Shoe Carnival Reviews | Glassdoor

Shoe Carnival Reviews

Updated July 21, 2017

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Shoe Carnival President, Chief Executive Officer and Chief Merchandising Officer Clifton E. Sifford
Clifton E. Sifford

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good People, can be a fun environment (in 18 reviews)

• Full time means working at least 32 hours a week (or it may be 31 (in 17 reviews)

1. "Seriously"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Shoe Carnival part-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of freedom . You aren't pressured to sell anything . You basically just have to show up .

Cons

The management is sexist . The raises suck . I worked there for a year and got a 7 cent raise and they never gave me my 3 or 6 month evaluation .

Advice to Management

Teach your staff to sell . Set personal sale goals , and promote from within the company more often .

"Stay Away from one in SA!!"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Shoe Carnival part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The goal of the company and the aim towards a more fun environment is different

Cons

Questionable management
    Little to no training
    Deadening work environment
    You are a tool

Advice to Management

Employees are people too. Don't show favoritism.

"It's okay and laid back when the regional manager is not caught up in his feelings."

Current Employee - Floor Supervisor

I have been working at Shoe Carnival full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best thing about working here at Shoe Carnival is the easy work and laid back days.

Cons

The worst thing is the inconsistencies of corporate and regional managers.

Advice to Management

Advice to regional manager is learn the demographics of the stores you are over. My location is in Alabama and stop comparing stores to your store 3 in Indiana. Stop coming in stores changing the flow of shoes because you feel some type of way that morning and then your boss change it the next visit. It makes the company look incompetent which majority in higher authority are. And stop trying to make people become GM certified. Once again you have good test takers but are horrible managers that are clueless on managing a store. Can we please have our Thanksgiving Day back so we can spend with our families like you do with yours? I know that is laughable to you.

"The Worst Place I've EVER Worked"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Cary, NC

I have been working at Shoe Carnival part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The discount is decent 25% off of all your purchases.

Cons

Slow pace, incredibly low starting salary for all employees, no commission, workplace favoritism, regional managers stop by every so often to just be condescending and rude but they have no idea what they're actually doing. I had a higher up get on me for some arbitrary issue with a customer then i watched as she struggled to work a cash register.
    This company is an absolute joke. I worked with a racist manager, Casey... she made us follow around black customers. Then her favorite little race coded topic was "lazy people on welfare." I've had my General Manager Kristina Hayes accuse people of being drunk on the job. There was one time my GM "borrowed" money from my drawer and another black young man who was a cashier. She said it was accounted for but somehow there was EXACTLY $5 missing from both of our drawers. Then my GM would take 2 hour lunch breaks and hound me over the 2way when she felt I was taking to long in the bathroom. When I called JR, the regional manager to talk about my grievances, he took me to the back and yelled at me about how there is no favoritism going on in this company... yea right. When I told him there was some paperwork and a training video that were somewhat contradictory and unclear on policy, he refused to let me review either. I remember my coworker was telling me that JR called him into the office and showed him a video of him and I smiling during a slow day and JR says to him "What was so funny?" Oh and how could I forget Greg, the leader of security. This guy is a failed cop who would die for shoe carnival. I've had this guy follow me out of the store when I came to get my check on my day off. I mean this company was just literally a nightmare. I could go on and on with horror stories and I was only there for a few months. There's a reason why their turnover rate is so high.. it's like 80 percent. They tell upper management that the employees are college kids or that they're just no good but nope. I worked there for like 6 months and saw 5 people quit or get fired. AVOID THIS COMPANY AT ALL COSTS!!!

Advice to Management

You hire some horrible managers. I know your company turnover rate is extremely high. You hire terrible General managers who do NO work, and you've got regional managers who are not reasonable or respectful to their subordinates in the LEAST. Company culture starts from the top down.. there needs to be major changes made to this company on all levels.

5. "Horrible"

Former Employee - Cash Lead
    Former Employee - Cash Lead

I worked at Shoe Carnival part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The discount was sometimes nice

Cons

Low pay, horrible hours, unwillingness to promote female employees

6. "Enjoyed the work but different days off each week couldn't plan anything"

Current Employee - Floor Supervisor in Evansville, IN
    Current Employee - Floor Supervisor in Evansville, IN

Pros

The work environment was fun

Cons

Everything was all over the place and just didn't have anything normal

Advice to Management

Look other place

"Dont apply for the job"

Current Employee - Floor Supervisor

Pros

Discount on shoes. Some weekends off

Cons

Long hours horrible management the rules dont aply for everyone. Managers barrow money from lower paied staff never pays it all back. Sleeps in the office out of camras view. Sleeps in car for hours on end at lunch time. And accusing employees of theft without proff. Back stabbing managers. No one ever tells u good job but will point out every thing you do wrong.

Advice to Management

Be fair to all your employees.

"It is the worst place I have ever worked but I have to pay the bills. Manager is not willing to teach you anything."

I have been working at Shoe Carnival full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I need a pay check

Cons

If you like doing nothing learning nothing this is the job for you.

Advice to Management

Pay better. Look at your store managers

"Horrible"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Shoe Carnival part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Being a mic person and making announcements is pretty fun. It's something you can't do in other retail environments.

Cons

I'm constantly being teased and picked on by my managers and supervisors. For the past several weeks, my hours have been knocked down to 1 day a week. If you don't get enough money in for the day, they start forcing people to go home and that knocks down your hours even more. Even though you have no hours, they still hire new people, so that's even LESS hours. I would talk to my manager about it, but the one time I wanted my hours changed one day, he went off on me saying that I needed to take the shift that I was given or not come in at all. I took that day off and lost even more hours.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect. This is supposed to be a 'fun' place to work, but we're pretty much told to not have fun. I would report my managers for harassment against me, but I'm going to quit instead.

"A Surprise in Store Indeed!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier

I have been working at Shoe Carnival part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The employee discount is good, the mic concept is actually pretty fun and my co-workers were really fun.

Cons

I'm going to start with the schedule: They rarely gives you a weekend off. If someone call that he/she can't make it (often on weekends) they call you with a few time ahead and if you can't they get upset with you. You have to work on holidays and it's a nightmare. The shifts are waaaaaay too long and they give you like 30 min break. You will not get family time, you are expected to live, eat, and breathe Shoe Carnival.
    Promotions: I have been working there for a year and there is a lot of opportunity to promote some good employees, but they prefer to hire someone else from outside. One of the sales associates I work with, didn't do anything she was rude and did not worked well at all, got promoted to cashier, like REALLY!? apparently you have to be a bad employee to get a promotion.
    Corporate: They sent they regional manager a couple of days back and he wants to do a lot of changes that will not help the store at all and will only add work to us. He is rude and he doesn't like anything.

Advice to Management

Promote people who works hard, do not promote associates only because of your favoritism. Give more incentives to people who deserves it and more bonus throughout the year.