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Laid back Not a hard job at all
    Only really busy during holidays
    Time and a half on holidays
    Team work is good as well.

Cons

Rude customers who will try to get over on you by saying a specific shoe was for a specific price and you know it wasn't and will argue you down....Trifling customers who will try on a pile of shoes and just walk and leave the ones their not buying...And low pay they at $7.25 so imagine making that and being part time...smh

Advice to Management

LET US BE OFF ON HOLIDAYS ESPECIALLY THANKSGIVING...WE MIGHT BE EMPLOYEES BUT WE'RE PEOPLE TOO AND WE HAVE FAMILIES ITS NOT FAIR...AND RAISE THE PAY $7.25 Hr AND BEING PART OR FULL-TIME IS NOT DOING ANYTHING THATS GAS MONEY NOT BILL MONEY EVERYBODY ELSE STARTING AT $9 YOU ALL ARE A MULTI BILLION DOLLAR COMPANY STOP BEING CHEEKY AND GIVE US THE MONEY WE DESERVE WE WORK OUR BUTTS OFF... WE DO NOT NEED YOU...YOU NEED US CAUSE HOW ELSE YOU GONNA MAKE MONEY WITH NO EMPLOYEES OR CUSTOMERS!!!!!!!